what Best Action Movies of 2017 ?

Tools    

MY : John Wick: Chapter 2

YOU ?

Can you elaborate a bit? What did you like about John Wick? What makes it the best?

Personally, I haven't seen many. Action used to be my favorite genre (back when Arnold was king), but I've been more in to thrillers & horror for the past decades.

I suppose my favorite of what I've seen is Kong Skull Island. I've always been fascinated by the idea of lost worlds and that our perceptions/understandings of the world may only be a subset of reality. I suppose it was this idea that led me into horror.

John Wick is fantastic. Not only is the choreography great, it's got one of the best no-bull**** action movie setups in ages.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hitman's Bodyguard. Only one I can think of all year that had me singing for days.

This might just do nobody any good.
Dunkirk. Nolan’s most showman like effort, and that last shot of Tom Hardy and his plane? Classic stuff.

Dunkirk. Nolan’s most showman like effort, and that last shot of Tom Hardy and his plane? Classic stuff.
Have to try that one. I like Nolan and haven't seen it. Sounds good.

It’s his most experimental film, structure-wise.

john wick chapter 2 indeed

I really enjoyed wick 1 but couldnt get into wick 2 so I left it for another time.

John Wick 2 is fine. Like an extra-long trailer for part 3, which has much more ass-kicking potential (Keanu vs a city of assassins).

I hope they get Tilda for a villain like they want to.

Welcome to the human race...
^It would be a good call-back to Constantine (which they also did by having Stormare in #2). As long as we're talking call-backs to other Keanu movies, I'm also hoping that they bring in Carrie-Anne Moss and Alex Winter. Why the hell not.

As for the question, John Wick 2 is definitely up there but I do want to give the edge to Baby Driver.

Wick 2[/i] is definitely up there but I do want to give the edge to Baby Driver.
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Some times I cant tell. If you're serious I'll give JWII a rewatch and BD a first watch.

The Foreigner for standard action movie.

Thor Ragnarok for pure action greatness.

People who love John Wick 2 are also fond of Call of Duty series.

Logan should be the best action movie of 2017, and I am not even a fan of Logan.

I'm not fond of Call of Duty, though. If John Wick has a videogame equivalent, it's more likely to be Max Payne.

Logan still seems more superhero movie than straight action movie, just as Dunkirk seems more war than action. That's why I wasn't sure about giving it to Baby Driver because that could plausibly be considered musical and/or comedy.

John Wick 2 is fine. Like an extra-long trailer for part 3, which has much more ass-kicking potential (Keanu vs a city of assassins).

I hope they get Tilda for a villain like they want to.

John Wick 2 was great, but I would go with The Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle which was just so much fun.

By the way, John Wick 2, The Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 all were not quite as good as the originals (even though they were all very good), they fell just a shade shy, but they all invested time and energy in creating some much larger and more interesting worlds than the first movie had. And, for that, I appreciate them and like them just as much as the first movies. They worlds that they created were all imaginative, interesting and made the worlds that much deeper and the characters that much more interesting and fleshed due to their relationships with those worlds.

to be honest, 2017 wasn't a great year for the action genre (well for me, that is) but i was blown away by John Wick: Chapter 2. It was just as great as the first one, if not better. I would say Brawl in Cell Block 99 deserves a mention too, it's always great to see an actor step outside of their comfort zone and succeed.

I do question whether we judge the films as wholes or on the basis of their action - most of the films I think of with good individual scenes are actually rather weak as a whole (Atomic Blonde, Golden Circle, F8) whereas I reckon that John Wick 2 and Baby Driver are the ones to achieve the best possible balance between good action and good film.