The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Predictions for tomorrow :
- Moon (2009)
- Upstream Color (2013)

Has anyone else had Gary Jule's "Mad World" stuck in their head since seeing Donnie Darko on the countdown? It's been 15 minutes now and it's still mentally playing on repeat haha.
No...

but now that you mention it!

Over the years I've found I can dispel any song repeating in my head with a few "Drip, drip, drop little April showers" .... well any song except "Drip, drip, drop little April showers" itself that is

Over the years I've found I can dispel any song repeating in my head with a few "Drip, drip, drop little April showers" .... well any song except "Drip, drip, drop little April showers" itself that is
Actually I could see that working. If a song really gets stuck in auto brain loop, I just 'hear' another song in my head or even two, until the first one is gone.

2 great films, Seconds didn't make my list, but it could have. John Frankenheimer is a VERY underrated director, one of the best of the 60's if you ask me. Definitely the most consistent american director working in the 60's.

Donnie Darko is my #2, one of my favorite movie, one that I loved from the first time I saw it.

It does in my book!

Spoilers for Zardoz, Don't even think about clicking here if you're going to watch this movie  
If Zardoz makes it onto this list it will be hilarious!

The Gun is good, the penis is evil!

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Watched both Seconds and Silent Running for the first time for the countdown. Liked them both, but only Silent made my list at #20. Saw it on netflix and then went and got the blue-ray. Loved the lead character and thought the robots were like three less smart R2-D2s.

WARNING: "Seconds" spoilers below
While I did like Seconds, I don't think it's got much re-watch value. It's kinda like a Shayamalan movie; after you've seen it and know the twist, the film isn't interesting enough to keep you entertained. Except for the out of nowhere Baccanal. That you could watch over and over

As far as 28 days later and Donnie Darko are concered, I didn't like either one.

Seen 11/18

My list:

#7 Wreck-it Ralph
---
#20 Silent Running

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Donnie Darko marks the second film from my list. I was hoping it would be higher, but most people placed it pretty low on their lists. I had it at 12.

My List:
12: Donnie Darko (#83)
13: The Truman Show (#94)

This may come as a surprise, but Donnie Darko was NOT on my list. I don't really think of it as a sci-fi movie. I guess I can see why some do, but... not moi. I didn't even really like the movie when it first came out.

Has anyone else had Gary Jule's "Mad World" stuck in their head since seeing Donnie Darko on the countdown? It's been 15 minutes now and it's still mentally playing on repeat haha.
Yes, since I watched it a month ago.

Seconds is the first film from my top 25 that made the list. I had it as my #10!

Seconds is one of those great (and rare) examples of an inventive and interesting idea being exceptionally well executed on film.
I've always loved the typical 60s theme of a man wanting to escape his dull existence so he can become free again. Who never had the wish of completely reinventing themselves, of becoming a totally different person? It's one of the most liberating fantasies out there and it's only natural that it gained special attention in the idealistic era of the sixties, both in art and in real life.
This film is among the best and most interesting ones in exploring this concept. Original in its execution and consequential in actually finishing the fantasy.
A great film for all those neurotic dreamers out there who want to think about this ultimate fantasy for a while.

You should take part in these more often then, you rejected my plea for a Documentaries List . Next one is 40's i believe.
That's only because I don't have a wide frame of reference in those areas - I'm kind of limited in my viewing. For old movies I'm pretty much limited to what TCM will run since I don't rent movies or subscribe to Netflix (I can't afford extra expenses for entertainment).

But since sci-fi has always been a favorite genre I made a list. But there aren't a lot of recent sci-fi movies on it because I haven't seen many since I don't go the theater or rent movies (if they don't appear in my cable's free On Demand section or can't be found at the library, I don't see them).

I'm pretty sure I had Donnie Darko on my list (Drew's in it, after all) but I can't remember where on the list it was... If it was on it... Which I'm pretty sure it was.

List: 2 (Back to the Future III and Seconds)
Watched: 4 (Including Donnie Darko and War of the Worlds)

The Back to the Future finale film was good, though not on par with the first two. The best thing about it is Biff "Mad Dog" Tannen. I think he's the draw in every film however. They probably wouldn't even be interesting if it wasn't for Thomas F. Wilson's acting performances. Such a big, dumb, sociopathic bully...you just have to laugh.

I'll hold off from commenting on the other two, but let me say that Donnie Darko was an interesting first-watch, but then wanes with every subsequent viewing. Too many plot holes. Too weird. The acting is rather strange, and almost every character seems strange.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
*****. I've already lost out to one of these countdown threads at the Mofies in the Best Thread category. I'm determined that next year I shall gain my revenge. So I really don't like the fact that people are already enjoying it.

I think it's about time I start sabotaging this thread, drag it down into the gutter. I could do with some help though. How about it Sexy, you're always game for causing chaos and p!ssing people off!