Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

I'm not sure underrated would apply but maybe under exposed for "Box of Moonlight" starring John Turturro and Sam Rockwell, which is a really cool little indie comedy from back in the mid 90s.

Kind of a buddy film. Crime it hasn't gotten a wider release on home media, at least. Would love a blu ray presentation. It deserves it.

Director: Tom Dicillo

The most loathsome of all goblins
I'm not sure underrated would apply but maybe under exposed for "Box of Moonlight" starring John Turturro and Sam Rockwell, which is a really cool little indie comedy from back in the mid 90s
Here's another underrated 90's movie starring John Turturro:

I must have watched it a thousand times growing up

Here's another underrated 90's movie starring John Turturro:

I must have watched it a thousand times growing up
Hmm, is there a scene in this where they arrest Turturro and he is in a police station making all sorts of noises and one of the cops reaction shots has the cop's face twitching like he cannot register the weird noises?

I remember a scene like that but cannot for the life of me remember the film. It was so quick and funny. Just a quick reaction shot of someone in the precinct having a face twitch as a reaction.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Hmm, is there a scene in this where they arrest Turturro and he is in a police station making all sorts of noises and one of the cops reaction shots has the cop's face twitching like he cannot register the weird noises?

I remember a scene like that but cannot for the life of me remember the film. It was so quick and funny. Just a quick reaction shot of someone in the precinct having a face twitch as a reaction.
There is a scene where they get arrested, but I don't remember anything about face twitching.

Here's a highlight reel that might jog your memory:

Underrated. Three of the best horror of the decade so far

This is the same exact topic as my thread "Heard of these", but I will list them again, coz I sincerely believe these movies are way underrated, if not in terms of numerical rating then in terms of being generally "popular".

House of Sand and Fog
The Grey
Numb
The Automatic Hate
The Edge

kubo and the two strings. Zootopia was a very good movie, but kubo deserved best animated picture, as well as best visual effects over jungle book at the academy awards.

Most Underrated Film of 2016 has to be 'I Am Not A Serial Killer.'

Not a perfect film, but certainly a good one, and a solid directorial debut.

Yup So many people diss that film that it really doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's a favorite of mine. And I'm writing a review right now for a movie that sort of reminds me of Titanic.

The monster movies I made as a kid. It's like no one has even seen them! What the hell!

Yup So many people diss that film that it really doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's a favorite of mine. And I'm writing a review right now for a movie that sort of reminds me of Titanic.
But it gets dissed because it was so overrated.
Are you saying it's underrated because it's overrated?

But it gets dissed because it was so overrated.
Are you saying it's underrated because it's overrated?
That's funny

But around here, at MoFo, almost no one likes it, so I say it's underrated.

The Forest (2016) - not an amazing movie, but 4.1 on IMDB seems a bit harsh
Heaven Knows What (2015) - good critic reception, but low public ratings
Under the Skin (2014)
Manic (2001)
Clean, Shaven (1993)

arlington road

guy ritchie's newest king arthur. 175m budget not including marketing and it shows. It might not be to everyone's palate (ritchie never is), but it's great none-the-less. Too bad it was such a flop, i wouldn't mind seeing 6 movies in the series. It's edited very quickly, could have used another 30+ minutes runtime. Very suiting and great soundtrack. Some of the visuals were very good and just rushed through too quickly imo.

highlights for me
WARNING: "" spoilers below
opening scene. growing up montage. lady of the lake. octopus demon. jude law. magic without the need to explain everything. king arthur's first escape.

Like sofia coppola's marie antoinette, many will not like the modernization but I loved both.

Excalibur, imo one of the best of all time, is my preference; but guy's is very interesting take.

Some underrated movies:

Body Heat - Hands down one of the best noir films ever made, and one of the best movies of the 80s overall.

Devil in a Blue Dress - Great crime mystery. Rarely ever mentioned. Such a shame.

Miller's Crossing: Arguably the best Coen bros work, and one of the best crime movies of the 90s. Superb film.

Jackie Brown: My favorite Tarantino movie. Doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves as a classic.

Thief: An absolute gem by Michael Mann... and mostly forgotten today. Mann's second best film behind Heat, in my mind.

Minority Report: One of the better sci-fi films of the last 20 years. I never get tired of watching it.

Clockers: A very, very underrated Spike Lee crime drama.

The Grey: This movie doesn't get the credit it deserves because people thought it would be basically "Taken... only in the woods." But it's not an action movie... it's a very intense, thoughtful drama with a lot of themes and well developed characters.

Earthquake

The Truman Show

Addams Family Values

Apocalypto

The Devils Backbone (Espinoza del Diablo)

The Host

Q The Winged Serpent

Trainspotting

Prometheus

Some underrated movies:

Body Heat - Hands down one of the best noir films ever made, and one of the best movies of the 80s overall.

Devil in a Blue Dress - Great crime mystery. Rarely ever mentioned. Such a shame.

Miller's Crossing: Arguably the best Coen bros work, and one of the best crime movies of the 90s. Superb film.

Jackie Brown: My favorite Tarantino movie. Doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves as a classic.

Thief: An absolute gem by Michael Mann... and mostly forgotten today. Mann's second best film behind Heat, in my mind.

Minority Report: One of the better sci-fi films of the last 20 years. I never get tired of watching it.

Clockers: A very, very underrated Spike Lee crime drama.

The Grey: This movie doesn't get the credit it deserves because people thought it would be basically "Taken... only in the woods." But it's not an action movie... it's a very intense, thoughtful drama with a lot of themes and well developed characters.
miller's crossing, totally agree. Also probably the best twist ending of all time; but it flew over a lot of people's/societies heads including critics.

Minority report, deserves/deserved more acclaim. Very well crafted movie, meticulously written and planned out.

i'll have to watch some of the others on your list.