Newer Movies Made By Old Directors?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It was very, very interesting to see Ken Loach come out of retirement to make "I, Daniel Blake" because he started in the 60s, and it's nice to see a great director's take on this decade.

I think Mike Leigh made his worst movie (Mr. Turner) in 2014, but "Another Year" was very good (2010).

I'm thinking of watching "Tree of Life" -- seems to be a very divisive movie. Seems like everywhere people either really, really love it, or hate it.

Ridley Scott made The Martian in 2015. I thought it was pretty good but I haven't seen any of his other work so I don't know how it holds up against Alien and Blade Runner and the like

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Ridley Scott made The Martian in 2015. I thought it was pretty good but I haven't seen any of his other work so I don't know how it holds up against Alien and Blade Runner and the like
He's a guy I know hardly anything about.. In a film course in college, we were watching "Blade Runner" and oddly enough, I woke up at the very end. Just like I did in "Fight Club"

He's a guy I know hardly anything about.. In a film course in college, we were watching "Blade Runner" and oddly enough, I woke up at the very end.

Just like I did in "Fight Club"

This might just do nobody any good.
It's been said before but how awesome is it that at 70, Scorsese I still making stuff as unrestraint like The Wolf of Wall Street and embarking on monstrous productions for the likes of Silence (which is his best movie of the 21st century, a feat worth its own admiration).

I wish Woody Allen would stop making movies. Sure, he gets a splendid cast (who is going to turn him down FGS), but I find his movies to be a horrible bore now. I don't even put them in my Netflix Q any longer.

It was very, very interesting to see Ken Loach come out of retirement to make "I, Daniel Blake" because he started in the 60s, and it's nice to see a great director's take on this decade.

I think Mike Leigh made his worst movie (Mr. Turner) in 2014, but "Another Year" was very good (2010).

I'm thinking of watching "Tree of Life" -- seems to be a very divisive movie. Seems like everywhere people either really, really love it, or hate it.
The one that surprised me was Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans because I vaguely knew it was Werner Herzog but it was weird to see how it looked compared to the older films of his I already knew.

What is wrong with Mr. Turner? I've not seen it but i've heard alot of praise for it and have been planning on it soon.
There's a lot of nothing going on, small-talk, redundant.

What movies of his have you seen? You should still see it, I just think you'd like all the others more.

There's a lot of nothing going on, small-talk, redundant.

What movies of his have you seen? You should still see it, I just think you'd like all the others more.
Only Naked, it's one of my favourite films though. Haven't gotten around to any others yet unfortunately.

Only Naked, it's one of my favourite films though. Haven't gotten around to any others yet unfortunately.
Brilliant movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What makes you think Ken Loach ever really retired? Just because he said so? He took a short two-year break. He's made 10 movies in the last 10 years, and he's now 80.

Mad Max: Fury Road, the ultimate badass movie of the century has been made by a raging grandpa George Miller (72)

I didn't see it, but William Friedkin made a movie "Joe" a few years ago... I hope it's not a re-make of the 1970 version...

Oops "Killer Joe" is the movie Friedkin made.

Steven Spielberg directed The BFG last year and has a new film coming out this year, as well as the Indiana Jones sequel in 2018

This might just do nobody any good.
Spielberg has for long been practitioner of the "one for them, one for me" style of directing and his recent, serious output proves to me that he's still got it.

Lincoln is probably one of his best ever and Bridge of Spies is so quintessentially Spielberg & Hanks™ that I can't think of it as anything other than an underrated classic.

Now he's tackling the timely subject of The Pentagon Papers with Hanks and Meryl Streep and will hopefully get around to directing The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara after that.

Mad Max: Fury Road, the ultimate badass movie of the century has been made by a raging grandpa George Miller (72)
For reals. When i watched, i thought for certain it was some young and hungry up and coming, with fury road being his tribute to miller and their mark on the world similar to star trek 1 and abrams. Was surprised it was just miller again. Tons of energy and passion went in to fury road.