Who Is Your Favorite United States President?

Tools    

I meant Attlee was the better PM in my opinion. I'd agree Churchill is more interesting.

It's partially because i really like Truman. Last year i started reading about the Korean War; i found his problems with Douglas Macarthur very interesting in particular. I love how unlikely it was for him to become president as well; born dirt poor, working various small jobs before he joined the military then afterwards getting elected to office through the corrupt Pendergast machine which he'd abandon to become Senator, his unlikely electione win, etc. He just sounded awesome as well, memorizing an eye chart to pass the eye test for the military, the way he ran his election, etc.
I remember you once told me you didnt like Truman. You must have read this book since then. Dude definitely check out HBOs Truman (1995). Gary Sinise played him in the movie.

I remember you once told me you didnt like Truman. You must have read this book since then. Dude definitely check out HBOs Truman (1995). Gary Sinise played him in the movie.
I meant i didn't like how he started in politics through a corrupt political system in Kansas City. Still find him interesting though and i love some of the stories about him, i don't like Nixon as a person but i still find him really interesting.

Just thought i'd throw this in. On this wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

It compiles various scholar surveys, media rankings, etc, and comes up with the average rankings for each president. I'd say take Bush SR to Obama, or maybe even Reagan to Obama with a grain of salt since it usually takes a while for a presidents reputation to get cemented. TThis is what it looks like, the number next to their names is which president they were so you can see which eras it gravitates towards:

01.Abraham Lincoln (16)
02.Franklin Roosevelt (32)
03.George Washington (1)
04.Thomas Jefferson (3)
05.Theodore Roosevelt (26)
06.Harry Truman (33)
07.Woodrow Wilson (28)
08.Andrew Jackson (7)
09.Dwight Eisenhower (34)
10.James Polk (11)
11.John F. Kennedy (35)
12.John Adams (2)
13.Lyndon Johnson (36)
14.James Madison (4)
15.Ronald Reagan (40)
16.James Monroe (5)
17.Barack Obama (44)
18.Grover Cleveland* (22 & 24)
19.William McKinley (25)
20.Bill Clinton (42)
21.John Quincy Adams (6)
22.George H.W. Bush (SR) (41)
23.William Howard Taft (27)
24.Martin Van Buren (8)
25.Rutherford B. Hayes (19)
26.Gerald Ford (38)
27.Jimmy Carter (39)
28.Chester A. Arthur (21)
29.Benjamin Harrison (23)
30.Calvin Coolidge (30)
31.James A. Garfield (20)
32.Herbert Hoover (31)
33.Richard Nixon (37)
34.George W. Bush (JR) (43)
35.Zachary Taylor* (12)
36.Ullyses S. Grant (18)
37.John Tyler (10)
38.Millard Filmore (13)
39.William Henry Harrison* (10)
40.Andrew Johnson (17)
41.Franklin Pierce (14)
42.Warren Harding (29)
43.James Buchanan (15)

* Obviously all of the americans will know this but for some non-americans who might not, Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms meaning he served his first term then lost an election then won a second term in the next election. He is the only president who has done this and for some reason he is counted as both the 22nd and 24th president, there's only been 43 different presidents really; Trump will be the 44th but counted as the 45th.

*On some of the surveys counted certain presidents weren't counted because their time in office was so short. I think i agree with that in regards to William Henry Harrison and James Garfield, maybe Zachary Taylor too. It's absurd to count Harrison in particular, he died a month into his term most of which was spent in bed ill.

So too highs, too lows?

Gotta say the most interesting to me would be Teddy, Franklin Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. Yes Washington made all this possible but I just don't find him as compelling as these other 3.
The same but after reading the commentary in here I respect him a whole lot more than before. Yeah hes deserving to be on the $1.00

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Andrew Jackson, because he stood up to the European Banking families trying to gain economic control over the USA.

I'm going to put in a vote for John Adams.
Simply because when weighing his contributions to his recognition - the guy was cheated.

He's not on any money. He has no giant statues or monuments erected in his honor in Washington D.C.
And although he was an allegedly rigid, pugnacious and unlikable fellow, he was utterly uncompromising in his principles - probably one of the purist, most ethically-driven spirits to ever hold the office.

He was a staunch abolitionist who abhorred slavery (while the author of the Declaration, T. Jefferson owned slaves until he died, George Washington owned slaves, and even abolitionist Ben Franklin once owned slaves). Adams refused to engage in political mud-slinging while his opponents were unrestrained in doing such to him.

I have a rather unsavory theory - the men with monuments in Washington D.C. (Washington, Jefferson & Lincoln) were all over six-foot tall, rugged, stoic or handsome men. Adams was short, pudgy and squat - not at all attractive. Our society places special emphasis on physicality when it comes to our "heroes".

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Except for that Presidential $1 coin.

He also has his own HBO miniseries, which is excellent, by the way. So, I think he's finally getting some well deserved love and recognition.

To respond to my own questions up there, two too lows and too highs IMO, not including anyone from Reagan to Obama:

Highs:

Andrew Jackson: Maybe people judge him a bit too much for his time, but eighth best? That's a bit way too much IMO. I'm not really clear on anything that he did good, when i ask it seems to be a he set precedents thing in opposing the Central Bank. Fair enough but other than that and ignoring his Native American policy, i'd be interested in a positive assessment of him.

John Adams: Don't know. The Alien and Sedition Acts were something completely against the idea of this new country, he is usually criticized for that so fair enough but only counting his time as president i don't get what he did to deserve 12th.

Lows:

Ulyses S. Grant: I wouldn't claim he was a good president but 36/43 seems a bit too much, his scandals really didn't involve him at all and he had a quick hard opposition to the KKK and other racist groups, even sending Militias in to fight them. The collapse of his govermnent was due to his trusting nature towards people he placed in his cabinet, it's kind of unfortunate that this led to Jim Crow when his intentions were the opposite. I'd say he was a failure as president but that there's at least four or five he deserves to be above in those rankings.

Monroe: With the exception of the Louisiana Puchase the Monroe Doctrine was probably the most influential piece of legislation in the first five presidencies. Not saying he deserves to go far from his respectable 16th, but i really don't understand why he is below James Madison who is 14th?

Except for that Presidential $1 coin.

He also has his own HBO miniseries, which is excellent, by the way. So, I think he's finally getting some well deserved love and recognition.

Yes. I read the book by McCullough (which the HBO series was based on). I'm not a big biography reader, but enjoyed that book.

As far as Camo's question - Adams' Presidency was rather lack luster (although he did avoid war with France) and the Alien & Sedition acts are often criticized. But I think the basic fact that he was a founding father and the 2nd U.S. President makes us take into consideration many of his political accomplishments since so many were "firsts" of a new nation that he helped found.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...88#post1495488

But I think the basic fact that he was a founding father and the 2nd U.S. President makes us take into consideration many of his political accomplishments since so many were "firsts" of a new nation that he helped found.
Exactly. I think if we are including their full lives Adams should be really high, his defence of the Boston Tea Party folk alone gives him an undeniably strong position in the creation of the US.

As a President i'm not sure though, his most praised thing as president if i'm correct is the creation of the US Navy, but if i'm right it was actually the people Jefferson put in place that built the Navy and it was just Adams idea.

Andrew Jackson: Maybe people judge him a bit too much for his time, but eighth best? That's a bit way too much IMO. I'm not really clear on anything that he did good, when i ask it seems to be a he set precedents thing in opposing the Central Bank. Fair enough but other than that and ignoring his Native American policy, i'd be interested in a positive assessment of him.
I haven't read enough about him to really get into policy discussions regarding Andrew Jackson's presidency, but from what I understand, he was definitely one of the strongest political figures America has ever seen, right? He was an absolute beast. He's a prime example of how strong, firm and straightforward a president can be.
I mean, who else besides perhaps FDR dared to be more ruthless to help his own cause, while also getting away with it?

I'm sure "strength" and "being able to push your own policies" must be one of the factors they use for those top presidents lists, so that's why I'm bringing it up in Jackson's case.

I haven't read enough about him to really get into policy discussions regarding Andrew Jackson's presidency, but from what I understand, he was definitely one of the strongest political figures America has ever seen, right? He was an absolute beast. He's a prime example of how strong, firm and straightforward a president can be.
I mean, who else besides perhaps FDR dared to be more ruthless to help his own cause, while also getting away with it?

I'm sure "strength" and "being able to push your own policies" must be one of the factors they use for those top presidents lists, so that's why I'm bringing it up in Jackson's case.
I think everything you said about him here is true but i'm not convinced that should be seen as a good thing. Strong? Maybe. I think an argument could be made that he was childish and stubborn and held the country hostage, just as well as the 'he pushed the boundaries' argument 200 years later. I think Jackson is unique because he was the first president to challenge the system and both the pros and cons of it seem to get thrown at him whether he had much to do with it or not. I definitely think people ignore Polks presidency which was the closest thing to a continuation of Jacksons, except Polk was more successful in a shorter period of time and he doesn't get as much praise or flak as Jackson when he probably deserves more of both.