What Makes a Movie Great? (reflection, not debate)

Tools    

To me a great movie is just a movie that I watched that produced a powerful effect on me. Powerful in the sense of being very memorable and affecting experience. The method to achieve that greatness varies a lot between movies.

Star Wars is a great movie to me because it's strong atmosphere and broad sense of imagination that produced a very memorable and "magical" experience. It's a modern mythological tale, essentially. While Tarkovsky's Stalker is a great movie for me for actually similar reasons (powerful atmosphere and strong sense of imagination) but it's atmosphere is far denser and darker, but I can see there are strong similarities.

Usually movies considered great that I disliked it's was not because I found they were bad movies but because I found myself mostly uninterested in their genre typical characteristics (Casablanca, Chinatown, Goddard's first film (whose title I forgot)).

I cannot recall a movie that I personally found it great that's not generally regarded as great.

I don't go into a Hollywood Blockbuster expecting artistic mastery, technical proficiency, or meaningful content. I try to see it for what it is, and I enjoy laughing at it if it's extremely ridiculous as it often is. A Hollywood Blockbuster can be a great Hollywood Blockbuster, but that doesn't make it a great movie. The sphere of "movies" is massive and it's standards are insanely high. The sphere of "Hollywood Blockbusters" is microscopic in comparison with drastically lower overall standards. You can adjust your standards according to the sphere of the movie you're watching and enjoy it for what it is without applying artistic masterpiece standards, but you can't then extend that to call it a great movie in the broader sphere just because it excels in it's own sphere.
Indeed. Movies like Winter Soldier and The Avengers are regarded as masterpieces of the "genre" of Hollywood blockbusters but fall far below what movies can do.

There are several Hollywood blockbuster movies that I found great, however, Apocalypse Now from 1979 cost the same as The Empire Strikes Back from 1980, it's technically a Hollywood blockbuster movie. 2001 A Space Odyssey was the highest grossing film in 1968, technically again a Hollywood blockbuster movie.

Glad to hear it's brightened up. Must be all the lightsabers.
Sure ^^

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Usually movies considered great that I disliked it's was not because I found they were bad movies
It seems like great and not-great are not measured along the same axis as good and bad.

I think they are, great movies are exceptionally good movies. Meaning, being exceptionally good in at least doing something it proposes to do. A bad movie is a movie that fails to do what it sets out to do.

For me it depends on the genre. Most Action-Science Fiction-Fantasy pictures I don't expect a fantastic story as I more so wanna delve into the action, lore, etc (Though don't mistake that for me being alright with a horrid story, but an alright one works for me). When it comes to Dramas on the other hand I expect a great story because most of the time that is what they have going for them. Also dialogue is CRUCIAL in every film. If the dialogue is horrid I just get taken out of the experience. Unless its a comedy or a parody, then I don't expect great dialogue either I just expect good laughs, a great story is just the cherry on top.

In my mind - at the core - suspension of disbelief and emotional connection.

In my mind - at the core - suspension of disbelief and emotional connection.
Suspension of disbelief is necessary for almost every movie and emotional connection discounts a lot of movies.

Suspension of disbelief is necessary for almost every movie and emotional connection discounts a lot of movies.
Is that just American movies though? Most movies are foreign movies no matter where you're from. And isn't drama the largest genre in terms of sheer numbers? I don't have to suspend disbelief for most movies I watch. I only have to suspend disbelief for Hollywood Blockbusters, and I generally dislike having to do so.

Is that just American movies though? Most movies are foreign movies no matter where you're from. And isn't drama the largest genre in terms of sheer numbers? I don't have to suspend disbelief for most movies I watch. I only have to suspend disbelief for Hollywood Blockbusters, and I generally dislike having to do so.
It's necessary for dramas too. You may not think about it as much in real-life scenarios, but it still applies especially when it comes to questioning the realism of acting, character motivations, and character actions.

If you're interested, Omni, take a look at my film diary thread and let me know if you still think so about the movies I watch.
Even before checking the thread I seriously doubt you make a habit of watching movies that specifically break the fourth wall predictably enough to where willing suspension of disbelief isn't even a thing anymore.

Some TV Tropes reading for ya:

Originally Posted by Willing Suspension of Disbelief
An author's work, in other words, does not have to be realistic, only believable and internally consistent (see Magic A Is Magic A). When the author pushes an audience beyond what they're willing to accept, the work fails in the eyes of that particular audience. As far as science fiction is concerned, viewers are usually willing to go along with creative explanations which is why people don't criticize your wormhole travel system or how a shrinking potion doesn't violate the laws of matter conservation, but even in the more fantastical genres, suspension of disbelief can be broken when a work breaks its own established laws or asks the audience to put up with too many things that come off as contrived. A common way of putting this is "You can ask an audience to believe the impossible, but not the improbable." For example, people will accept that the Grand Mage can teleport across the world, or that the spaceship has technology that makes it completely invisible without rendering its own sensors blind, but they won't accept that the ferocious carnivore just happened to have a heart attack and die right before it attacked the main character, or that the hacker guessed his enemy's password on the first try just by typing random letters, at least without some prior detail justifying it...

...What is in Real Life impossible just has to be made the norm in the setting and kept consistent. Of course, different people will have different thresholds for what they're willing to accept in a work, and what may break one person's willing suspension of disbelief may not necessarily have the same effect on another.
Continued: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ionOfDisbelief

Originally Posted by Acceptable Breaks from Reality
A Willing Suspension of Disbelief is a must for almost any work of fiction. There are certain elements of story or gameplay where realism would simply make a work tedious, difficult, or confusing for the audience. Thus there are ways in which works will be blatantly, unabashedly unrealistic, and nobody really minds...

...It's possible for these to become unacceptable, when the abstraction gets in the way of enjoying the work. On the flip side, it's possible to get so accustomed to a particular break from reality that people stop realizing it's unrealistic.
Continued: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aksFromReality

An "Acceptable Break From Reality", for example, could merely be that Nobody Poops.

Originally Posted by That Mitchell and Webb Look
Well, I feel that films — the film industry — has increasingly failed to reflect reality as people live it. No-one goes for a piss in Star Wars, you can watch the whole of Ghostbusters and no-one brushes their teeth, and in Lost in Translation, nothing happens. At all.

I watch mostly arthouse, indie, and foreign films, and more old films than new ones. For one thing I love Hyper Realism, like Gus Van Sant's work.

I've heard the whole "nobody poops" thing before. Well even though most realistic movies don't show anyone ever going to the bathroom, it's not that they don't, it's just that they do it off camera and between scenes because it isn't a part of what the film chooses to focus on. I don't think that's suspension of disbelief.

If realistic movies touch on a subject I just happen to know a lot about I may notice something is innacurate and just not let it bother me. I don't really suspend my disbelief. I just notice it and move on. I don't think a mistake means the movie requires you to suspend disbelief. That's not the same as having content they know is unrealistic and just doing it anyway because they want to.

I watch mostly arthouse, indie, and foreign films, and more old films than new ones. For one thing I love Hyper Realism, like Gus Van Sant's work.

I've heard the whole "nobody poops" thing before. Well even though most realistic movies don't show anyone ever going to the bathroom, it's not that they don't, it's just that they do it off camera and between scenes because it isn't a part of what the film chooses to focus on. I don't think that's suspension of disbelief.

If realistic movies touch on a subject I just happen to know a lot about I may notice something is innacurate and just not let it bother me. I don't really suspend my disbelief. I just notice it and move on. I don't think a mistake means the movie requires you to suspend disbelief. That's not the same as having content they know is unrealistic and just doing it anyway because they want to.
As I said it applies to acting too. You have to be willing to suspend your disbelief that the actors are who they say they are.

Another acceptable break from reality could simply be the camera, where it's positioned and how it moves. In real life you can't see people checking their mail from INSIDE the mailbox and you can't typically get a better view of something by elevating a good 30 feet in the air.

As I said it applies to acting too. You have to be willing to suspend your disbelief that the actors are who they say they are.

Another acceptable break from reality could simply be the camera, where it's positioned and how it moves. In real life you can't see people checking their mail from INSIDE the mailbox and you can't typically get a better view of something by elevating a good 30 feet in the air.
So because the most realistic movie isn't realistic to the nth degree, Hollywood Blockbusters can't be criticised for being extremely unrealistic? Is that the implication?

Originally Posted by Zotis
So because the most realistic movie isn't realistic to the nth degree, Hollywood Blockbusters can't be criticised for being extremely unrealistic? Is that the implication?
Not at all, there are Hollywood tropes worth criticising, certainly ones to do with realism, but if you don't like extending your suspension of disbelief to sci-fi or fantasy settings, then it's certainly not just Hollywood that's gonna turn you off.

Some of the flaws you noted with Star Wars ARE legitimte criticisms, but suspension of disbelief doesn't genuinely begin with the fact that it's a sci-fi/fantasy movie.

If you don't like extending your suspension of disbelief to sci-fi or fantasy settings, then it's certainly not just Hollywood that's gonna turn you off.
Suspension of disbelief doesn't genuinely begin with the fact that it's a sci-fi/fantasy movie.
These don't feel directed at me because they don't apply to me. It sounds like you're talking about something hypothetical and moot anyway.

This happens every time I criticise a Hollywood Blockbuster and people try defending them.

I don't have a problem extending my suspension of disbelief to the setting. I have no problem suspending disbelief for hyperdrives and lightsabers. I have a problem suspending disbelief for extreme cold causing a living creature to drop dead instantly. Isn't that pretty close to the example in the article you posted, about the monster having a heart attack?

I have a problem suspending disbelief for extreme cold causing a living creature to drop dead instantly. Isn't that pretty close to the example in the article you posted, about the monster having a heart attack?
Sure, that's fair criticism. It's arguable though in that it's assumed Tontons are arctic creatures, but they lack the protections their human riders have. My personal gripe with the scene is that the protagonists, who I'm supposed to LIKE, have no apparent qualms saddling and sacrificing these creatures in the first place (though that's more to do with the character portrayal than any particular brand of realism).

If that sort of thing pushed your threshhold for what you're willing to accept, then there's little arguing it. At some point though somebody has to decide what's "nitpicking" though.

I have a problem suspending disbelief for extreme cold causing a living creature to drop dead instantly. Isn't that pretty close to the example in the article you posted, about the monster having a heart attack?
Sure, that's fair criticism. It's arguable though in that it's assumed Tontons are arctic creatures, but they lack the protections their human riders have. My personal gripe with the scene is that the protagonists, who I'm supposed to LIKE, have no apparent qualms saddling and sacrificing these creatures in the first place (though that's more to do with the character portrayal than any particular brand of realism).

If that sort of thing pushed your threshhold for what you're willing to accept, then there's little arguing it. At some point though somebody has to decide what's "nitpicking" though.
Is it nit picking when there are dozens of equally ridiculous things in the movie? And it isn't consistent within it's own world because the Wampa is a very noisy creature but it sneaks up on Luke like a ninja. What about the creature in the cave on the asteroid surviving in space with no atmosphere or food except for a few wombats? It's ridiculous that those things are there in the first place or that the creature has a stomach it's food can walk around in without getting digested. I could just go on and on. There are so many absurdities. It doesn't push me past my threshold of enjoying it, but I can't think of them as great movies.

Remember the fight between Obi Wan and Vader. The slow feeble pathetic sword fight is down right laughable.

But there are still a few things about Star Wars that I love. I do love the ship designs and costumes. Especially the B-Wing. But my favorite thing about Star Wars is Boba Fett. He was a cold calculated killer who didn't waste time with words, but used action. His outfit is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. And I even like the fact that he died. Even though they brought him back in the books, those books were badly written, and there is no way he would have survived even in the circumstances they gave. Other than the movies, there are only a few portrayals of him that I thought did him justice. Most augtors just can't understand his cold calculating personality.

Is it nit picking when there are dozens of equally ridiculous things in the movie?
Not necessarily, too many little things can hurt too.

And it isn't consistent within it's own world because the Wampa is a very noisy creature but it sneaks up on Luke like a ninja.
You mean out in the snow? That's a relatively common trope, but you could argue that the ambient outdoor noise and snow muffled it's approach. Stuff like that really doesn't bother me at all unless we're talkin' World War Z types of surprises where a vehicle can jump the characters despite necessarily crashing through several cars silently to get to them.

What about the creature in the cave on the asteroid surviving in space with no atmosphere or food except for a few wombats?
I'm not sure if they're called "wombats", but suffice it to say it's a creature we're unfamiliar with. Who's to say it can't survive in space?

It's ridiculous that those things are there in the first place or that the creature has a stomach it's food can walk around in without getting digested.
That's a common trope in movies too. Pinocchio does the same thing although with a tad more leniency due to it's fantasy nature.

It's worth mentioning that there are obvious other smaller things living in it, so again this may not be all that unusual for this particular creature.

I could just go on and on. There are so many absurdities. It doesn't push me past my threshold of enjoying it, but I can't think of them as great movies.
That's your prerogative. You've given generally fair reasons for your dislike.

Remember the fight between Obi Wan and Vader. The slow feeble pathetic sword fight is down right laughable.
I always thought Obi-Wan sacrificing himself was pretty bogus. Yeah, Ben, "more powerful than you could ever imagine", feel like lending that power to saving the galaxy?

But there are still a few things about Star Wars that I love. I do love the ship designs and costumes. Especially the B-Wing. But my favorite thing about Star Wars is Boba Fett. He was a cold calculated killer who didn't waste time with words, but used action. His outfit is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. And I even like the fact that he died. Even though they brought him back in the books, those books were badly written, and there is no way he would have survived even in the circumstances they gave. Other than the movies, there are only a few portrayals of him that I thought did him justice. Most augtors just can't understand his cold calculating personality.
I think those are generally much flimsier reasons for liking Star Wars than say... the humor, Han Solo's character arc, Luke's relationship to Vader, the operatic scale, the music, sure Boba Fett looks cool, but I dunno, he never really did much in the movie.

I think Jango Fett outcooled him pretty well in Attack of the Clones.

Must be doin sumthin right
Arguing for Jango Fetts's feeble, dumb ass non-character over the inimitable bad assness of Boba Fett and his four lines over two movies is a non-starter, dead-end, full-stop. Your only recourse, your only possible out, is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4