Movies You Think Everyone Loves?

Tools    

[quote=Gideon58;1574401]
Maybe...

Home Alone
A Christmas Story

I do know a couple of people who don't like A Christmas Story...I'm not one of them, but I think the film has suffered from over exposure...showing it for 24 hours every Christmas Eve on TBS every year could make even the most devout fans of the film sick. As much as I love the movie, I have never watched it more than twice during that 24-period every year.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I didnt realize how much I relied on Mozilla Firefox autospellcheck until I started using a new browser.

Your Planes, Trains reminded me of the greatest Steve Martin movie ever made, or at least the one I laughed the hardest - The Jerk

A Separation
Back to the Future (1985)
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Heart of Darkness
Morning Glory (1993)
Singin' in the Rain
The Third Man
The World According To Garp
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Jerk

I hated Steve Martin's The Jerk. It was such a stupid movie.

You get a minus kudo for that one, gbg!

Okay, but Hubby hated it too, so it wasn't just my opinion. Most of the time, Steve Martin is just so over-the-top that his movies aren't funny. They're just dumb. I think his best movies are All of Me (1984) and Roxanne (1987).

Okay, but Hubby hated it too, so it wasn't just my opinion. Most of the time, Steve Martin is just so over-the-top that his movies aren't funny. They're just dumb. I think his best movies are All of Me (1984) and Roxanne (1987).
Keep in mind, I really liked it when it came out... I was 15 at the time!
It was one of the first movies I ever saw on cable TV - I watched it at my aunt's house since she was the first person we knew who had cable.

Now I'm going to get a Cup O' Pizza!

Keep in mind, I really liked it when it came out... I was 15 at the time!
It was one of the first movies I ever saw on cable TV - I watched it at my aunt's house since she was the first person we knew who had cable.

Now I'm going to get a Cup O' Pizza!

Maybe the reason that I hated it was because I didn't see it until a couple of years ago. I watched it for the 1970's countdown here on MoFo when I first joined this site.

Maybe it's like Rules with the movie Airplane!. Maybe if I had seen it when I was younger I might have liked it, but I doubt it.

I love The Jerk, I seen it on a date when it first came out and every time I've seen it I've laughed. Thanks to Steve Martin and a talented cast.

But you like Airplane

Yah, Airplane was pretty stupid too tbh. I quite liked that as well but i only watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, feel like i'd like it more if i watched it when i was younger.

I love The Jerk, I seen it on a date when it first came out and every time I've seen it I've laughed. Thanks to Steve Martin and a talented cast.

But you like Airplane

Yes, but I saw Airplane! many years ago, so it's got nostalgia going for it in addition to the humor.

Yah, Airplane was pretty stupid too tbh. I quite liked that as well but i only watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, feel like i'd like it more if i watched it when i was younger.

Right, that's exactly what I mean. If you see these movies when you're younger, they're funny, but at some point, it just seems that we're too old to appreciate the humor if we've never seen the movie before.

Yes, but I saw Airplane! many years ago, so it's got nostalgia going for it in addition to the humor.
Yes, I've been making that point for a while... love of a movie often has as much to do with the experience and the memories (maybe even the people you saw it with) as it does with the movie itself.

I think that's why I've been feeling differently about some movies (like ones that were on the 4:30 Movie or Million Dollar Movie when I was a kid... a lot of the time, they were just "on"... they were something in the background. I wasn't studying them, or was just zoning out to them.) But now I might watch them and pay attention and discover something great about them I never saw before.

Although last night I watched Zardoz again... I had a deep fascination with it for about the first 20 minutes, but after that it felt just as frustrating, irritating and pretentiously annoying as I remembered it being.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale
The Shawshank Redemption

I'd be interested if anyone else believes that no film can please everybody. So I believe a film maker is pursuing a hopeless endeavor to try. To be creative, to excel, you have to take the risk of alienating part of your audience. The Godfather is a violent movie. When you put in that kind of violence you have just written off a large audience. Even some of the greats like Welles, Capra, etc. took the same risk. Not everybody is going to like Citizen Kane or It's a Wonderful Life, but how would you change them so everybody likes them. Another thing is I don't want everybody to agree with me or with each other.all the time. I like David Lynch and I know most people think he is a creep, in fact I think he is creepy; however I enjoy liking Lynch (except Dune) when others hate him. I don't like half the movies that have been suggested, but I'm glad many or even most of you do.

Though a true story, I didnt like the film cause it was so sad Hachi: A Dog's Tale

A Separation
Back to the Future (1985)
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Heart of Darkness
Morning Glory (1993)
Singin' in the Rain
The Third Man
The World According To Garp
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Old Yeller
The Shawshank Redemption

I'd be interested if anyone else believes that no film can please everybody.
The best answer is : I don't know. I don't positively believe there is one, but I don't believe there isn't either.

True : if just one person says he/she doesn't like the movie, than it has failed. But maybe one night there will be a somewhat obscure flick (watched by not so many people susceptible of disliking it), and everyone in the theaters that night will be in a good film-watching mood, and we will then find a consensus.

Originally Posted by marka3441
The Shawshank Redemption
That one has already been rejected.