The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, i think she went through every emotion possible in the time between her discovering it and cutting it up then when she made that decision she had settled on anger. I think her leaving her friend at the road was when she had regained her personhood and confidence, by that point she probably wasn't angry anymore.
I agree. There was no sign of anger, only farewell. Leaving her money and walking away was a turning of a page for her.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It is a kind of twisted loophole where I actually bobbed my head back and forth during that scene where she puts her name and just gave it to her, thinking: he did write "It's for you" and once a gift is given, it's kinda up to the receiver on what becomes of it. . . sorta.

and nice Sherlock move, @gbgoodies noticing the ring on her finger.
Yeah, he dedicates it to her like some people dedicate their books to friends or their parents or whatever. I don't remember any ring but it wouldn't be surprising if they were engaged. That'd actually give further reason for Morvern to be angered.
Agreed that he wanted the credit for writing the novel posthumously, and she stole that from him. I don't remember a ring.
I don't remember a ring either but it's certainly possible. I think the key to the ring is when (and where but gbg said it was on the right finger) was she wearing it? If it was before she disposed of the body then she was likely engaged or married, i don't see her keeping it on afterwards though she was claiming he left her.
A ring is possible, when I say I didn't see it, I mean I just didn't look for it so didn't notice it.

These are screen shots from the very beginning of the movie, BEFORE we even know that he is dead. She is wearing a ring on the ring finger of her left hand.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morvern-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	39952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morvern-2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	39953  

Europa, Europa

One thing here is i'm lucky i went into this knowing it's apparently a true story, otherwise i would have been annoyed by a fair amount of this. I still don't know how much of it is true but it at least made me think of it as something crazy that actually happened rather than an incredibly contrived story. There was so many coincidences and right place at the right time moments, but apparently they actually happened. Some parts didn't work that well for me like the majority of the Nazi School part due to this, Jupp being picked for the examination and the various other "he might be caught" moments were just frustrating at that point as absolutely everything in the film had happened to him by then and there was zero tension in it, but i was fine with most of it. I'm still definitely skeptical both of this as an accurate adaptation of his book and of the truth of Perel's claims, and the ending with "your story won't be believed" genuinely pissed me off, but it was nuts and entertaining anyway and by the time that was said i had already enjoyed a lot of the film.

This didn't get to me emotionally like a lot of holocaust films, but maybe that wasn't a bad thing since there's a million other holocaust films that set out to depress you. Seemed this was quickly paced so it didn't dwell on a lot of the sad and disturbing things; not sure if it was intentional or not but i liked that in the sense that people then rarely could dwell on that sort of stuff in the middle of a war where more hardships are likely to come, particularly jews living in Germany like shown here. The Nazi's attack their house while he's in a bath and he quickly runs out and jumps in a barrel next time we see him any of the unpleasantness the Nazi's bestowed has passed, same thing with his sisters death; we don't see it she's just dead then we quickly move on. Another reason for this was the films tone, humour and the main character who seemed barely affected by any of this. This was certainly a unique perspective on this time period and these events. One thing i like about that is this is apparently a first hand account of these events and people like me who have no connection to it try to pigeonhole it into what we imagine it was like when there obviously wasn't one commonly held experience of these times. I mean he says stuff like "When war broke out i was glad because the police would forget about the bicycle incident and father wouldn't get mad" . It's also an interesting tale of survival. Something you see a lot in war stories is people not giving up their faith or staying loyal to their country or whatever, that's definitely noble and admirable but you'd think no one in the 40's thought of self-preservation. Well our main character certainly does and it was refreshing to watch and brought up some interesting questions.

Alot of this reminded me of the young part of Once Upon a Time in America and he kind of reminded me of Noodles for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just film about Jews made around the same time or something, just wanted to throw that out there. Maybe it was both dealing with tough situations and them barely reacting to it just going on and acting like normal kids, Noodles situation obviously wasn't as bad but he was growing up poor in a crime ridden ghetto. The other film it reminded me of was Forrest Gump, that's basically what this was before Forrest Gump was made haha. He's even somehow there for Stalin's son's capture, not just that he plays a central role The interesting thing about this is comparison was he wasn't some unaware person due to his mental capabilities like Gump, he had to consciously navigate these crazy situations to survive while coming of age in the process. Not to mention us seeing the villains of history as allies, mentors and friends of him, just living as they normally do; was a weird insight into their side. For example when i mentioned tragedies or death or whatever not being dwelled on earlier, the one that's dwelled on most and probably get the biggest reaction from him is his Nazi friends death; definitely didn't expect to see a jew genuinely broken up about a nazi's death.

Now the narration, that was weird. There's a part when he's on a boat while he's narrating then he's thrown into the water and he stops narrating and takes a deep breath, as if he was narrating it in present time. That can't be possible as he talks in past tense constantly and with hindsight, not sure if the writers thought that'd be cute or what but it was mostly baffling to me and took me right out of the movie. Have some other general complaints but that was something that genuinely annoyed me because i was into the tone when that happened, thankfully there was no more of that when it went on. His narration was hilarious at times in fact; it was usually just him clarifying what was going on but it was always ridiculous and insane. My favourite was when he was just told the Captain wants to adopt him, can't remember the exact words but the "staunch anti-semite" part cracked me up. Performance wise i overall think everyone did a good job. My biggest surprise was Julie Delpy. I saw her name on the poster then by the time she appeared i had forgot she was even in it, was weird seeing her so young she was good.

I had some problems with this but overall i liked it a good amount, mostly because it was very entertaining and despite the subject matter a very easy watch mostly due to its pacing and humour. Actually the thing i'd praise this film for more than anything was that the humour never felt inappropriate to me even though i think it should have. Good nom JJ. That's two noms now i had the wrong impression of going in. I thought this was going to be another straight depressing holocaust or just general WWII movie, and honestly i was kind of dreading it as i've seen tonnes of those so glad it turned out to be something different. Most importantly though i can now cross off my bucket list: watch Stalin and Hitler dance together

That's four left for me: Little Women, The Last Supper, Orlando and The Ascent. Going to watch Little Women next, most likely on Sunday or Monday. I'm not going to rewatch We Need To Talk About Kevin but i'm going to try and get something posted about it from memory. Also with Europa, Europa and ed's review of Little Women last night everything has been reviewed at least once

So, that definitely adds quite a bit to the emotional aspect of Morvern's motives.
Personally, i don't think it changes the emotional aspect much. I guess it confirms this was a serious relationship but i wasn't in any doubt of that considering her reaction. What i do think it does is confirms she would have likely got the proceeds either way making it clear her stealing the book was a stab at him. Well maybe not clear but it at least backs up my interpretation a bit, and there can't be any doubt that she stole the book now IMO.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Europa Europa

I thought this was really great. I’d been a bit dubious about putting the dvd on as I thought it would be super depressing and stately paced but it wasn’t at all. It’s more of a picaresque romp, Tom Jones meets Au Revoir Les Enfants. That sounds like it might be awful - humour and the holocaust can make and uncomfortable mix - but though Saloman’s adventures from Russian communist orphanage to the front as an interpreter to the Hitler youth are comic, the potential dangers of his situation and the general awfulness of the war are always present and it is through the satirical nature that the film raises some serious questions. What would you do to survive? Is survival at any cost the right choice? Zenek is the most honest character, standing up for his own beliefs before the communists but in trying to expose Saloman later, does he take that too far? How does playing a role for a long time affect your ‘real’ identity? Does not sharing in a group’s suffering make you any less a part of that group?

It could be difficult to pull this film off, tonally, but Holland absolutely succeeds. The world of the film is not hyper realistic (even leaving aside the fantasy sequences), it’s full of coincidences and unlikely events (somewhat exaggerated from the true story it is based on) which should be annoying but works perfectly and supports the general fantastical, ironic story it’s trying to tell. I liked, too, that there were a variety of different nuanced characters and viewpoints, from the brainwashed Leni to her anxious mother who can’t understand how seriously she takes everything. And Saloman himself seems believably self-involved for a teenager - he’s alright when the war breaks out because then he won’t be in trouble for running into someone with his bicycle. I bet there are a lot of teenagers in a lot of countries who would have had similar feelings. Every new location brings him a new opportunity to try his luck with a new girl (including a young Julie Delpy), which is obviously high on his list of priorities. It’s only really at the end when he sees the camp that he gets that however difficult he has had it, his experiences have been very different from other people’s.

The film looks good, too. The dvd was weird because it was a small square in the middle of my TV, but as a film it was well shot. There were a lot of good, quotable lines (which I won't quote because they have more impact in context). The scene in which he wistfully draws a star of David on the window was really powerful, perhaps that and other powerful, shocking or tragic moments were made the more so because of the general upbeat tone - within a relentlessly depressing film you can become numb to awful events whereas here these moments stood out all the more.

Altogether I really, really liked it and I’m so glad it was nominated because I’m not sure I would otherwise have got round to it.

I only read the first line of T Next's review so that sounds good.

Regarding Morvern Callar, I thought they were married the whole time until after when I read somewhere he was a BF.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Europa, Europa

The other film it reminded me of was Forrest Gump, that's basically what this was before Forrest Gump was made haha. He's even somehow there for Stalin's son's capture, not just that he plays a central role The interesting thing about this is comparison was he wasn't some unaware person due to his mental capabilities like Gump, he had to consciously navigate these crazy situations to survive while coming of age in the process. Not to mention us seeing the villains of history as allies, mentors and friends of him, just living as they normally do; was a weird insight into their side. For example when i mentioned tragedies or death or whatever not being dwelled on earlier, the one that's dwelled on most and probably get the biggest reaction from him is his Nazi friends death; definitely didn't expect to see a jew genuinely broken up about a nazi's death.
Forrest Gump - that's an interesting comparison and I think you've nailed the differences between the two. Europa Europa is very much a coming of age film - he is just a normal teenager who wants to live, to belong (and to get laid). I think that's part of why he's taken aback by his friend's death, because they were friends, to him he was just a boy his age. I'm not sure that is the biggest reaction to a death though, he's also shocked by
WARNING: "deaths" spoilers below
the other boy's death even though he denounced him, the girl at the farm and particularly Robert

I think that's part of why he's taken aback by his friend's death, because they were friends, to him he was just a boy his age.[/spoilers]
No by Nazi friend i meant:
WARNING: "europa europa" spoilers below
the Nazi who discovered he was a jew, not the kid his age. Should have clarified. That could be that he was in the middle of a battle and he was scared and exhausted as well to be fair.

To add to that:

WARNING: "europa" spoilers below
My main point there was the dwelling on it. Seemed we skipped by a lot of other deaths, there was a good 30 seconds-1 minute overhead shot of him crying by the body.

We're nearly a third of the way into this with over 10 weeks to go Still i'd personally recommend people don't put the films off too much as we're past the two extra weeks now and it's very easy to fall behind/be overwhelmed.

Let the night air cool you off
I haven't seen Europa Europa in a few years, so it'll be a nice refresher to see if I agree with Camo's annoyance or fall more in line with TN's feeling of the fantastical tone allowing for these coincidences. I do understand that same feeling Camo has though, because sometimes ridiculous contrivances can ruin an experience, but often times if a film has done enough good elsewhere I'm more willing to forgive this transgression. I don't really remember if that was the case with this film or not, and honestly I mainly nominated it because I wanted to go back and revisit it. I remember being a big fan of it the first time I saw it, so I hope it holds up. I do remember, somewhat, the glossing over tragedies aspect, but that sort of feels realistic to me. I've only dealt with one horrible thing in my life, and it was quite recently, and it's pretty disturbing the way life just keeps rolling along. I'm still busted up and depressed about it, but life hasn't slowed down for me. I can imagine being a Jew disguising myself as a Nazi in the middle of World War II, things would probably be going a whole Hell of a lot faster. There's probably not much time to let these things soak in. I'm happy to see that it was mostly warmly received by the two of you, I'm looking forward to see what cricket and the others have to say about it.

...Regarding Morvern Callar, I thought they were married the whole time until after when I read somewhere he was a BF.
During the movie, I thought they were boyfriend/girlfriend, but afterwards I read this at IMDB

After her beloved husband's suicide, a mourning supermarket worker and her best friend hit the road in Scotland, but find that grief is something that you can't run away from forever.
But of course that's just somebodies opinion and written by an IMDB user (I think?)

I do remember, somewhat, the glossing over tragedies aspect, but that sort of feels realistic to me. I've only dealt with one horrible thing in my life, and it was quite recently, and it's pretty disturbing the way life just keeps rolling along. I'm still busted up and depressed about it, but life hasn't slowed down for me. I can imagine being a Jew disguising myself as a Nazi in the middle of World War II, things would probably be going a whole Hell of a lot faster.
Agreed with all of that for the record. I actually tried to say the same kind of thing myself with they couldn't exactly stop to dwell and mourn on the various tragedies. I overall liked the pace and that this wasn't a typical sad holocaust film, it was actually really funny at times to me at least.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Another thing that I wanted to mention about Morvern Callar is about a specific song that I heard in the movie. I usually don't notice the music in movies (that aren't musicals), but I noticed this because it's a song that probably nobody else here has heard, and I thought it was an odd song choice.

In one of the final scenes in the movie, just before the end credits when she is in a bar, the song in the background is a country song called "Special Occasions" sung by Joe Barnhill. The song is about missing someone all the time, and basically not being able to get them out of your mind, but in the movie, Morvern doesn't seem to even think about her boyfriend (maybe fiancé or husband) at all.

I just thought that was interesting and worth mentioning.