Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I dont know why I let this slide under the radar for so long otherthan I might have been too attached to Sissy. I really enjoyed that with some minor nitpicks.

I dont recall the screaming in childbirth at the beginning from the book.

You can kill a pig that quickly? I think not. Neither here nor there but a bit distracting. Would have been better for me with some conflict and unnerving sound.

Carrie's hand gestures were forced and unneccessary. Once again it would have been better for me and even slightly creepy if her hands remained at her side; tht just looked clownish.

I dont recall from the book if it was explained why her mother was so messed up apart from the obvious of being a religious extremist. Moore was pretty wsted imo - she does nothing but scream and it's all I'll remember of her. From memory Piper Laurie had a much meatier role.

Holy sht some kids are just disgusting oxygen thieves. So glad I never grew up in a community like that. I saw some reviewer complain someone who looked like Chloe would never have been bullied because she was 'prettier than the other girls'. Eh, I dont think that is what bullying is about. It's about garden variety gnomes wanting everyone else to be sheeple like them to mke themselves feel better. She didnt fit in with the average so they went after her like brainless piranhas. (that is not a nitpick but an observation)

That tampon throwing scene was very difficult to watch.

Wendy and Lucy
CR, I value your opinions on film and on this film, but I have a feeling about this just by looking at the picture and hearing about the relationship between the woman and her dog and I do not trust it. If you know what I mean. Old Yeller I could take, but after that, forget it. But hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I promise it's not one of those kind of movies. The dog is never in danger, it's never shown or implied that it's abused or mistreated or anything like that....And the dog has a very happy ending

The Discovery (2017)

Last night I watched We Own The Night for the second time... originally I saw it in the theatres.

Above average crime drama, but nothing more than that. Not a bad movie, and worth seeing once, but certainly nothing special.

It had a lot of potential, but didn't deliver on it. I feel with a top notch director at the helm, it could have been a lot better. But it was okay.

5.5/10

Freehold

Hilarious, disturbing, gross, actually made me want to check under my bed which many movies boast but few deliver.. though a bit sketchy and patchwork of styles which felt quite odd at times.. verified during the end credits when the main character appears and starts rapping, wtf? still trying to process it

Welcome, or No Trespassing (1964) Russian movie about a strict summer camp director vs. a rebellious rule-breaking kid. It's a peculiar comedy that seems like a spiritual ancestor to Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, but I think very few people will ever see both movies. Directorial debut by Elem Klimov of Come and See fame. [FilmStruck]

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
I promise it's not one of those kind of movies. The dog is never in danger, it's never shown or implied that it's abused or mistreated or anything like that....And the dog has a very happy ending
Thank you, CR! I'll give it a look one day.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Welcome, or No Trespassing (1964) Russian movie about a strict summer camp director vs. a rebellious rule-breaking kid. It's a peculiar comedy that seems like a spiritual ancestor to Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, but I think very few people will ever see both movies. Directorial debut by Elem Klimov of Come and See fame. [FilmStruck]
I skimmed this, and this might be the movie to break my drought!

I found this -
-- I don't know if you're Russian, but the only option I have is to use the auto-subtitles, and was wondering if the translation was accurate.

The Seven-Ups. An elite police unit dedicated to getting results with no one asking too many questions about their methods come up against a brutal psychopath and his partner who are kidnapping Mob bosses for ransom. Roy Scheider stars in this gritty early 70s cop thriller that's watchable and entertaining enough, if nothing particularly special. An awesome car chase midway through is the standout sequence, and Richard Lynch is creepy as the villain.

Kingman: The Golden Circle - A-

Loved the movie but there were some plot turns that I am not excited about.

I found this - I don't know if you're Russian, but the only option I have is to use the auto-subtitles, and was wondering if the translation was accurate.
That's awful, way too hard to watch that way. Like Moonrise Kingdom, this movie is rather oblique even with good subtitles on FilmStruck.

This was a rewatch, but I had only seen it once before, and that was probably over 10 years ago... so essentially, I was looking at with fresh eyes.

My thoughts - decent thriller overall, but an extremely POOR imitation of The Conversation. But hey, it's not John Travolta's fault that he's no Gene Hackman, and De Palma is no Coppola.

What I liked: the cinematography was impressive, as it is all in all De Palma films, interesting and compelling plot, Travolta's acting was very good, and John Lithgow, as always, played a creepy villain.

What I didn't like: The effing lead actress, Sally. Played by Nancy Allen. Myyy GOD her character was annoying! So annoying, so ditzy, so shallow a character that I couldn't establish ANY attachment to her whatsoever, which essentially diminishes the end (which I won't give away for those who haven't seen it).

It also deteriorated into a pretty silly film towards the end, as Travolta is speeding 100 mph through the crowded streets of Philly going through a parade of thousands, and manages to avoid every.... last.... single... one of them. Just stupid. Plus, I felt that the film just lost it's whole premise after awhile, as it was SUPPOSE to be about a wide-scale, cover up murder of a prominent politician... it might have been a great film if it centered around Travolta looking to uncover the WHY this Senator's was murder, and the overarching impact of what of he (Travolta) discovering the cover-up means on a grand scale. INSTEAD... it devolved into a simple, and silly chase to attempt to stop John Lithgow from murdering a series of hookers. It totally jumped the shark.

The first half of the film was VERY GOOD, but I won't give it too low a grade, but there's just too much I didn't like in it... I don't have any real desire to watch it again. I'll give it a 6, and that's generous. Really I felt it was closer to a 5.5.

6/10
The film was actually inspired by Antonioni's 1966 film, Blowup, starring David Hemmings. That was quite a gamble, because Blowup was a masterpiece, and probably Antonioni's best film-- certainly his best English language production. I loved Blowup. It's a film that the viewer is not likely to forget, mostly due to the superb ethereal, haunting mood that it created. It's a seminal film.

Blow Out is a very entertaining film, and its technical features are enjoyable; but IMO it could never be compared to the quality and impact of 1981's Blowup.

~Doc

Spider-man: Homecoming

First time I felt the Disneyness in a Marvel movie, and it felt empty. Also, while I haven't seen the previous 2 spider-man movies, the humanity now feels like a throwaway character.

I wanted to stop watching it during the boat scene, but I'm glad I stuck with it because I feel that this movie taught me something inexplicable. It also showed me that these movies are perhaps more cynical than I am about rating this movie.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow what took me so damn long. The kingsmen.
"that was flocking spectacular" LMAO!

Great unbridled fun. Awesome young actor.

Rewatched two films last night - Mean Streets cause I wanted to, and Inside Man cause it was on tv and I enjoy watching it.

Mean Streets - Will always be one of the best Scorsese films. DeNiro's first of many great career performances, and perhaps his most underrated. Harvey Kietel also flawless, but DeNiro really shines above everyone, and obviously, the next year would go out to become a star after GF II. Mean Streets remains a classic. 9/10

Inside Man - Always felt this film is underrated. Spike Lee proved he can make a solid bank heist movie. Good performances from all involved here, solid direction from Spike, good dialogue, and great chemistry between Denzel and Clive Owen. It's not a film without flaws, but it's a quality movie. 7.5/10

Unregistered User

Bobby Sands: 66 Days (2016)

This is an emotional but sombre documentary about Bobby Sands' death during a hunger strike. Due to the contentiousness of the subject the does seem to be quite a lot missing, from both sides accounts, but it would be impossible to include everything into a feature length film and without bias too. Still, its well executed and most viewers should find it interesting. Bobby Sands is still thought of as a Martyr over here in some parts and there are many murals here in Belfast depicting him.

+