The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Seen neither, but anything with Kyle MacLachlin is at least entertaining. Will probably see it if I can track it down.

Seen 11/20

My list:

7. Wreck-it Ralph
---
20. Silent Running

I am no fan of Donnie Darko, but that the vortex or wormhole or whatever the phenomenon is is not explained by a time machine or space aliens doesn't make it any less of a science fiction device. It is categorized as Sci-Fi on the IMDb, Wikipedia, and elsewhere.

Thanks Holden.

Just for discussion I have to bring up the idea again of what qualifies as science fiction.
See, I didn't remember any SF elements in Donnie Darko, just that it used the same retro-time-continuity / plot device as was used in The Last Temptation of Christ - and no one would classify that at a SF or time travel movie. (Coincidentally, a movie marquee is seen in Donnie Darko advertising The Last Temptation of Christ!)

Other time travel stories such as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or About Time involve time travel, yet there is no device or theoretical explanation as to how time travel occurs. Thus these stories aren't considered science fiction because there is no element of science behind them - they could just as easily be explained by magic or the supernatural will of God.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more good movies that I didn't vote for.

My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
13. Altered States (#95)

Seen: 20/20
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 7/20

The second film from my list has made the countdown!

15. Dune (#99)
24. Strange Days (#81)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not seen either. I wanted to watch Strange Days as i knew Cricket is a big fan but with Hall of Fames and 2016 films i never found the time.
Strange Days MAY be something you may wish to put on a back burner and, in time, consider checking out.
I would definitely love to read your review should you ever do.

Have not seen Strange Days but need to. The Hidden is a favorite movie of mine, but I didn't put it on the list for some strange reason. I'm glad to see love for it here.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Donnie Darko was my #21. It had a cult following for awhile, then people decided to throw hate upon it. Kelly hasn't made a good film since then and could possibly be a one hit wonder, but Donnie Darko has enough weird, sci/fi elements in it to warrant a spot on this list.

"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

Suspect's Reviews

Just for discussion I have to bring up the idea again of what qualifies as science fiction. See, I didn't remember any SF elements in Donnie Darko, just that it used the same retro-time-continuity / plot device as was used in The Last Temptation of Christ - and no one would classify that at a SF or time travel movie. (Coincidentally, a movie marquee is seen in Donnie Darko advertising The Last Temptation of Christ!)

Other time travel stories such as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or About Time involve time travel, yet there is no device or theoretical explanation as to how time travel occurs. Thus these stories aren't considered science fiction because there is no element of science behind them - they could just as easily be explained by magic or the supernatural will of God.
You've got a hold of several different narrative devices, there. Donnie Darko is more of a Möbius strip story, that folds into itself. What makes it science fiction is not the time travel alone, but that it is the effect of a vortex.

The Last Temptation of Christ as well as Brazil and Jacob's Ladder employ a literary device like the Ambrose Bierce short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", which is not science fiction and is also not a Möbius strip. These stories have characters envision an imaginary alternate fate for themselves in the instant before death. That is not what happens in Donnie Darko. In Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court the time travel happens after a blow to the head, so it is most easily interpreted as an unconscious dream in that satire, which is also not what happens in Donnie Darko. In About Time the ability to time travel is inherited at birth, which would make it fantasy and not science fiction and, again, is not the narrative in Donnie Darko.

That you personally don't consider Donnie Darko science fiction is A-OK. The people who voted for it did, and just about every source where you can look it up classifies it as sci-fi. But whatevs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Strange Days a while back for a movie tournament here. I don't remember much about it anymore, but as I recall, the story was interesting, but it's a bit too violent for my taste.

I haven't seen The Hidden.

Seen: 15-1/2 out of 20
My list: 3 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

I guess my point was time travel alone does not make a story science fiction. Without a science-based explanation time travel only makes for fantasy. Rip Van Winkle is also a time travel story of sorts (where a man wakes up in the future), but like some of the others mentioned, is a fantasy story as opposed to sci-fi. Usually, what makes time travel science fiction is either a mechanical device (whether it be a bizarre looking chair, a tricked out car, a space ship, or a space-warping telephone booth) or a theoretical explanation (going faster-than light, going into outer space then coming back, going through a wormhole, black hole or some sort of alien-design portal, etc.)

You've mentioned a vortex that causes some sort of time distortion effect in Donnie Darko. Unfortunately, I just don't remember that part (time for a re-watch).

If I remember correctly the vortex was stated as a possible cause for Donnie Darko's adventures, but the movie left that ambiguous so that we could determine for ourselves. It's been awhile but I seem to remember he pays a visit to a wise-eccentric mentor who mentions the vortex.

I guess my point was time travel alone does not make a story science fiction. Without a science-based explanation time travel only makes for fantasy. Rip Van Winkle is also a time travel story of sorts (where a man wakes up in the future), but like some of the others mentioned, is a fantasy story as opposed to sci-fi. Usually, what makes time travel science fiction is either a mechanical device (whether it be a bizarre looking chair, a tricked out car, a space ship, or a space-warping telephone booth) or a theoretical explanation (going faster-than light, going into outer space then coming back, going through a wormhole, black hole or some sort of alien-design portal, etc.)

You've mentioned a vortex that causes some sort of time distortion effect in Donnie Darko. Unfortunately, I just don't remember that part (time for a re-watch).
The engine falls through it.

Where's the fuss on The Incredibles or 28 Days Later? Donnie Darko is more in-line with Science Fiction than those films.

Donnie escapes his own death due to an anomaly with time. He sees how his surviving of the falling engine effectively ruins the lives of everyone around him. He sees things differently now (Frank) and determines that he must align himself with the universe (fulfill his own destiny). Time travel is just a small portion of it. Each person has their own destiny wormhole out of their chest for starters.

Great Sci/Fi sparks debate. Donnie Darko has to be one of the most debated films in history. Sci/Fi also sparks debate about humanity. Donnie Darko does this as well. What is it to be human? A teenager? Mental-illness? Why does Donnie wear that stupid man suit is an actual line.

28 DAYS… 6 HOURS… 42 MINUTES… 12 SECONDS…

Prediction:

A Boy and His Dog
and
The Matrix
Matrix will be much higher imho, just because it may have been an "obvious choice" for many.

I think the next ones will be
- Terminator
- Serenity

Matrix will be much higher imho, just because it may have been an "obvious choice" for many.

I think the next ones will be
- Terminator
- Serenity
Whoa.....you say The Matrix will be high on the list, but then list the Terminator as the next one?