14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Can someone PM any possible coordinates for M? Otherwise I may try to obtain an inexpensive dvd copy off of ebay. Thanks!
hey joel, I posted a link to an excellent, full version with subtitle options on youtube here

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I haven't read anyone's reviews or discussions on any of the movies (as I haven't watched any of these yet), but I did pick up both The Hurricane and Mommy today. They will be watched sometime this weekend, and I will say something about them early next week.

The Hurricane

some spoilers

Well now, I finally know what is Bob Dilan’s song about. I’ve never heard of Rubin Carter therefore the movie was not that engaging as to a viewer who is familiar with the story. I’m sure this is more like North America thing. However it does not mean it would loose anything from its cinematographic quality and emotional impact on a viewer. I like this movie and I actually cried of happiness at the Judge Sarokin’s final decision to release Hurricane. That was to me a very powerful scene. I’m just reading some hate reviews on IMDB and many state this was a fabrication of the truth. I cannot deny nor confirm but do I really care? Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Empress of Austria said, never judge the history before 200 years past. It will never be objective and always stained with emotions.

The movie was made a very engaging way of overlaying more stories only to make it whole at the end of the movie yet easily comprehensible right from the beginning. We see this unfortunate colored kid born into the accelerated segregation and the whole Civil Rights Movement happening at the background. He was tried with all that prejudice and biased prosecution only to end up in prison for something he did not commit. By mixture of Buddhist and stoic philosophy he manages to survive and never loses his hope for a justice. He writes a book about his life that is published. It is some sort of apology of his life and crimes he did or did not commit. The book after years gets to hands of a young and curious black boy Lesra. He is so fascinating by Rubin’s story that manages to light the fire in hearts of his tutors and educators in Toronto where he lives etc. See for yourself.

The only and very important problem with the movie, i was torn between sympathy and antipathy towards the Rubin character. As if, not even the filmmakers could not make out their minds on which way to go. I mean Denzel Washington’s performance was top notch and everything else however it seemed to me the movie wanted to satisfy all main stream opinions on the matter. I don’t think I will revisit the feature but i must say I’ve had nice 140 minutes watching this movie and don’t consider it a waste of time. This was a very decent nom!

Let the night air cool you off
I started watching Barton Fink, but I am not going to be able to finish it until later. My first impression is that it looks like David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, and Wes Anderson collaborated on a weird project.

Lone Star

I must say, it was a good watch and John Sayles did a good job to write and direct the story. And it is always pleasure to watch cast like Chris Cooper, Kris Kristofferson, Matthew McConaughey etc. However I don’t think it’s a master piece material as it didn’t age that well as it supposed to. Something was missing to make this movie more memorable.

I won't go to analyze to story. Just want to pinpoint that it was very interesting to see two typical counterparts. On one hand we have sheriff Sam Deeds who, in order to make a piece with himself, trying to reveal the truth about his father Buddy Deeds, former sheriff. On the other hand we have some people in town who know the truth but in order to make a piece with themselves, they don’t want to talk about it. We see this dynamic in dozens of movies. It is not only that people are afraid to reveal a crime and face the consequences. It is also because anyone who experienced something traumatizing, simply don’t want to talk about it. Only to think about it is hard and you trying to forget and go on with your life. And now, after forty years someone starts asking you about things. I would do the same. I would keep quiet not to stir my bad memories that are already well settled down in my conscience.

It was a decent movie that you like to spend time with however I’m not sure if I want to revisit. Nevertheless, thank you for introducing this movie. Good nom!

Barton Fink
(1991)
Direcor: Joel Coen

This was my third time watching the film and I have to say that I think it is a masterpiece. Sure, not everything is spelled out, but I didn't mind that. The ending is very poetic and worked on me on a few levels. I think Turturro is a brilliant actor with the right script, and this was the right script. He's funny and odd but he can also play a complex range of emotions like sadness, defeat, manic delusion. He's a firecracker of an actor.

The cinematography is incredible, using yellows and browns primarily with some peeling wall paper and distinguished doorways, which brings me to the sound design: very funny. Every time a hotel door opens or shuts, we get a whirring sound, as if the hallway is some sort of other worldly vaccuum.

John Goodman also does amazing work as the easy going next door neighbor with his own story to tell..if only Barton would listen!

Everyone in this film is amazing...the secretary, the alcoholic writer, the agent in particular is so funny I almost spit my drink out. The studio head has a jazz quartet speech rhythm. The Coen's took really good care casting apt players for their very classy comedy thriller. Surprisingly, the only cast member who didn't shine like the rest was Steve Buscemi, because his role was so limited, although there is one scene where he rubber necks for a good spell and I got a nice laugh out of that elongated moment.

Also, the writing in this movie is tremendous. Not so much just the dialog, which is crisp and tasty, but the actual screenplay..we get loud close ups of a typewriter after Fink ruminates for a long while, we think he is going to work, but alas, it's just a scene change starting with a hum drum office secretary where it's soon revealed, that Barton is waiting to report on his progress nervously in the corner.

This is truly great film making and may be one of, if not my very top nom, so far...

Black Snake Moan
(2007)
Director: Craig Brewer

I have seen this three times now, and as much as I'd like to say 3 times is a charm, if I'm being honest, this still doesn't sit completely snug with me. I understand that films tend to challenge the viewer, and with certain films, I am all about it. However, for Black Snake Moan, I just didn't find myself all that interested in the characters.

Samuel L. Jackson is a very gifted actor, and Ricci is very beautiful, vulnerable and intelligent, but for whatever reasons, I just didn't sympathize with her. I suppose I'd have to embrace my own past a bit more and remember back to when I used to be around troubled girls with misguided appetites and poor decision making skills, but it's not really a menu item these days for me, so, to watch this movie for a third time, it really was just like salt on a paper cut.

Jackson did get my sympathy, I shouldn't rule out a lack of understanding for every character in this film. I felt for the guy, and he really was doing what he thought was best, and in the end, good things happened, and I appreciate that.

Call this a case of just not being my cup of tea, I suppose. I thought the film making itself was fine, even above average. It was shot nicely, the music was refreshing and seemed authentic enough, I liked the fact that Jackson had his guitar fingerings believable for the most part.

I'll give this a healthy dose of kernel because it's not a bad film, it's actually a good film, it's just not my kind of film.

+

the great reviews keep a-coming!!
Nestorio, I LOVE the comment you made in The Hurricane "Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Empress of Austria said, never judge the history before 200 years past. It will never be objective and always stained with emotions." So, very poignant.

and I agree with ya Joel about Barton Fink. I finally got to see this about a month ago and intend on doing a rewatch before posting a review.
1) Because I fell asleep during most of Act 3 -- it was very late at night, not out of boredom or disinterest.
2) Coen movies get better with rewatches and, for me, that first time is so staggering you have to go back to properly align with everything with any given Coen flick.

Sorry to hear that Black Moan didn't quite work for ya and I do understand that point about knowing such people as Ricci played.
WARNING: "Even after multiple watches" spoilers below
I still have trouble with the beginning, and most times skip past. Though, of course, for a proper review,
I won't skip and watch it from start to finish.

Glad to see someone is watching Lone Star, I'm about a third to half way through myself. Hopefully I'll knock it out tonight at work.

I haven't read Joel's review of Barton Fink, but I did see the 5/5 rating, impressive. I'm glad that movie has some fans. I watched Barton Fink two nights ago and just haven't had time to review it, so I'll do that right now.

Barton Fink (Coen, 1991)

I loved this film. It fits me to a tee. If I was to rate it I'd give it a
+ maybe even higher. It's close to perfect, at least perfect for my taste.

But I don't know if I have the words to describe why it fits my taste? So I got a bunch of screen shots instead

I loved the look of the film, I loved the quietness of it and the empty spaces. I know that's a weird thing to say but I like quiet movies that are introspective...Barton Fink starts out in an empty hotel with vast spaces surrounding him. I believe the technique is called 'deep interior shots'.

It's the spacial difference between the subject, usually Barton, and his distance to the camera...and also the distance from Barton to the back of the shot.

Gosh this film looks beautiful and I just loved the staging of it. It's sublime. Some of the film's look comes from using a wide angle lens in combination with a very low or very high angle shot, to give maximum differential between the front an back of the scene. Like this with good use of receding lines :

And this:

Barton Fink is a masterpiece for the stunning cinematography which really lends itself to the isolation and dissolution that the struggling writer Barton Fink is dealing with. Pure visual genus, that puts us into the mindset of Barton.

And I dug the subject matter! Both a period piece film, which I love and it's about 1940's Hollywood to. Damn, it doesn't get any better than this for me!

I loved the characters in this film too, and the way they exist in a surreal and yet real enough world, that's complete onto itself.

The scenes with the studio head and the producer were pure gold. Just enough truth and reality to ring true and a touch of eclipticness to create memorable characters. Same for the brief but colorful scene with Chet the desk clerk, too rich! And this has to be my favorite John Goodman performance. Both actors had real chemistry together in this. The acting and writing through out the entire film is top notch...even the plot and sub plots were fresh and I held my attention.

I was intrigued with the painting on the wall in Barton's hotel room. Instantly I was drawn to it, and that's because the camera work made Barton look interested in it, and then so was I. As it turns out that painting plays a part in the story.

The entire film made me want to watch more so I could learn about this uniquely odd world, that Barton existed in.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a lead.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	34313   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	34314   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	34315   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobby (1).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	34316  

There is quite an atmospheric presence to Barton Fink and you did a helluva job describing and using photos to further that description @Citizen Rules.
It definitely pulls you in and the camera is on a very equal cooperation with the actors/characters, the story that unfolds, and the dialogue itself. All of which "vocalizes" in their separate essence coalescing to what we behold on the screen before us.

This just may be my next movie to watch -- if something else doesn't jump in front of it, that is.

For now. . .

Lone Star

I remember first seeing this at a local movie house that specialized in Independent Movies, and for what ever reason, have not had the opportunity to revisit it. And now, thankfully, I get to.

On it's outer shell, this is a mystery movie. A skeleton and a sheriff's badge is found in the desert. It's been there for some forty years.
Enters the current sheriff, who's father was the previous sheriff and the skeleton is the sheriff when his daddy was a deputy. The story goes: sheriff (found in the desert) ran off with $10,000 that belonged to the County. Soon after, the then, deputy became the new sheriff.
And, now it's the current sheriff's job to find out the truth. Did his daddy, a local legend, no longer alive, kill his boss?

That is the outer shell.

Within, there is a more emotional drama unfolding. Regarding the past. Not only the past regarding the murdered sheriff, but of everyone who was lived then, and their children, now adults, with children of their own. Looking back into the rift that separated each parent and child, along with the emotional and social rift through out this small town in Texas on the Mexican border.

There is no artistic use of the camera to directly assist in this story telling, except for a very capable transition from flashback to present day.
The story itself is told with the actors, who, mostly resolute and, at times, are resigned in wishing the past to simply stay the past. Not wanting to face old pain. But not quite willing to leave it be, either.
There is a lot of ground to cover, going through several folks and their parents, and for some watching this, it may seem like overkill or far too much information. It is not.

A good story and a solid cast and a very worthwhile film to watch.
Excellent call, @Joel on nominating this.

Lone Star

A good story and a solid cast and a very worthwhile film to watch.
Excellent call, @Joel on nominating this.
Awesome, bro! Glad you enjoyed like I did. I have been trying to gaslight distribution companies to get this onto blu ray, where it belongs, by using dummy FB accts...so I can troll them. Hate to do it but it's gotta be done. It's a fine film.

@edarsenal...

and before I bounce to another thing, let me say that I really dig your grasping of the picture. It took me a few viewings to fully understand and appreciate this movie. I consider it an accomplishment in film watching, and my major transition from young adult to adult, marking my maturation of taste to an extent. Thanks again!

@edarsenal...

and before I bounce to another thing, let me say that I really dig your grasping of the picture. It took me a few viewings to fully understand and appreciate this movie. I consider it an accomplishment in film watching, and my major transition from young adult to adult, marking my maturation of taste to an extent. Thanks again!
I remember the first time seeing it and most of my comprehension was more guesswork, being a young man in my late twenties. And now, early fifties, having experienced life, there seems to be a deeper clarity.
(of course, that clarity is for ***** with day to day stuff lol ask anyone who had to correct me on any given subject or typo)

I remember the first time seeing it and most of my comprehension was more guesswork, being a young man in my late twenties. And now, early fifties, having experienced life, there seems to be a deeper clarity.
(of course, that clarity is for ***** with day to day stuff lol ask anyone who had to correct me on any given subject or typo)
Yup lol, me too. I'm 41 now. When I saw it I was around 20ish..and needless to say, I wasn't interested in some bloated, slow and (seemingly) pretentious movie I had only gone to see because I happened to think Brother from Another Planet had street cred for being a video fringe title (also John Sayles as director). I like being older. :P