Overuse of Computer Generated Images sucks!

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Are we making movies here or cartoons?

Overuse of Computer Generated Images(CGI) sucks!

I had a friend of mine drag me to Gone In Sixty Seconds.

The scene at the end of the movie where the car flies through the air looked ridiculous.

The original movie had better stunts.

I knew right then it had gone to far.

The only reason I watch Bond movies is the stunts, okay the Bond girls too.

Look at earlier Bond films;

Live And Let Die, the boat chase scene.
A boat is jumped over 110 feet, a world record at the time.

The Man With The Golden Gun, the corkscrew jump.
A car does a ramp to ramp jump while corkscrewing in the air.

For Your Eyes Only, ski chase.
A motorcycle chases a skier down a bobsled course.

The connection is stuntmen had to do this!

In Die Another Day what you get is a CGI sled skating along cracking CGI ice, towards a CGI cliff, how tense. WOW! I can't wait till the video game comes out!

These modern "film-makers" are cutting corners.

Rather than pay a stuntman and crew, it's easier to pay someone to move a mouse around.

I can't imagine what Lawrence Of Arabia, or the chariot race scene in Ben Hur would look like if they were made now.

Oh, wait a minute!

It would look like Gladiator!

Watch out Russell! that CGI tiger is going to get you!

I'm through.

You're preaching to the choir, buddy.

There's something about the old epics where thousands of extras were used for battle scenes. It made them majestic in a way. Now, it just looks 'neat'.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

For me it's all about the quality of the CGI. With computer technology at the booming rate it's going, sooner or later CGI will be indistinguishable from "real footage". How can we criticize something if we don't really know what it is (real or CGI)? For now, yes, I think that an overuse of CGI can really bring down a movie and take away it's feel but hopefully that will change in th coming years. I don't really put graphics on my need-to-see-because list either so I guess this topic dosent effect me as much as other people.

Oh yeah, this is my first post on Movie Forums, hi!

Are we making movies here or cartoons?
What's wrong with cartoons? I don't really like CGI that much but cartoons can be good too.

And with the CGI, it's all about using it properly.

Originally Posted by Garrett
What's wrong with cartoons? I don't really like CGI that much but cartoons can be good too.

agreed, cartoons are great...
as for CGI...well, if it's used to good affects, then who cares if there's too much of it. you can never have too much good stuff

Irreversible
The Devil's Backbone
Amelie
Delicatessen

All examples of good use of CGI.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Dart321
For me it's all about the quality of the CGI. With computer technology at the booming rate it's going, sooner or later CGI will be indistinguishable from "real footage". How can we criticize something if we don't really know what it is (real or CGI)? For now, yes, I think that an overuse of CGI can really bring down a movie and take away it's feel but hopefully that will change in th coming years. I don't really put graphics on my need-to-see-because list either so I guess this topic dosent effect me as much as other people.

Oh yeah, this is my first post on Movie Forums, hi!
So movies will evolve from actors without voices, The Jazz Singer (1927), to voices without actors sometime in the near future?

I guess in Cameron Diaz case that would work, she makes a better animated character than an actress.

Hi!

Originally Posted by Garrett

I love cartoons, I hate cartoons trying to be passed off as movies.

This is my favorite cartoon.

I just hate CGI effects, at least the kinetic ones. If there is any action involved, the effects usually come across as looking artificial, lifeless, and totally uninspired. I was watching some scenes from The Hulk the other day, while in my local video store, and the action scenes looked like a cartoon or a video game. The gamma-rayed one had such unrealistic physics applied to him, as well as a fake substance to his body. It was a joke. They are relying too heavily on CGI effects, IMO.

Give me John Carpenter's The Thing, and An American Werewolf in London any day, both true classics of the working-man's effects.