Camo's Animated Show Reviews

Tools    

Operation: Rabbit

Even before i started re watching Looney Tunes cartoons as i got older this one always stuck with me even though i only saw it once as a kid i think. Not because it was a major favourite of mine but because it was the first time i'd ever seen Wile outside of a Road Runner cartoon. I know how stupid it sounds since they had the Merrie Melodies opening but at like 5,6 years old i didn't actually realize that Road Runner and Wile were part of Looney Tunes until i saw this cartoon and later Space Jam. Obviously i've seen others since but those were my first two so this cartoon always stuck with me.

Saying that it is not a favourite of mine, i think it is very good just not one of the best and i personally prefer Hare-Breadth Hurry for Bugs and Wile cartoons. Seeing Wile's design in this and also him talking is still a bit jarring even though this must be the tenth time i've seen this and he also speaks in plenty of other cartoons. I just love the joke of setting up a door outside a rabbit hole, it is just so absurd and it isn't really focused on as if it is something nuts which is the beauty of it. The shoot the rocket down the pipe fail is amazing, i just love how quickly it is done so you don't have a second to think about how it will go wrong. And of course the double fused dynamite. The ending is alright. Anyway not much else to say about this, solid cartoon but not one of my favourites.

Rabbit of Seville

This is one of my absolute favourite Looney Tunes cartoons, favourite doesn't always mean best for me but i truly think this is one of the best. Saying that, i completely agree with gbg i prefer What's Opera Doc? and i also think it is better. The only reason i didn't nominate What's Opera Doc? was because i expected someone else too, same with Duck Dodgers.
I went with the next best thing, another fantastic Looney Tunes venture into classical music.

Anyway i don't want to compare this to What's Opera Doc? throughout because it will sound like i'm being negative even though this is one of my favourites, but the main things that are missing is the emotional touch to WOD and IMO WOD has the best voice acting (singing) in any Looney Tunes cartoon particularly from Elmer Fudd.

Elmers face when he first realizes he's on stage is one of my favourites in Looney Tunes. While a bit lesser than the voice acting in the short i keep mentioning, it is still incredibly fantastic here. It doesn't have Elmer's continually changing character as much but it also has Bugs fast singing at the start that is one of the few things it eclipses WOD on. I love when Bugs is wearing the green dress thing, and he is snipping his scissors, i watched this short in slow motion once and that part was actually the part that made me fall in love with Looney Tunes Animation. Not that it is a particularly amazing scene but i think it is the best done in this short. The classic scene here is of course Bugs barber scene with the fruit and Elmer's ensuing chase having reverted to anti-bugs after lifting his spell haha. The best thing about this short may be Bugs face for me. In my Duck Amuck write up i praised them not forgetting about Daffy's facial expression and movement so this may seem pretty inconsistent (coz it is) but i adore how often Bugs has that bug eyed so pleased with himself look throughout the cartoon. Gives an air of smugness that no character captures better than Bugs IMO.

With Nope mentioning repetitive jokes i'd just like to give a shout out to the guy off screen comes in with a bigger weapon joke.

Sorry for mentioning What's Opera Doc? so often btw i just find it difficult not to compare them and i was also expecting it to be nominated.

That's another five, i'll leave the others til later because i don't want to spam haha. There's about another 15 i still have to post, i'm not going to post the Steven Universe, Monk & The Monkey or Story Corps ones simply because i know i won't watch more of them like i do the others in this thread.

Carrotblanca

This is actually the only one i hadn't already seen. I'm really not a fan of the animation from this era but this particular cartoon was better than the norm thankfully. Still the animation from this time was a bit too "perfect", it doesn't have the flawed charm of the 40s, 50s, cartoons and thus doesn't come out as expressive and interesting. Bugs was pretty good in this but i wasn't crazy about the others, particularly Tweety and her? his? awkward Peter Lorre impression. As i was saying about the animation not being as expressive i thought that was particularly evident in the transition of Tweeties face into Peter Lorre's, something that was one of the best things about the old Looney Tunes shorts, it was so seemless and had lots of character. And oh man Yosemite Sam's voice was horrible, really turned me off of his scenes. Daffy wasn't that bad but i didn't really like his jokes. Anyway no point in continuing to be negative, the best thing about the short was easily Bugs flashback IMO.

Decent nom Topsy but my bias towards the classic era and Mel Blanc who i think would have did a better job with the impressions. Sorry for being a bit hard on it Topsy, i at least really like your other nom and am looking forward to seeing it again.

Pappy's Puppy

Not got that much to say about this one, mostly because i don't think it is any sort of masterpiece. It is however a lot of fun and it's really sweet. The puppy is adorable. I absolutely adore when he's trying to make the puppy look all mean, the first time it tries to imitate him with that menacing stride is the cutest thing ever. It's persistence with Sylvester is pretty hilarious. You do have to feel a little sorry for Sylvester at first haha, who was minding his business when he got attacked and he only tried to stop this from happening rather than do actual harm to the puppy. Obviously that quickly changes. As i said to Topsy earlier i hadn't seen this one in years, the only part i remembered was the playing fetch in traffic part which brought back a sense of nostalgia. Anyway while not one of my favourites it is a lot of fun and i'm really glad it was nominated as unlike most of the classics nominated, i rarely revisit this one.

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

The reason i wanted to do this again is that i've been re-watching Bob Clampett's work for the first time in ages recently and i think he is my favourite Animation Director. He's usually quickly dismissed from the conversation because one of his most praised shorts: Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (which is fantastically made) is horribly racist but the problem with that is that all of the classic short directors dabbled in racist or otherwise offensive cartoons; i think personally they are best viewed as a time capsule of a horrible time but nevertheless expertly made. Clampett's other work is so consistent it is absurd, he didn't make as much as Avery, Jones, Freleng, Hanna/Barbera, etc, but i don't think any of them came up with such a high percentage of greatness either personally.

Honestly i find it difficult to put into words how much i adore the animation in this short, if i get the chance i'll put together a post later with screenshots of exactly what i'm talking about. Seriously watch the first thirty seconds with Daffy, his hiding behind the mailbox then later poking just his eyes round it, his talking to us and even the movement of the mailman and the letters is absurdly fluid. I'm not going to complain about modern animation here because plenty of it i love but there's somthing about you knowing this was made by human beings with their hands that makes everything especially the flaws and imperfections so amazing compared to the push a button and generate a perfect image nowadays. Personally this era of Looney Tunes is my favourite Animation of all time because it is not perfect in the slightest; you could point out loads of weird animation defects in this episode if you cared to look at it frame by frame (i have with this short before and quite a few others) nowadays pretty much everything has moved at least partially to CGI which is fine to an extent because it often looks beautiful but personally i'd take the look of The Great Piggy Bank Robbery over any film that uses CGI; some of those are better in content but to me you can't beat the actual Animation (movement) in these cartoons.

Anyway i went off on one there haha. Daffy here is amazing, i've always heard arguments over what is better the more wacky Daffy (like here) or the mean Daffy (basically all of his most famous shorts); for me it's Sophie's Choice because the animation was always much better with the wacky one but the mean one probably has my favourite moments. Here is the wacky one utilized perfectly in my opinion. It's an extremely erratic collection of gags and i think the way they are presented they can never get old; a more balanced short has periods without jokes that decreases the total number of jokes; which is fine What's Opera Doc for example have periods that aren't that funny but are great anyway because of the music, drama, etc. The ones that remain funny always are ones like this that are chock full of jokes to the point that you can't really remember what is coming up, i mean the part with Daffy with the magnifying glass is what 1 minute, 20 seconds? Yeah, i think that part has more jokes in it than some episodes of comedy shows it loves, and i personally find it really funny so my laughing always makes me miss the further part of that scene. I remember Daffy following the footsteps up the wall and ceiling was my favourite 'breaking possibilities' scene when i was a kid; again it's coz of the animation it's just how seamless him going up the wall is when it could've been an awkward transition where you see his body (or the wall) moving on its side. The part with the enemies is just some of the best slapstick ever and some of the best animation too. Daffy de-materializing to exit the door in particular is fantastic.

Sorry if this is rambling, i can guarantee none of my other write-ups will be this length; this one means alot to me and is the main reason i started this up again. I personally think it is one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.

Der Fuehrer's Face

Propaganda is a bad thing obviously, but i don't think the fact it is propoganda should play into anyones valuation of art. If it offends you, or is just not clever or funny then yeah it's not something for you but if you genuinely find it intuitive or funny (like i do) then i don't see why you should have to pretend otherwise.

The animation in this is unreal (unreal meaning great haha), probably because the images getting put onto the screen even at the time were objectionable and the people hiring out these studios during war-time wanted those scenes to remain with whoever watched them. They were aiming for the Looney Tunes/Disney/ Cartoons/ fans at the time with their propaganda; personally i don't see how it would've been effective in anyway, if any of you disagree bring this part up i think i'm baffled at the idea of it working on anyone but whatever.

The full thing is ridiculously well animated and fun as long as you aren't actually taking anything the episode is saying in. I think it is amazing when you consider that this is 'don't be a Nazi' morals; we can turn it into whatever we want now but the point in this cartoon was always supposed to be how horrible the Nazi's were so don't join them. And this was before the Holocaust was really known about. My favourite moment is probably Donald flipping upside down to "heil hitler" on the conveyor belt. The craziness at the end is probably unmatched in any animation ever, so great choice JJ.

Transylvania 6-5000

I hadn't seen this one in years. Last time i nominated The Scarlett Pumpernickel that starts with a similar dark beginning, i remember those two always coming up in the Halloween special nights. Neither are scary of course but i like how this one gets right to the jokes with Bugs hitting his head. I'm not the biggest fan of this later characterization of Bugs if i'm honest; the naive guy who wins anyways. Bugs should win i'm with that but i don't like him being as oblivious as he is here, he's best when he understands what is going on but he is leading the enemy to believe he doesn't. Here he is just invincible Bugs who survives everything. Whatever he's funny but when he's not aware of what is happening or is the main instigator of what is happening; i drop out a bit. Still a funny cartoon and an interesting look into Looney Tunes inserted into the horribly animated later Hanna Barbera World.

It's pretty funny but i hate the animation so much, sorry gbg.

Still planning on adding the rest of my Looney Tunes/Disney, etc ones for now i have two new Simpsons ones if anyone is interested. I think to anyone who actually pays attention to my nonsense i come across as really harsh on post-Season 10 Simpsons and really supportive of the first 10 Seasons. I am for the most part because one era is mostly great and one era is mostly garbage, but here i'm actually not crazy about the Season 7 one and i really love the Season 14 one. Will post them in a second.

Edit: They'll be a bit weird because i wrote a few comments about my memory of the episodes first before watching them.

Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming (Season 7, Episode 9)

Not sure where i'd normally have this in Season 7; probably in the bottom half. I've always thought of it as the weakest Sideshow Bob episode in Seasons 1-8, but better than anything after. This is one of the few episodes in the classic era that i don't remember alot about so we'll see how i like it this time.

Honestly this was a good refresher, i now remember that the reason i rarely remember this is because of it's structure and large amount of not very funny jokes. For a large period it keeps cutting from Bob furthering his plan then random air show related jokes; i find it pretty boring and the fact that some of the jokes don't really land for me makes it that bit worse. About the actual story: i do like that it is a change from the usual "Bob tries to kill Bart" plot but it isn't that interesting on its own. It seems like a pretty flimsly conflict, Bob hating television is a random area to go to and him obtaining a nuclear weapon is quite outlandish. A small thing i also don't like is how Bart and Lisa end up staying behind; Bart likes guns and actions and Lisa is the only one who notices he is going back. It is a bit lazy and if i'm honest i think i'd prefer Bart and Lisa stay out of the main story since Bart is not Bobs focus here, it feels like they wanted to do something different but they couldn't commit so they returned to the regular formula near the end. I'd have preferred some military character introduced here, not neccessarily the colonel i'm just saying they could have cut a few of those gags and created some character to face off with Bob or fleshed the colonel out a bit more. Random not important aside; is Sideshow Bobs voice higher on the videos? I just thought about that after this finished because i didn't pick up on it and i forgot to look for it, hope it was as even though it's a big leap that Lisa would figure that out it is still pretty clever. The Krusty part is kind of annoyingly absurd, the idea that he'd risk his and everyone elses death to stay on TV doesn't sit right with me. How Bob is found out is really rushed and pretty dumb/absurd, how would the police see that? Don't care though as i find it really funny how quick it is. The escape on that old timey plane again is pretty wacky but it's actually my favourite part of the episode because i think it has the funniest run of jokes including my personal favourite of the episode where Bart throws his bag towards his family car and it gets runover and blows up then Homer casually says "Ok, now you boy". The endings pretty random and abrupt but i like how it completes the trilogy of Marge faking enthusiasm. Certainly not a bad episode, just a tad dull and forgettable.

Season 7 is my third favourite Season. It goes: 4>6>7>5>2>3>8>9>1>10>Garbage. This isn't great though; think i'd have it as the second worst of Season 7 after Homerpalooza and the worst of the first six Sideshow Bob episodes although better than any after it.

Actually looking at Season 7 from memory (and i've seen these eps countless times) i'd probably rank it:

01.Bart Sells His Soul
02.Summer of 4 Ft. 2
03.Who Shot Mr Burns? Part Two
04.Home Sweet Home-Diddilydumdoodily
05.Bart on the Road
06.Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in the Curse of the Flying Hellfish
07.Homer The Smithers
08.Treehouse of Horror VI
09.Lisa The Iconoclast
10.Mother Simpson
11.Marge Be Not Proud
12.138th Episode Spectacular
13.Team Homer
14.22 Short Films About Springfield
15.A Fish Called Selma
16.King-Size Homer
17.Much Apu About Nothing
18.Bart The Fink
19.The Day The Violence Died
20.Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield
21.Radioactive Man
22.Two Bad Neighbours
23.Lisa The Vegetarian
24.Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming
25.Homerpalooza

Let the night air cool you off
I'm really impressed by how you can separate episodes of a tv show and rank and judge them against one another. I struggle so hard with that. I tend to enjoy them as a whole instead of individually.

Once again, an impressive write-up, Camo.

Moe Baby Blues (Season 14, Episode 22)

Last time i watched this i had it as the best of Season 14 and one of Jeans best solo episodes; lets see if that is still true.

This is not a hilarious episode but it is a very enjoyable one through some of the most genuine emotion seen since the classic era and a well pieced together plot. Saying that it does have laughs it has that early Jean era toned down humour that can be entertaining, mostly the laughs are inconsequential. The weakest part of the episode is probably the start with the plant; it isn't exactly bad it is actually quite entertaining yet not very funny. Still it sets up Moe's characterization very well, here he isn't his usual mean and agressive self as shown very well with the way he accepts being the one who has to leave without a fight. He's completely defeated, just doesn't have any energy to object or even pretend that he doesn't care. The whole setup for Moe saving Maggie is admittedly absurd with Maggie flying out the open sunroof and Moe being there at the exact right time and place with his arms out in a weird manner to catch her but i i forgive it because it's actually pretty funny; the visuals of Homer jumping over cars and falling about trying to save her as well as his "Your baby" line. His moment with Maggie here is really sweet and i think it has alot to do with Lauren MacMullans excellent direction; Maggie and Moes facial expressions especially with her looking adorable and Moe's frosty demeanor cracking thanks to a loving interaction with this child; great scene overall. I've been writing this as i watch and i actually forgot that this is a pretty funny episode, i'll leave my earlier part in but i am laughing more than i remember; at the Homer carpool and crazy Grampa parts here. Not saying it is hilarious but it actually is a seriously well rounded episode. His playing scenes with Maggie are a very nice watch and completely adorable; god that "Oh, i've still got her nose. Here you go ya little idiot" bit is so precious haha. Love the protectful angle they throw in too, another two funny scenes with him misunderstanding the woman trying to pick him up and the Nelson bumper car incident. There's something so sweet about the fact that Moe just treats her like a friend rather than a baby; not sugarcoating anything with his Godfather story obviously in real life that would be cause for concern but here in an exaggerated cartoon world it works as an effective bonding tool.

The conflict here is completely natural; it's exactly where you'd expect it to go not in a predictable way but rather that the story has been well structured so it feels exactly right that that's were it will progress too. Marge and Homer feeling jealous and irritated at how Moe is getting so involved with Maggie is very well handled because to me at least nobody feels like the bad guy, Moes acting the way he is not maliciously but out of a great fondness for the child; it is evident that he only wants the best for her but at the same time he is being overbearing and just too involved for a non relative that it starts to feel creepy so you can totally see Marge and Homers point of view as well. This is demonstrated well in the party scene, i do like the baby monitor part too it is maybe a bit over the top but i feel it was a good way to bring about the inevitable Moe not being allowed to see Maggie turn again without making anybody seem like the bad guy. Moe absolutely crossed the line and if this happened to me despite Moes good intentions i'd do the same and would probably even call the police but as i said Moes intentions were completely positive and to us the viewer it doesn't make us dislike him here even though i'm with Homer and Marge on Moe keeping his distance. It's also a pretty funny scene; Moe being completely oblivious to the fact that Marge and Homer are not going to be okay with this with his extremely casual "i got it" and "i heard her on my baby monitor", Homer and Marge sitting up completely horrified with the dramatic music and especially the creepy visual of Moe sitting in the dark before the light is turned on and he looks all snug and harmless in his little sweater haha; great direction again from Lauren. The video part may have been a step too far; joke-wise i mean none of this is okay action-wise. The Mafia part is pretty ridiculous but i feel most episodes post-classic or not focusing on Maggie in a big way usually end up a bit hard to swallow and i like how it was set up earlier in the episode with The Godfather plot, regardless of my feelings towards Maggie actually following them i think it does tie the plot together nicely. There's so many fantastic shots in this episode, i won't keep mentioning them but Marges horrified look when she notices Maggie is gone with the screen going red and Moe turning round in shock when the police barge in with some orange colouring are fantastic. The investigation part has some pretty good jokes; Homer being the one who rode the tricycle, the idea of Marge bringing the mobsters lemonade and Homers "I'll get our little passports". Some more really good jokes and one not really well realized one in the next scene that one first; the italian american defemation guy, i adore the voice actors delivery on that line but i don't like the line itself it's just a lame italian joke wish they came up with something better; Marges "Italian American Mexican standoff" line and especially Homers "we're not your caught on that tree" and him following up by pushing Moe in as if yeah you be the hero haha. Always loved the ending to this i don't think it is as sweet as some of the earlier scenes but i think they were close to overdoing the sweetness so that part being understated was a good thing and the picture montage becoming about Homer and the ham was hilarious.

Great episode. I don't always agree with peoples best of the later seasons picks but Moe Baby Blues is great a definite 10/10. It wouldn't get a 10/10 in the classic era mostly because the humour isn't quite there although it is alot funnier than i remembered and also because there are a few wonky story elements like the beginning with the flower, the absurdity of how Maggie is saved by Moe and the Mafia turn near the end. Still it's overall a well done story, all characters are likable, it has some of the best post-classic emotion and it looks excellent thanks to Lauren MacMullan.

I'm really impressed by how you can separate episodes of a tv show and rank and judge them against one another. I struggle so hard with that. I tend to enjoy them as a whole instead of individually.

Once again, an impressive write-up, Camo.
Thanks man

I can't with most for the record. The Simpsons Seasons 1-10 and South Park i've been watching since i was a kid; i bought the dvds as soon as they were released and i watched them alot so i have a distinct memory of all of those episodes. The only other show i could come close to doing that with is The Sopranos and even then i couldn't because i love all but one episode haha.