Movies That Redefined Its Genre

Tools    

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
no, i think that F13 came b4 it
Wow, you're quite the horror movie expert. Psycho was released in 1960. The Night of the Living Dead was released in 1968. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released in 1974. Shivers was released in 1975. The Hills Have Eyes was released in 1977. Halloween was released in 1978. Friday the 13th was released in 1980.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Wow, you're quite the horror movie expert. Psycho was released in 1960. The Night of the Living Dead was released in 1968. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released in 1974. Shivers was released in 1975. The Hills Have Eyes was released in 1977. Halloween was released in 1978. Friday the 13th was released in 1980.
Ahem... OWNED.

Night of the Living Dead wasn't even a slasher film, niether was Psycho in my opinion. So I stand by what I said before. By the way, I'm not getting defensive, just. . .well you know.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I think Psycho is a slasher film. Knife + Psycho + Helpless Victim = Slasher Film.

i said i think, i didn't go into a 20 post debate and stand behind that, it was just a guess really, i just don't see the purpose of the sardonism

Originally Posted by Zzat
I think Psycho is a slasher film. Knife + Psycho + Helpless Victim = Slasher Film.
Slasher films to me are movies like Friday the 13th, Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street and things like that. Norman Bates didn't have the body count Freddy and Jason did. That's what I think of when I hear "slasher film."

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Does anyone else think that Tarentino invented a new genre.
How long before we see more "Western Kung Fu" in Hollywood.

The Hero looks pretty sweet.....old fasioned at best.

interesting, one man starting a new wave of movies

I'm a Big Fat Dynamo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd go for Resident Evil - first popular / successful game crossover

I think the matrix too - not so much to invent / redefine a new genre, but more about a new way thinking about existence, or at least it was when it was made as Ghost in the Shell and before the W bothers copied it

from whom did they copy it??

Originally Posted by Michael_Myers
From whom did they copy [The Matrix]??
He's saying the Warchowski Bros. were likely influenced by the Manga/Anime classic Ghost in the Shell (1995), which has similar psyedo-philosophical components, as well as a like-minded conspiracy and notion of the world as only a dream. It's not an exact copy, but there are definite similarities. Check it out for yourself and see if you agree.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
That's a great film.

He's saying the Warchowski Bros. were likely influenced by the Manga/Anime classic Ghost in the Shell (1995), which has similar psyedo-philosophical components, as well as a like-minded conspiracy and notion of the world as only a dream. It's not an exact copy, but there are definite similarities. Check it out for yourself and see if you agree.

i'll try and stop by a Suncoast and rent it

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
A.Ghost in the Shell is awesome.
B.Tarantino did not invent a new style of film, he just fused a whole bunch together.Such as Spaghetti western,Kung fu,heist. Nothing special, mind you Tarantino is good.

Quote:

i said i think, i didn't go into a 20 post debate and stand behind that, it was just a guess really, i just don't see the purpose of the sardonism

Such power, such wasted energy.

I'm a Big Fat Dynamo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holden - exactly !!

I'm not the hugest fan of Manga in the world, but Ghost in the Shell is absolute quality.

To say the W brothers copied it is of course false, but there are definate similarities as you point out and you can see where the idea came from

Originally Posted by mack
I am thinking that 28 Days Later probably really affected the "contagious disease" films, although....another groundbreaking one was Outbreak.
Wouldn't the affected contagious disease film have started with "Night of the Living Dead"? One chomp by one of these zombies and you would have become like them. Dead (by the virus or disease from the bite) and living (the virus carried into the unliving corpse and sustaining it). Or did they die from the natural cause of bleeding out? I'm having a little trouble remembering this in the movie.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD
Horror
Psycho (1960)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

War
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Platoon (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Crime
The Godfather (1972)
Scarface (1983)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Pulp Fiction (1994)

Comedy
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Airplane! (1980)
Clerks. (1994)
Great list. I agree with all of them. Only thing I could add is Dawn of the Dead the original started a new Era in horror movies, the splatter craze. That's about it.