Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Hustler (1961, multiple rewatch)
+

Just as I remember it. Perfect! Real. Without a lot of unnecessary yapping. Great in black and white. Where do I find the colorized version? (kidding)

Iro, as much as I like your main thread write-ups, I much prefer them in this thread.

Casablanca (1942)

I had seen this 3 or 4 times over the years, and while I thought it was a very good movie, I never thought it was anything more than that. I watched it again for the eventual 40's countdown, and I'm glad I did because it all clicked for me this time.

In a nutshell, I now look at this movie as a masterpiece. Bogart and Bergman are simply amazing, and the supporting actors all own the roles that they're playing. It's got the story, the music, subtle and sudden laugh out loud humor, and it's all done with so much class. It's got beautiful direction and atmosphere to spare. The nightclub setting is so intimate, and I find that amazing because the inside shell of the building appears cold, but it's warmed up with perfect lighting and decor. Every detail from the clothes to the candles to the chandeliers are top notch. There are many great movies, and each one would be fortunate to have a historically great moment or line. In this movie, it feels like they come at you non-stop, one right after another. I have no clue why it took so long for me to finally appreciate this movie properly.

I had seen this 3 or 4 times over the years, and while I thought it was a very good movie, I never thought it was anything more than that. I watched it again for the eventual 40's countdown, and I'm glad I did because it all clicked for me this time.

In a nutshell, I now look at this movie as a masterpiece. Bogart and Bergman are simply amazing, and the supporting actors all own the roles that they're playing. It's got the story, the music, subtle and sudden laugh out loud humor, and it's all done with so much class. It's got beautiful direction and atmosphere to spare. The nightclub setting is so intimate, and I find that amazing because the inside shell of the building appears cold, but it's warmed up with perfect lighting and decor. Every detail from the clothes to the candles to the chandeliers are top notch. There are many great movies, and each one would be fortunate to have a historically great moment or line. In this movie, it feels like they come at you non-stop, one right after another. I have no clue why it took so long for me to finally appreciate this movie properly.
One of the greats. Everything is perfect. The pace, the performances, the humour, the photography. 10/10

Casablanca (1942)

There is a reason it's one of my all time favorites, and you sum up a lot of the reasons why. But I didn't fully appreciate either until my second watch I think. I was at an 8 or maybe 9 and then it became a solid through and through 10/10. I love it so much. I adore that movie.

BIG
(1988)

Classic comedy starring Tom Hanks, in one of his best performances and one that earned him his very first Oscar nomination. Tom is just so convincing as a 13-year-old stuck in an adult man's body.
Of course, I've seen this movie numerous times, but this time around, I watched the extended version, and I understand why the movie was edited down by about 20 minutes; the additional footage adds nothing to the story, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

BIG
(1988)

Classic comedy starring Tom Hanks, in one of his best performances and one that earned him his very first Oscar nomination. Tom is just so convincing as a 13-year-old stuck in an adult man's body.
Of course, I've seen this movie numerous times, but this time around, I watched the extended version, and I understand why the movie was edited down by about 20 minutes; the additional footage adds nothing to the story, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.

Need to rewatch that some time.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Pyongyang Nalpharam - North Korean martial arts film that is reminiscent of a classic kung fu film with some of the modern day wirework set during the Japanese occupation of Korea. A manual with the techniques of the titular martial art style (believed to be a predecessor of Taekwondo) is wanted by the Japanese invaders and a reuniting couple named Taek and Kyon (named after Taekkyon, another predecessor of TKD) join with Taek's fellow students to protect the manuals. Fight scenes are at times undercranked and have some exaggerated wirework, but overall, not a bad film at all.

Final Rating: B+ (mainly due the story, which has some intricate twists)

The Lobster - 7/10

Inside Out (2015)

I love the concept of this movie and it did make me emotionally invested enough to make me cry. But I still wouldn't say I love the movie. I think it might be because Inside Out has had a lot of hype, which I find often ruins my overall feeling about a movie beause I expect too much going into it. I am planning on watching it once more, and I'm looking forward too seeing how I'll feel about it after a second viewing.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Ladies of the Bois de Boulogne

Apart from excellent direction, as typical of Bresson, I wasn't into the film at first. The melodramatic, far-fetched plot didn't impress me whatsoever. The *woman exacts revenge on her lover* narrative has been done to death. The ending, however, did the totally unexpected: it completely changed my perspective of the film. Easily one of the most moving - and profound - endings I've ever seen.

I'd rank this somewhere in the middle of Bresson's filmography.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Sea of Love (1989, multiple rewatch)
-

"Frankie, you want me to, I'll set you up with my Sister-in-law, how is that?
She got great t!ts. Divorced, no kids, no cats."

I've always liked this movie. Rooker, Barkin, Goodman, Pacino and a few other familiar faces (Jackson, Jenkins, Calderon). It's still pretty great in my book.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sister-in-law.png
Views:	455
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	28340