My Favorite Movie Love Triangles/Quadrangles

Tools    

Jo Jordan, Rick Martin, Amy North, Young Man with a Horn

Rick Martin (Kirk Douglas) is a musician who finds himself torn between two women who are actually BFF's: Jo (Doris Day) is a band singer who loves Rick but knows that his music will always come first; Amy (Lauren Bacall) finds herself drawn to Rick but doesn't give a damn about his music and wants all of his focus on her.

Jackie, Felicia, George, Jill, Shampoo

This was a very messy quadrangle but it was a lot of fun to watch. George (Warren Beatty) is a sexy Beverly Hills hairdresser who can't keep his fly zipped. Officially, he is dating Jill (Goldie Hawn), but he is also seeing Felicia (Best Supporting Oscar winner Lee Grant) on the side, who is married to Lester (Jack Warden) who is having an affair with George's ex, Jackie (Julie Christie), who decides she's tired of Lester putting off divorcing Felicia and decides she wants George back. This was the ultimate case of musical beds. And let's not forget Felicia's daughter (Carrie Fisher in her film debut) who also manages to get George in bed.

Sandy, Chip, Holly, Just Between Friends

It's a little soap-opera-ish but this was the kind of story that defined the term "romantic triangle." Sandy (Christine Lahti) is a TV journalist who is having an affair with her married boss Chip (Ted Danson). Sandy also starts taking an exercise class being taught by Chip's wife, Holly (Mary Tyler Moore). Sandy and Holly become instant BFF's and Sandy brings Holly home for dinner. Once Sandy learns who Holly is married to, she tries to end her affair with Chip, but finds out she's pregnant with Chip's baby. This triangle does resolve itself but not in the way you might expect.

Cora Smith, Frank Chambers, Nick Smith, The Postman Always Rings Twice (1941)

Cora (Lana Turner) is an unhappily married woman who falls for a mysterious drifter (John Garfield) who agrees to help free Cora from her marriage to Nick (Cecil Kellaway). One of the first movies people think of on this subject.

Richard Sumner, Bunny Watson, Mike Cutler, Desk Set

Bunny (Katharine Hepburn) is a television network employee who thinks she is happily engaged to slick Mike Cutler (Gig Young) until she meets Sumner (Spencer Tracy), an efficiency expert who she thinks is trying to eliminate her job.

Lucky Jackson, Rusty Martin, Count Elmo Mancini, Viva Las Vegas

Jackson (Elvis Presley) and Mancini (Cesare Danova) are professional race car drivers competing for the same girl (Ann-Margret). Needless to say, there was absolutely no suspense involved in who was going to get the girl here, but this was probably the closest I ever saw to Elvis having serious competition for the girl.

Karel Novak, Christine Radcliffe, Alexander Hollenius, Deception

Christine Radcliffe (Bette Davis) is a piano teacher in a relationship with the egomaniacal and domineering musician Hollenius (Claude Rains) but when Radcliffe's believed-to-be-deceased husband Novak (Paul Henreid) turns up alive and Christine wants to be with him, Hollenius refuses to let her go.

Ed Crane, Doris Crane, Big Dave, The Man Who Wasn't There

This fascinating homage to film noir centers on a mild mannered barber named Ed Crane (Billy Bob Thornton) who suspects his wife, Doris (Frances McDormand) is having an affair with her boss, Big Dave (James Gandolfini), but instead of exposing the affair, Ed tries to use the information to his advantage, but things don't exactly go as planned.

Brad Whitaker, Sara Whitaker, Dusty Mayron, Daddy's Home

Brad Whitaker (Will Ferrell) is a radio station executive struggling for the love and respect of his stepchildren whose mission is further complicated by the appearance of the children's biological father, Dusty (Mark Wahlberg) who shows up on a mission to win back his children and his ex, Sara (Linda Cardellini).

Cliff, Halley, Lester, Crimes and Misdemeanors

Cliff (Woody Allen) is an unhappily married filmmaker who has a chance to jump start a failing career by shooting a documentary on Lester (Alan Alda), an obnoxious, self-absorbed television producer, but finds himself drawn to Lester's assistant, Halley (Mia Farrow) who Lester is also convinced is in love with him.

Ted, Mary, Healey, There's Something About Mary

Ted (Ben Stiller) has been crushing on Mary (Cameron Diaz) ever since their almost prom date and has never gotten over her. Ted hires a private detective named Healey (Matt Dillon) to locate Mary for him and, of course, he falls for her too.

Jake Perry, Melanie Smooter, Andrew Hennings, Sweet Home Alabama

Melanie (Reese Witherespoon) has just become engaged to Andrew (Patrick Dempsey), the son of the mayor of New York (Candice Bergen). Melanie then learns that her first marriage was never legally terminated so she must travel to her small southern hometown to get Jake (Josh Lucas) to sign divorce papers.

Can I suggest "Dramma della gelosia" by Ettore Scola? (in English has a terrible title: The Pizza Triangle)

I must not be into romantic movies because I'm amazed at how many of these I've never seen (and some I've never even heard of).

But one quick note... look at this photo...
OMG! Is that time-travelling James Gandolfini or is it "Kevin Finnerty"???

I'm so embarrassed! I thought that was an actual "old" movie. Somebody teach me to read the text of posts that I quote instead of just looking at the pictures! No wonder he looks like James Gandolfini!

Judy Maxwell, Howard Bannister, Eunice Burns, What's Up, Doc?

Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal) is a music professor who finds his life turned upside down by the crazy aimless Judy Maxwell (Barbra Streisand), much to the chagrin of Howard's tight-assed fiancee Eunice (Madeline Kahn, in her film debut).

Veda Pierce, Monte Beragon, Mildred Pierce, Mildred Pierce

Joan Crawford won an Oscar for her performance as a small business owner who sacrifices everything for her spoiled daughter Veda (Ann Blyth) who pays Mom back by having an affair with Monte (Zachary Scott), the man her mother is in love with.

Haven't seen most of these. There's one that i hope will be high on your list, you've mentioned this particular movie on quite a few of your lists and it is mainly about a love quadrangle so i figure it must show up somewhere.

WARNING: "better be #1" spoilers below
Closer (2004)

Cady Heron, Aaron Samuels, Regina George, Mean Girls

After being home-schooled for most of her life, Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) spends most of her first year of public high school trying to befriend nasty queen bee Regina George (Rachel McAdams) and trying steal her boyfriend Aaron (Jonathan Bennett) at the same time.