Things You Do NOT Wanna See In A Movie?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
not even smoking? XD
I dont mind a bit but when a scene in an enclosed room is laden with smoke I actually start to feel a bit green, but that was really just a nit pick. I dont judge people for choosing to smoke, by the way. I just have a physical reaction when I see constant puffing on the screen.

I dont mind a bit but when a scene in an enclosed room is laden with smoke I actually start to feel a bit green, but that was really just a nit pick. I dont judge people for choosing to smoke, by the way. I just have a physical reaction when I see constant puffing on the screen.
i feel you, i hate smoke too, worst part is that my parents always forced me to swallow their tobacco smoke

i feel you, i hate smoke too, worst part is that my parents always forced me to swallow their tobacco smoke
So funny. I was just thinking about why it affects me. When I was about 12 years old I went to spend the weekend in the mountains with the older kids of my step mother's bestie. We stayed with their eccentric old aunt in this tiny little cabin in this spookey little valley. I thought it was going to be a weekend of fresh air, riding horses and patting donkeys. Just turned into nights of sitting in the cabin with everyone else playing cards and chain smoking while I turned green and my eyes blazed red. I think seeing a smoke filled room on screen just takes me back to that trauma.

So funny. I was just thinking about why it affects me. When I was about 12 years old I went to spend the weekend in the mountains with the older kids of my step mother's bestie. We stayed with their eccentric old aunt in this tiny little cabin in this spookey little valley. I thought it was going to be a weekend of fresh air, riding horses and patting donkeys. Just turned into nights of sitting in the cabin with everyone else playing cards and chain smoking while I turned green and my eyes blazed red. I think seeing a smoke filled room on screen just takes me back to that trauma.
thanks for telling, that must have been a trauma then, i think traumas last lifetimes also probably? and they so difficul to erase, the cause-effect amazes me

thanks for telling, that must have been a trauma then, i think traumas last lifetimes also probably? and they so difficul to erase, the cause-effect amazes me
Me too. I find it really interesting. Smokers on the street I dont even notice. It's being in a room watching it on screen I do.

Voiceovers at the beginning that tell you what to expect (unless for irony). Let the viewers interpret the film for themselves!

Another car blowing up + another wave hitting a city.

Casey Affleck, Mel Gibson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Victor Salva, and every other actor and/or director that keeps getting work and getting a pass for being a disgusting person on the basis of talent.

^What did Cumberbatch do to get lumped in with those guys?
He gives to charity. Damn him!

A straight shot of a guy's grapefruits and kadonga, that s*it is nasty.

People sitting around doing nothing and just talking

Movies that make the beginning look almost like the ending, I find this very annoying

He made some very insensitive and ignorant comments about people with mental disabilities (particularly autism) on multiple occasions. The one I'm most familiar with is when asked about his role in 'The Imitation Game' and how many people believe that Turing was probably autistic (there's a fair amount of historical evidence to support this), Cumberbatch kind of dismissively said something to the effect of that being impossible because there's no way autistic people could be that smart.

In hindsight, while I still don't like the idea of a person who seems to be bigoted against people with mental disabilities being given a pass and given recognition like he is, it was probably unfair to paint him in the same light as the others on that list and I should have specified more clearly. Regardless, I still don't think we should be rewarding sh*tty people just because they happen to be good at a thing.

He made some very insensitive and ignorant comments about people with mental disabilities (particularly autism) on multiple occasions. The one I'm most familiar with is when asked about his role in 'The Imitation Game' and how many people believe that Turing was probably autistic (there's a fair amount of historical evidence to support this), Cumberbatch kind of dismissively said something to the effect of that being impossible because there's no way autistic people could be that smart.

In hindsight, while I still don't like the idea of a person who seems to be bigoted against people with mental disabilities being given a pass and given recognition like he is, it was probably unfair to paint him in the same light as the others on that list and I should have specified more clearly. Regardless, I still don't think we should be rewarding sh*tty people just because they happen to be good at a thing.
He's pretty stupid if he thinks people on the spectrum can't be intelligent.

I agree, arrest him and burn all the movies he's been in (sarcasm). Political Correctness is worse than any ignorant misstep by an actor.

Welcome to the human race...

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought when trying to think what you could have been referring to. It's a fair concern, especially since if you're an actor who's trying to tell the story of a historical figure who famously suffered injustice because of who he was as a person only to sound so condescending when talking about people like him who exist in the here and now. Also, remember when he played Khan? Yeesh.

What Miss Vicky said. The scene clearly establishes a coherent conflict in that Brad Pitt is interrogating the prisoners in order to find out about Nazi patrol locations while the main prisoner repeatedly refuses to betray his comrades, prompting Pitt to threaten him with baseball bat execution and ultimately have it carried out. It's in keeping with his character already being established as a determined Nazi-hunter while also showcasing a twisted sense of honour that further develops his character - he could get the information from one of the other prisoners (and he ultimately does), but he understands that the soldier has a sense of honour and is even willing to give the main soldier the chance to die for his country (albeit in an extremely nasty way). This is borne out by the last surviving prisoner immediately pointing out the locations, which prompts Pitt to leave him alive with a swastika scar on his forehead instead of just murdering him along with the others (and also needing someone to spread the story). Pitt's character makes sense and so do the acts of violence.
There is obviously a sense of physiological warfare going on as well that Pitt's character hints towards when he's first introduced. In this case killing the officer in such a brutal fashion is clearly aimed at making sure one of the remaining soliders is motivated to give out information quickly. We even see his playing on that motivation afterwards were by cutting the swastika onto his head allows him to return to ranks without revealing his betrayal thus carrying the fear of there actions.

Within the wide context of the film as well surely the intension is to show the Basterds in a less sympathetic light using such brutal methods? Just as it highlights Landa(who's much more villainous than the cartoonish version of Hitler) making a dodgy deal with Allied command to end the war and has Zoller and Shoshanna in a WW2 Romero and Juliette plot.

I had more of a problem with the ending of Django being such a simplistic "kill all the bad guys whilst looking cool" kind of affair, generally I expect more than that from Tarantino.

I agree, arrest him and burn all the movies he's been in (sarcasm). Political Correctness is worse than any ignorant misstep by an actor.
"Not wanting to see him in movies" and "arrest and burn all his work" are very drastically different things. My choice not to support his work is not me saying it should be illegal to be a bigot, and if that's really how you honestly interpreted what I said then frankly that says more about you than anything else.

"Not wanting to see him in movies" and "arrest and burn all his work" are very drastically different things. My choice not to support his work is not me saying it should be illegal to be a bigot,

and if that's really how you honestly interpreted what I said then frankly that says more about you than anything else.
Yes, my post does say more about me, and I'll be frank...I find it silly to hate an actor/director because they had a bone head moment or two in their lives.

Haven't you ever said something you regret? Don't we all? Shouldn't people like Mel Gibson who made a blunder when he was drunk and angry be forgiven after he apologized and said he was sorry?

That fact that you want to hold a grudge against these people after some have apologized says more about you than it does about the actor. Now why is that?

You've got red on you!
Me personally, I don't really care what an actor does outside of acting. A person can be a complete a**hole in real life but if they act well in a movie I love I'll keep seeing it. For some reason one of my biggest pet peeves in fact is hearing about the personal lives/views of actors, singers, authors and artists I like. I think to myself "shut up and sing!" or whatever else they do.

With that being said, I stay away from anything that shows animals dying. I will bawl my eyes out, even at those Disney movies where the parents die. which is very often!