Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think I've gotten everybody's list with the exception of Topsy's. I've just plain assumed Meds and JAL are out at this point.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

WALL-E

I saw this last week on yet another rewatch but I hadn't gotten to post anything about it until now. The first thing that strikes me is the visuals and how ahead of its time the concept is. It's a futuristic film that shows us the danger of what could become. Wall E is a very likeable main character who seems like he is not the type that should be lonesome, as we see him at the beginning of the film. I think that is what makes his friendship and relationship with Eve so special. Above all is the score and the animation in this movie. The two of them are in sync more than any other film that I can remember, which makes this a truly special film. I love how the characters and the backgrounds are drawn and the songs make for very special moments in the film. This is a FM that should set the standard for future animation. I almost feel bad not rating it perfectly but a few minor pulls in the story are the only thing that prevents me from doing so.

TOKYO GODFATHER

I`ll start off with the animation-Im was a bit on and off with it.I love how the surroundings and everything looked,the only things i didnt like about it were their faces,which lol is a bit essential but i got used to it and ended up liking it aswell.But i really loved the surroudings and everything else (loved the poster at the trainstation).I watched this with subtitles and i really liked the voice acting,i could listen to japanese all day long.
I think my favourite part was the story of the red and blue devil-I loved the look of it.
This is the one of the first animation ive seen that isnt really aimed at children or is the disney type
and i wasnt sure if i would connect with that or not,but i really,really liked this one-so im happy this type got nominated aswell because i will definitely be checking out more of them.

WALTZ WITH BASHIR

again i have the start of with the animation..its so odd..like,one of those filters on your phone to get your pictures or videos to look like cartoons. I watched the trailer when the nominations were revealed and i didnt think i would like it-but i actually did.there were moments where it popped back into my head and i thought it was weird,but not really a bad weird,just weird.Also again..the storyline and all being about as far a way from Disney as you can get lol..well almost anyway.Like a documentary only in cartoon,and i really liked that. I love documentaries and this was a great subject.Also I have to mention the music-because i loooooved that.

sent in list. this was actually really,really difficult-more so than i expected-i like them for very different reasons and obviously some of them were in totally different genres which made it even more difficult. i changed the list several times before i sent it in and im still changing them in my head lol

Added the last three posts here to the review post, i assume that will be the last of them. Glad you liked Waltz With Bashir to some extent, Topsy, i'm not really sure how much from your review though haha.

Sorry about this but i just want to say, Jal90 responded to a profile comment i left him the other day (that i shared with Raul obviously) saying he'll send in a list. Okay, that's a good thing i suppose but i'm not gonna lie i've got super cynical and when people post nothing in these hall of fames now i really don't want to join them because i don't believe they are watching the films. sorry. That didn't even enter my mind until i hosted the 11th and everyone was telling me Guap isn't watching the films; whether he was or not is irrelevant now but i don't trust most members outside a select group in these which is crazy - i'm not trying to create a clique-y atmosphere but there's definitely a group of members that i'd trust over others. And it is affecting my enjoyment of these hall of fames.

I'm definitely taking these too seriously and please bring up the various times i've told people to stop whining because it is very relevant now in regards to this post, but i do think the only reason i keep joining these is a select few members.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I agree with Camo. Regardless, I am probably going to post the results Tuesday night.
Awww, that means I can't be there, seeing as 8 pm for you guys is like 2 am for me. That sucks

(no worries, I'll just have to read it after the fact)

Hi guys, sorry, I've been off the forum for a little while and completely forgot to comment here.

I've watched all of the nominated, but I would have preferred to rewatch a few of them, particularly Wall-E, Waltz with Bashir and Tokyo Godfathers. I didn't find the right moment to do so. A few random thoughts instead:

Castle of Cagliostro
- A lot of fun, quirky characters and a sort of romantic approach that I think is very close to what Miyazaki did later with Porco Rosso.

The last unicorn
- Covered here.

The secret of NIMH
- I remember the storytelling being a little bit disjointed here, which was definitely something that took some enjoyment, but to be fair this was so captivating on its premise and atmosphere alone that I didn't care, it simply was good enough to trascend that irregular execution. Miss Brisby is one of my favorite female characters in animation, and a refreshing one in the sense that she is a quite unique heroine, very empathic, relatable and flawed, who does not necessarily overcome her fears through the film but still manages to do something impressive in spite of this.

Night on the Galactic Railroad
- Basically, this film is a powerful introspective journey to me. One that talks about themes of friendship, loss and acceptance of death, loneliness and despair, etc., in a fittingly allegorical way with characters who manage to transmit a wide range of emotions despite -or maybe due to- how restrained their gestures are. Its spirituality didn't bother me, in fact it added another layer of enjoyment to the whole, and that comes from a very blatant atheist.

All dogs go to heaven
- Discovering Don Bluth was so great, damn, I wonder why I didn't pay attention to him earlier. Another gem with very likeable characters and surprisingly emotional at some points. The way it deals with death, in special, was very impressive and refreshing for an animation for kids.

Treasure planet
- It is a fine adventure, nothing too wonderful but definitely solid, but it suffers from a case of extremely bland and unlikeable main character I felt emotionally detached from since the beginning.

Tokyo Godfathers
- As said, I need a rewatch to talk about it properly. A very poignant Christmas story with a fascinating group of characters.

Madagascar 2
- Okay, I watched the entire trilogy, and this was a surprise. A massive increase of quality after the first one, which I could very well consider one of my least favorite animated films of all time. This one is not specially lucid or great, but it has something that its predecessor didn't, and it is actual, consistent and at least mildly satisfying character focus. The characters were distinct enough, they had conflicts which were explored, and actually interacted with the environment in ways that put emphasis on their individuality. It was also funnier and the setting was far more appealing.

Wall-E
- It's one of my favorite animated films of all time, and it remains in this spot till I rewatch it. The first half in special was fascinating.

Waltz with Bashir
- At the time I had issues with the artstyle, very good-looking and delivering some truly impressive images but I just don't get into this rotoscope-like style. I guess this will grow on me if I watch it again now.

I'll try to post a review at least for the ones I have watched lately (Madagascar 2 and Treasure planet), but right now I'll send the list.

The Last Unicorn was last on my list too, sorry Cosmic. As i said i really regret not seeing it when i was younger as i believe i would've really loved it.

Madagascar 2 was 7/9 for me. It was alright i enjoyed much more than i expected too.

All Dogs was my 8/9. I really liked it as a kid but i tried to rewatch it as an adult and sadly didn't like it much anymore. Weird that the bottom three was my bottom three just in a different order, thought All Dogs would be higher.