The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Hit by a car? Crap. Hope there's not too much broken. Good to hear from you and get better soon.

P.S

The nurses treat you the same as you treat them is my experience. Be good and you may end up with him:

Be bad to them and risk getting her:

D.S

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Bringing up baby (1938) Dir. Howard Hawks

Take a slightly befuddled anthropologist, add an oblivious girl who never stops talking, mix in a leopard with an evil twin and finally set up Chekov's dino skeleton. Voilá, I give you Bringing up baby, one of the most strenuous movies I've ever watched.

I've seen a few Marx brothers movies. Not alot, but some. Their way of talking someone of their feet can be funny and entertaining. Let's call their rate of talking super sonic.

Hepburn goes beyond light speed.

The Marx brothers have pauses in their dialouge. I think Harpo exists as a mute for that express purpose.

This movie never stops talking. It never lets up and gives that necesary calm between verbal bombardments.

This was the first 40 min of the movie for me, in which I had to pause 4 times just to get a break from Hepburn's ceaseless chattering. After that point I must have gotten used to her, because I no longer found her as irritating as I previously did, though I can't say that I discerned anything changing in her performance.

Cary Grant plays the anthropologist, but not really. He plays Clark Kent. A softspoken, demure, weak man with glasses. He even turns into Superman at one point, taking off his glasses and it's there (I guess, they don't set it up at all) Hepburns character falls in love with him. Later in the movie, when he finally tires of her s*** to the point that he grabs her and tries to beat her (figurativley) over the head with the fact that he's had enough, she suddenly loves him. She even tries to detain him so that he will MISS HIS WEDDING. TO HIS FIANCÉ. WHICH SHE DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING F*** ABOUT. Urgh, I don't like this character.

On the other hand, I might've shot straight passed a good part of the movie: the comedy and the writing. The writing isn't the problem. When you acctually listen to it it's quite funny, but not when it's delivered by the two main characters (except for once by hepburn...and once when Grant, clad only in a feminine bathrobe, gets questioned by Hepburns aunts as to why he's wearing said bathrobe, jumps up in the air and exclaims: "Because I just went GAY all of a sudden" ). The surrounding cast though, there we have the bulk of the comedy. The bumbling lawman, the studdering gamehunter and the aunt with her dog. Everything culminating in a jailhouse where Hepburn has her one funny scene with the lawman, acting a gangster's moll. That got an acctual chuckle out of me.

Also there's an subplot regarding a pet leopard who gets confused with a ferosious, wild dito.

All in all, absolutley not the worst comedy I've ever seen (not even close and that's kinda depressing, really) but not the best either. Didn't like the main characters (much), liked the writing and everything was kept standing thanks to the supporting cast (and the dog).

By the way, as far as I can determine, they acctually put a terrier and a leopard head to head and let them fight for real (they might have been playing, but still). Not ok.

thanks you guys
ive been laying in bed watching tv all day and getting (bad) food served so lifes not too bad

Topsy, see if you can get some pictures of the nurses and then post them here. Make yourself useful.
anything for you Cricket

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
By the way, as far as I can determine, they actually put a terrier and a leopard head to head and let them fight for real (they might have been playing, but still). Not ok.
The dog was Asta, the best-trained-and-most-popular dog in movies during the '30s. He could hold his own with the leopard, but actually they used all kinds of F/X, trick shots, mattes, puppets to keep most of the cast separated from the leopard.

I'm shocked by the negative reception of Bringing Up Baby.
I'm not. It's a fast paced screwball comedy featuring K-Hep who seems to annoy everybody. But yeah it is an amazing film.

I think a screwball comedy from the 30s-40s would have a hard time placing high in an Hof. I love em, but I don't think comedies go over well and especially old screwball comedies in B&W. My nomination of Lady Killer (1933) came in second to last and My Man Godfrey came in midway, but that's only cause the bottom 3 films had a lot of dislike.

Still, I might get bold and nominate another screwball comedy.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not. It's a fast paced screwball comedy featuring K-Hep who seems to annoy everybody. But yeah it is an amazing film.
I don't like K Hep but I did like this movie. My rewatch will be interesting.

I've loved K Hep in everything i've seen her in which is admittedly not much. She brings such energy to her characters which i'm sure some people think of as over the top while i find it really fun and endearing.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Im in hospital so havent been able to get on much,however I just got connected properly and have loads of time to kill so i`ll have them all done in the next couple of days.
Thats why i havent been able to participate much,but im reading through it all now

Is this the same accident that you were talking about a couple of weeks ago in your "TopsyPop" thread? From your comments, it sounded like it was a minor accident, but now it sounds like it might have been more serious. I hope you're doing okay, and you're back home and feeling better soon.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm shocked by the negative reception of Bringing Up Baby.

I'm not really surprised by it. I'm a huge Cary Grant fan, and Bringing Up Baby is one of my least favorite of his movies.

I think part of the problem is that there's no "straight man" in the movie. The main characters are both kind of crazy, so they don't play off each other very well. They just both become kind of annoying in their own ways.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Just awful.

I haven't seen it yet but whatever you know...
Nice try. That bottom space always gives it away do it like this

The way this is going wouldn't be surprised if that was your reaction anyway.

Nice try. That bottom space always gives it away do it like this

The way this is going wouldn't be surprised if that was your reaction anyway.
Nice try. The smiley gave it away.