Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Now And Forever (Henry Hathaway, 1934)
+
Once was actually enough for me thanks

Rudy

This was absolutely everything i expected to hate it for: corny, overly sentimental, manipulative, features big meanies who have no reason to be big meanies like the high school teacher at the start who literally crushed dream(er)s with his speech, that or they just don't believe in the little guy. I have absolutely nothing to complain about though, it worked for what it is it manipulated me into caring somewhat and to be fair it's seen as an inspirational American classic for a reason; it pulls off its corny BS really well. I mean looking at the cast this could have easily have become a forgotten direct to video film if there was nothing there, Ned Beatty at the time was the biggest name and despite being talented he's never exactly been a big draw for the general public, Sean Astin is the lead and this was his first adult role; he was known as the kid from The Goonies at this time just think of all the awful/unnoticed child star to adult transitions there's been; they're always some film similar to this as well which makes it more amazing that this stuck with the public. What i think worked was the filmmaker's did something very obvious: got someone who looked like he'd never be able to make it as a Football player and made him a Football player, to be fair to Astin he did a great job pulling off his silly 'dreamer that's never gonna make it' role. Another thing was that they withheld football from us for the majority of the film, most of it is him going to Holy Cross trying to get his grades up to get into Notre Dame. They made his dream meaningful in the corniest way possible and it worked. I honestly think i greatly respect this film for doing something that i'm extremely annoyed by that well that even though i didn't love it i also didn't hate it, and this was without avoiding any of the cliches; it was just as embarrassing as plenty of other similar films i hate. Most films like this illicit a mixture of laughter and annoyance from me this i definitely laughed at but for the most part it avoided the annoyance which is a big achievment for a film like this that i didn't watch as a child. Saying that i definitely would have loved this as a child, it would have been one of those films that i'd be terrified of revisiting in case of destroying my childhood memories with an adult eye.

So yeah i can't rate this very high because i did think it was pretty horrible but i totally get the love for it anyway. For the record the janitor was the best character, love how he withheld his background until the exact perfect moment

Shenandoah (1965)

I might rate it a bit higher myself. I'm not a James Stewart fan but I really like him in this one.

Uzumaki (2000)

Definitely the best film I've ever seen about a small Japanese town obsessed with murderous spirals and vortex's.

Looks good.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Seen most of these.
Have you seen Bleak Moments? Looks decent.
I was looking for it, and there was no trace. I might be jumping the gun, but I found it on YouTube - uploaded just 2 weeks ago! Thank you so much - 1338th reason to be a MOFO.

I also saw
-Life is Sweet
-Naked
-High Hopes
-Abigail's Party (got too much at times, but I'd like to re-watch)
-Mr. Turner (the only one I didn't like)

Through a Glass Darkly

Had mixed reactions to Bergman so far, before this Wild Strawberries was the only one i loved of the four i watched. This was very good though, wasn't into it at all until after the play. Max Von Sydow and Harriet Andersson were fantastic especially the latter, i'd still say Gena Rowlands gave the best portrayal of mental illness i've seen but this came close.

-

Ehhhh, this movie was just okay imo. I only watched it because it was one of the very few Jack movies I hadn't seen. I heard the original (1946) is a whole lot better, and I don't doubt it. It was compelling at times, but for the most part, a snooze fest. Without Jack's charisma, I would rate it even lower. 5.5/10
Ditto. This 1981 treatment simply tried too hard. However, Nicholson and Lange certainly earned their money with the physical efforts alone!.

The 1946 original with Lana Turner and John Garfield is a far superior film. They sizzled without overdoing it, and the story pacing was better.

~Doc

Unregistered User
I was looking for it, and there was no trace. I might be jumping the gun, but I found it on YouTube - uploaded just 2 weeks ago! Thank you so much - 1338th reason to be a MOFO.

I also saw
-Life is Sweet
-Naked
-High Hopes
-Abigail's Party (got too much at times, but I'd like to re-watch)
-Mr. Turner (the only one I didn't like)

I also didn't like Mr Turner. Let me know what you think of Bleak Moments.

Wallace And Gromit: A Matter Of Loaf And Death

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Unregistered User

Mommy (2014)

The only other Dolan I've seen is I Killed My Mother and I didn't like it at all. This however, totally blew me away. Such a powerful and thought-provoking film with near perfect performances from the three main characters. I thought the aspect ration worked brilliantly too.

What a film.

and possibly more.

Through a Glass Darkly

Had mixed reactions to Bergman so far, before this Wild Strawberries was the only one i loved of the four i watched. This was very good though, wasn't into it at all until after the play. Max Von Sydow and Harriet Andersson were fantastic especially the latter, i'd still say Gena Rowlands gave the best portrayal of mental illness i've seen but this came close.

-
Didn't know you weren't a Bergman head like the rest of us sheep. Been a while since I saw this one but think I rated it about the same. What have you seen so far?

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Mommy (2014)

The only other Dolan I've seen is I Killed My Mother and I didn't like it at all. This however, totally blew me away. Such a powerful and thought-provoking film with near perfect performances from the three main characters. I thought the aspect ration worked brilliantly too.

What a film.

and possibly more.
Speaking of Dolan's movies, first one I saw was Love, Imagine. I was bewildered. I really reommend it, if You will be watching another Dolan's movie. Your rating says You will
Than I saw about his young age, he was born in 1989! And he's done so magnificent movies already Full of emotions and real.
BTW, I realized I haven't seen I killed my mother yet. What an oversight!

Mommy (2014)

What a film.

and possibly more.
Watch Laurence Anyways

The Invitation (2015)