1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The Sea Wolf

I’m quite familiar with Jack London’s writing. I’ve read The Call of the Wild, The Sea-Wolf, White Fang, Martin Eden, The Iron Heel etc. I’ve seen some movie or TV movie adaptations. I don’t remember much of it in detail. I only know I truly enjoyed all of those.
Michael Curtiz is also well known to me and I’ve seen Casablanca, Mildred Pierce and some other movies he directed and can’t recall the names.
I found Jack London’s adaptation of Sea Wolf very well made and atmospheric. A writer and two fugitives are shipwrecked only to get saved by a nearby sealer called Ghost. They are saved however things go from bad to worst. Captain of Ghost is educated and cruel Wolf Larsen ruminating philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, especially Übermensch concept, Herbert Spencer, Darwin. He likes to read Poe and very often quotes from John Milton’s Paradise Lost. He likes famous „Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven“ the most. All this influence with a mixture of his rotten character made him a cruel man. The hell was his ship and he likes to have weak people around him who cannot challenge him. Obviously for the movie adaptation filmmakers decided to easy up on dialogues between captain and writer which was a great decision otherwise it wouldn’t be accessible to all of the audience. It is good enough to listen carefully to writer’s overview of captains character and to see his actions reigning his vessel, his hell. He’s so blinded that he is actually physically blind getting on and off to some kind of fits. Of course all that oppression and cruelty is answered by mutiny. The scene with captain ridiculing and demeaning Dr. Prescott was so cruel. Writer, girl and George try to escape but ... see the ending for yourself
The movie is well done and actors did a good job. Edward G. Robinson and Alexander Knox were both excellent and convinced me of their characters. And of course Ida Lupino, Gene Lockhart, Barry Fitzgerald etc. I cannot say nothing against the „Jaws“ scene. The camera was great stressing all that evil atmosphere. I found this movie excellent Jack London’s novel adaptation and a decent nom @edarsenal

The Sea Wolf (1941)

This was another interesting movie, but I think it might have been better without the romance between Ruth and George. I didn't think Ida Lupino and John Garfield had much chemistry together, so the romance part didn't work for me.
yes, that romance was just like a background music that you don't listen to. However I take it like a little humanization of captain Wolf's own "hell".

reading your reviews on The Sea Wolf I am happy to see all of you liked it. It is still not clear if this movie is a noir on the sea or an adventure. I think this movie is somewhere in between. There are both, characteristics of noir as well as adventure. You would find pessimism, fatalism, and menace in all Jack London's novels however adventurous they are.

Mr. Lucky

Plain and simple:
This movie is slick, dynamic, fun, romantic, pleasure to watch. Why? Because of the excellent cast. And here I need to repeat myself, I love to watch Cary Grant in any kind of movie. On the other hand I must say Mr. Lucky was not his best feature but it was still pleasure to watch. The movie is well-known “penniless character conceiving ingenious schemes to make money” routine. Subsequently falling in love with a high society girl only to rinse his conscience clean becoming a good man. There are so many movies like this. Just check most of Totò’s films, Fred Astaire’s etc. Not to mention each decade has this sort of movies and we never get tired of them. Why? Who wouldn’t like to be (at least for 2 hours) happy-go-lucky, handsome swindler, with no worries about tomorrow and who always gets the most beautiful girls that love him unconditionally?

I liked Mr. Lucky movie, and of course the cast, camera, acting. Story is fair enough. Not sure if I revisit the movie. However, All in all I think it was a decent nom @gbgoodies

That's a wrap I still have to put together my list and send it to Citizen. By the way, very nice picture Citizen. I guess you had to do quite of a search to find a merry Orson picture.

I could not find GBG's write-up on Mr. Lucky.

And so this Friday we gonna see the ranking. Can't wait. What time?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
glad to hear that a fan of Jack London enjoyed the movie version. I am curious, was there more to story line, in the book, regarding his brother chasing him? That seemed to get mentioned and then went no where.

Thanks! Nestorio for posting those last two reviews of yours.

Yes, I plan on doing the reveal of the rankings on this Friday which is in only 4 more days. I still need to get your voting list (which you said you're sending)

And I still need @edarsenal and @rauldc14 to finish up

Ed and Raul you still have 2 more films to watch, are you guys going to make the deadline?

Probably, though I'm kind of irked I have to purchase Mr. Lucky
I can understand that...is there no other way for you to find it? Maybe somebody has the file for Mr Lucky and can email it to you?

I can understand that...is there no other way for you to find it? Maybe somebody has the file for Mr Lucky and can email it to you?
I could probably do this. I don't have it anymore but i can get it again if he wants?

glad to hear that a fan of Jack London enjoyed the movie version. I am curious, was there more to story line, in the book, regarding his brother chasing him? That seemed to get mentioned and then went no where.
That was long ago when I read that however I remember they were more like opponents and Wolf was always jealous of his brother always destroying his ships and enslaving his crew. Then the brother destroyed his crew. They've been always chasing each other. Beside that one mention filmmakers completely omitted the character.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I could not find GBG's write-up on Mr. Lucky.

I did a quick search, and I couldn't find it either. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

As a quick write-up, since this movie is my nomination, obviously I like this movie a lot. It's not my favorite Cary Grant movie, but it's up near the top of the list. I think the movie has a nice blend of comedy and drama.

Cary Grant is always charming in his movies, but I like seeing him in this movie because it's a bit of a different role for him. He's a con man, not the good guy, but he's not really a bad guy either so he's still likable. I also think he has great chemistry with Laraine Day.

Unlike most of you, I love the ending of the movie.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Mr. Lucky"!!!!" spoilers below
I love happy endings, but I don't mind a dark ending once in a while if I think it fits the movie, but there's just something that doesn't feel right about a Cary Grant movie where he doesn't get the girl. I especially love the way the ending was done, where he was basically tricked into getting the girl, by someone else using his con man methods against him.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Probably, though I'm kind of irked I have to purchase Mr. Lucky

@Citizen Rules (Because you're the host, so it's your call if it's okay for him to skip a movie.)
@rauldc14

I'm sorry about that. I tried to make sure that the movie was easily accessible. Google shows that it's available (starting at $2.99) on YouTube, iTunes, Vudu, and Google Play.

If you're not able to watch it on any of those sites, and you don't want to buy the movie, I understand, and it's okay with me if you don't watch my nom. If it's okay with everyone else, just leave it off your list. I don't want you to have to buy the movie just because I nominated a movie that's hard to find. It's not a big deal to me. Hopefully you'll be able to watch it some time in the future.

These Hall of Fames should be fun, and it's not fun if you have to spend money on a movie that you don't really want to buy. I'm sure there are other movies that you would rather spend your money on.

@Citizen Rules (Because you're the host, so it's your call if it's okay for him to skip a movie.)
If no one can help raul find the movie, I'll back @gbgoodies admirable call and say he can skip Mr. Lucky
I already PMed Raul earlier today and told him he could skip Mr Lucky, and I would average the scores so his voting ballot didn't effect the overall placement of Mr Lucky.

He's still wanting to watch it, so I hope he can find it. Maybe Camo or someone can email him the movie.

I already PMed Raul earlier today and told him he could skip Mr Lucky, and I would average the scores so his voting ballot didn't effect the overall placement of Mr Lucky.

He's still wanting to watch it, so I hope he can find it. Maybe Camo or someone can email him the movie.
just sent him a link that leads to the movie