Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

39. The Exterminating Angel (1962)

Mexican cinema at it's finest is this highly refined piece of psychological surrealist film making. Like Nuremberg I didn't care for it much when it was watched it but since I still remember it vividly I decided to include it in my top. I think it's the only spanish language film in here.

Unregistered User
39. The Exterminating Angel (1962)

Mexican cinema at it's finest is this highly refined piece of psychological surrealist film making. Like Nuremberg I didn't care for it much when it was watched it but since I still remember it vividly I decided to include it in my top. I think it's the only spanish language film in here.

Bunuel is a director I really need to see more from. I thought this was great although I preferred his Belle De Jour.

38. Solaris (1972)

Solaris is the first Tarkovsky movie on this list and also was the first I watched. It's an impressive psychological horror movie, well, in the sense of dread and awe that it evoked. It's cinema at its most serious and powerful.

Also, look at this picture I found of Tarkovsky and Kurosawa:

I didn't know Tarkovsky was so short since Kurosawa wasn't tall.

Anyway this story is cool:
http://www.cinematheia.com/akira-kur...rei-tarkovsky/

“Tarkovsky was sitting in the corner of the screening room watching the film with me, but he got up as soon as the film was over and looked at me with a shy smile. I said to him, “It’s very good. It’s a frightening movie.” He seemed embarrassed but smiled happily.
Then the two of us went to a film union restaurant and toasted with vodka. Tarkovsky, who does not usually drink, got completely drunk and cut off the speakers at the restaurant, then began singing the theme of Seven Samurai at the top of his voice. I joined in, eager to keep up. At that moment, I was very happy to be on Earth.”

Kurosawa and Tarkovsky: the two greatest filmmakers in history together.

37. Gladiator (2000)

Now this was a good movie. It's the classic historical Hollywood epic executed perfectly. It's simple and elegant and I had a big impact from it when I watched in theaters when I was 11, still being among my favorite movies.

36. Barry Lyndon (1975)

With a visual style that is heavily inspired by 18th century landscape painting. It's spectacular visuals were obtained through very careful techniques using ambient light.

Barry Lyndon is Kubrick at his most sarcastic: the film is pretty much a 3 hour long comedy on slow motion and it can even trick some unsuspecting viewers that it is a drama, I almost cried the first time I watched it in fact . Kubrick was a genius and perhaps the greatest Hollywood movie director ever and this is one of his top masterpieces.

Solaris is really great. Think i've thought more about Stalker and i'll get more out of that on a rewatch but i enjoyed Solaris more. I had the trippiest experience while watching it, at the start of it i got toothache out of nowhere so i took a few painkillers then i started feeling insanely nauseous and dizzy ended up falling asleep when he got to the station then i woke up and was fine, started it from the start again and i loved it. Weird coincidence that happened during an already trippy film. The 4 hour long car ride scene was insane when i was feeling like that, i was mesmerized. I'm guessing it's similar to what watching 2001 on the big screen on acid would be like haha.

Gladiator is very enjoyable, don't like it as much as you but it's definitely entertaining.

Barry Lyndon is one of the films i need to see most, no clue why i haven't by now. Kubrick is someone i've really took my time with i only watched Paths of Glory for the first time this year. Just Killer's Kiss and Barry Lyndon left now.

I saw Gladiator once at the cinema and didn't care much for it, although that's around the time I stopped enjoying going to the movies in general.

Barry Lyndon is one of my favorite period pieces, the type of movie I don't generally care for.

Can't wait to see the suggestions!

34. Bicycle Thieves (1948)

Now this was a powerful movie. The classic "suffering underdog" story that reflected the painful conditions of post-war Italy in the late 40's. Rotting for the father and son to find the bicycle is hearth wrenching.

33. The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014)

Takahata's final film was extremely powerful and elegant. It's the first film he was able to do without any restrictions: the art style is fairly unique as it represents what Takahata wanted to do but couldn't do before due to budget restrictions which forced him to adhere to the aesthetic standards of the Japanese industry.

82. The Elephant Man (1980)

Now that is a powerful drama movie. It shows Lynch knows how to do melodrama. And yes, it's the 2nd Lynch to show up here.
Very pleased to see this movie on your list...it is absolutely heartbreaking.

32. Shoah (1985)

Now this was a powerful documentary. One of the very few French movies in this list (indeed it's a list lacking in any traditional French films).

31. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

How can a best movie list work without Aguirre showing up? Absolutely essential performance from the greatest actor who ever lived.

30. The Matrix (1999)

Perhaps the pinnacle of modern Hollywood is The Matrix. Why it is so great? Well, the Matrix is among American movies made in the past 20 years the one that reflects the spirit of our times the best. It also features some of the best special effects of it's time and philosophical food for though, essentially a live action "anime".

I would say Bicycle Thieves, Shoah, and Aguirre are the best of the last 5, although I also enjoyed Princess Kaguya and The Matrix as well.

29. Sans Soleil (1982)

The last documentar to show up in my list. It is a documentary that is not really a traditional documentary like Shoah but a art documentary that is essentially an experimental film that portrays itself as a documentary.

27. The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979)

While looking at this top 100 I noticed the relative lack of new movies in the list. I mean by new the fact that my top 100 from 2012 has about 90% of the movies this list has. The reason is that I have been mostly into other hobbies like TV series and manga lately. But I watched some movies that have made into my top 100 recently. One of those is The Man Who Stole the Sun, a great movie that's basically the Japanese version of Taxi Driver, but with a more conventional visual style.