The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love Dark City, if only for the mood it manages to create. I felt a bit let down and underwhelmed by the third act, though. To me it felt a bit like most Stephen King books : cool premise, great characters, engaging mood and storytelling ... which all fails by the end when trying to wrap all things up.

So yeah, I didn't vote for it.

I wanted to get around Dark City but never did. I've wanted to watch it for a very long time now.

Return of the Jedi was okay entertainment, but not near what just came before it.

Haven't watched Dark City, and yes if you say Roger Ebert doing a commentary for it then I should watch it.

Return of the Jedi is my least favorite in the original trilogy, but it still has a heart, and some fun. Still much better than any of those prequels.

About what annoyed @Camo while I understand why you're annoyed, I still don't agree that it's a bad thing in this site. The +rep result is just an illustration of the society itself: shallow and easy-to-comprehend opinions always get more public than deep thoughts. Cat videos are more popular than science videos. No way this site is better off without it, it's like saying videos is better off view-counts. It's sad that a long, profound, thought-provoking review receives only 2 +reps, but it's better than none. Deactivate the +rep will NOT inscrease the reply rate, or it'll only increase short replies. When people don't reply in long posts, it's because they don't have time/mood/capacity to, period. No need to force their hands. You can blame the people, but please don't blame the system that gives them a chance to give an opinion, how shallow that opinion may be.

The +rep result is an illustration of the society itself: shallow and easy-to-comprehend opinions always get more public than deep thoughts.
Very true.

@Camo's intentions are very noble and I relate to them strongly. Some of the members of my generation will probably remember fights I've had with other MoFos, where I was asking for them to explain themselves better and in more meaningful terms. I was genuinely frustrated by the often extremely superficial ways in which people were criticizing some of the greatest films ever made and I thought that deepening the conversation would make them see the light. That was almost never the case, though.

I've mostly given up being frustrated by the shallowness of people and society in general now. You just start coming across as an elitist prick to most people.
Just focus on those people that you do find interesting and encourage them. That's the best way to handle your frustrations. You'll be able to have the kind of discussions you're looking for with them.

----------------------------------------

None of the three ultimate sci-fi films (also my top 3) that I talked about earlier in this thread (or in the other thread) have appeared yet, which is to be expected. One of them has a chance of being #1. I'm curious to see where they'll place.

I see we're still talking about reps vs post content.

I love to rep people! But I don't just do it for no reason. I see it as a friendly nicety....or as a, 'hey I'm disagreeing with you, but it's cool'....

I think reps help to ease tensions and get meanings across easier.

I can tell that many people take a disarrangement on a movie, deeply personally, and that's too bad but it happens. So at least repping the person that you are disagreeing with says, 'hey I still like you, but I really hate that movie'

It was much better when there was negative rep too.
@Yoda #bringbackthehate
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

It was much better when there was negative rep too.
@Yoda #bringbackthehate
Could be better. It'll let you know who doesn't really like you. It'll make you hate more and maybe attack people more. Could lead to some violence. I bet you'd like to see that.

What if Yoda monetized reps. I bet you'd all love them then.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 5th, 6th, 8th, 13th(x3), 15th, 17th

They Live

Also wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 25th(x2)

I've seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)...and it's a neat film, but misunderstood. It was originally written and shot as a sci-fi horror/dark comedy...but the studio heads got nervous about combing comedy with serious horror, so all the dark comedy scenes were cut. This gives the film a unique weirdness all of it's own.

Both the original and the remake are excellent movies, but both are very different in feel. Even if you don't love sci fi, both are well worth watching.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

This is the original 1956 version. It was good, entertainment! but not on the same level of the 1978 version. The 1956 version originally had lots of dry humor in it, but the studio executives would not allow humor in a horror film, so they ordered all the humor scenes cut. That's probably why the film is so short at only 80 minutes.

According to some who worked on the film, the story line came out of the fear of McCarthyism. No doubt the film and those associated with it faced black listing had they been too overt in their commentary. One can only wonder what the film would have been like with it's dry humor scenes left intact.

With some scenes deleted, the film seems a bit odd at times. One almost gets the sense that the film wants to be like a Dr. Strangelove, and perhaps it was at one time. What we do get is stuff like: a scene where they first discover a half formed duplicate. It's laying covered up on the pool table in a home. When the doctor get's there he looks at it, the women are scared....then, they all retire to the living room for martinis! We can actually see the body laying on the table as they calmly have drinks!

Leading actor, Kevin McCarthy said it best about how the characters in the movie reacted, "lacking the curves and nuances that you often hear in the conversation of ordinary, mature men and women."

I did find this enjoyable, but don't look for it to be anything other than a cool 1950s Sci Fi flick. Kevin McCarthy, who would latter reprise his role in the 1978 version...was good, very good. As was Dana Wynter, his leading lady. Surprisingly Carolyn Jones (Adams Family TV series) had almost no lines in this movie. I can only guess her dry humor went to the cutting floor.

The pod effects were nicely done and so was the score. A fun film.

They Live

(1988, John Carpenter)

119 Points, 10 Lists
Hopefully gonna see this movie at the theater in April!

I had They Live as my #25, and it's the first from my list to show up since hitting on 5 in a row way back. I was 17 when I saw it at the movies and I think that was a great time to see it. I was already past my wrestling watching days, yet I sure knew who Rowdy Riddy Piper was, and he was a guy who was a lot of fun to watch. I got the movie on VHS and it was a solid favorite for many years. I now haven't seen it since the 90's; maybe it wouldn't hold up well, or maybe I would love it just as much.

I prefer the remake but Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a damn good flick from one of my favorite directors.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#25 They Live (45th)

The +Rep machine broke a few weeks ago when the MoFo with the highest active Reps-per-post average got BANNED!