Thoughts on Batman v Superman (have a number of questions...

Tools    

...at the bottom)

Let me just say that I went in to Batman/Superman ready to **** all over it. I had already heard it was bad, did not like Zach Snyder, and was... shocked might be the right word? at how strange and disjointed Man of Steel was.

Just a few examples:
  • A (maybe the) major theme of the film is that Earth "isn't ready" for the revelation of a superman.. Kevin Costner goes as far to say that a young Clark should have LET A SCHOOLBUS OF CHILDREN DIE rather than save them and let them know of his power. So damn, son. What might the consequences be if the world finds out? Let's just hope this bitch doesn't fall apart. Oh wait, nothing happens. What happens when aliens hijack into the earth's television systems demanding that the earthlings return the alien they have been unknowingly harboring? "Oh, okay, we'll give him back." One of the only bits of levity the film has is when supes bends a douche bag's 18 wheeler into a pretzel. It's just played like a Family Guy one off gag where the world resets as soon as the scene is over. So bizarre.
  • There's a point where one of the invading Kryptonian's says that they're more powerful than Superman because they've evolved past morality... and this "weakness" is depicted through a scene in which Superman saves the life of a human soldier and, while still fighting two Kyrptonians who have been beating the hell out of him, for whatever reason decides its a good idea to take a few seconds to ask if the man he just saved is okay. Of course, as soon as the words come out, he gets knocked out for not paying attention. So okay. That's the kind of guy he is - corny, but canon i guess. Well Supes has no problem putting these people in harms way as he's throwing baddies through buildings full of innocent civilians in them.
  • That it's a triumph that he and Lois gets together feels almost disrespectful given how many thousands of people have died.

But Batman vs Superman was great I thought. Right off the bat, I appreciated the little retconning of the last movie's final battle. Where they acknowledged the terror and carnage of it.

Juxtaposing Supes with Batman and allowing superman to fade from center also helped the movie feel real in that it retroatively gives MoS an unreliable narrator. He's not just this totally immaculate being who's making strange decisions that the movie seems to be trying to convince you are rational (which again, I think was Zach listening to his audience's complaints and not planned from the start), but instead naive and easily manipulated. By highlighting his flaws, the movie gives him character.

It didn't bother me that Batman was much more brutal and at times murderous. It might not be totally true to the traditional character, but it was clear that he wouldn't do the killing himself if he didn't feel he had to and it helped Batman feel real imo. For as brutal as a character like that is, it seems weird that he would go so far out of his way to keep people alive.

The imagery was beautiful. Even if he's not the greatest story teller, Zach Snyder absolutely knows how to fill a frame.

The fight scenes were also incredible with the Batman vs Superman fight in particular being the highlight of the movie (as it needed to be). All the film really needed was to bang two action figures together for half an hour, but the film went beyond that. It did a very effective job of setting it up as a clash of ideologies.

The idea of how to handle a seemingly benevolent being who has total power that can't be checked is really interesting and the movie delves into some cool philosophical **** here that many comic book movies may touch on, but don't want to delve deep into. There are a lot of individual lines that gave me chills or made me think.

So I've been hearing that it's too dark or whatever, but you've gotta just judge it for what it is imo. It feels kind of childish to do otherwise. It's like people who criticize Kanye's newest albums because they're not College Dropout. You don't like autotune so you're going to mark it down? C'mon. (#Yeezy2020)

Anoter big problem was that scenes, much like this paragraph compared to the last, didn't seem to lead into one another. God awful editing.

A ton of lazy writing/logical inconsistencies (or is there something I didn't get?):
  • So Lex's motivation for hating Superman was the same as Batman's - he's an all powerful being who could destroy everything... so why does he think the answer is to make another more powerful Superman who the movie gives no indication is controllable?
  • So Batman decides he's going to be friends with this alien who - yes, could still destroy the planet whenever he wanted because... their mom's share the same name? What? Saying "he saw Supes humanity and he saw that Lex was manipulating him" makes Batman out to be a simpleton. Fearing a being who can't be controlled and could destroy the planet is legitimate.
  • How does Clark Kent not know about one of the most famous men on the planet in Bruce Wayne? He's not some average joe, he's a reporter.
  • How does Clark all of a sudden know who Batman is under the mask?
  • Why does Clark Kent get his own obituary separate from Superman? Doesn't everyone know that he's Superman? If not... how? So many people just know, it wasn't even a reveal.
  • Honestly, I know the glasses are canon, but if you're trying to go real world-y, they're dumb. Also, no one cares about Clark's job at the Daily Planet. Getting rid of that persona, might even make Superman more interesting with that extra isolation.
  • Lex walking into the Fortress of Solitude? Is that what happened?
  • I'm sure a ton of other stuff.

And some bizarre stuff:

• The dream sequences were interesting visually but, other than the first one, what did they tell us about Batman? The last one was also strangely narrative and long for as little new info as they gave us.
  • So as Bruce runs into the city, he calls one of the heads of one of his buildings. And he has to tell him to evacuate. As every building in the area is crumbling. And the people inside seem only mildly concerned. Bro.
  • Lex Luther being the Joker. Awful decision. So much cheese.
  • The techno that played when WW came out.
  • I'm sure a ton of other stuff.

So yeah, there were a ton of issues, but I thought the good washed over the bad.

Originally Posted by mlaturno
The fight scenes were also incredible with the Batman vs Superman fight in particular being the highlight of the movie (as it needed to be). All the film really needed was to bang two action figures together for half an hour, but the film went beyond that. It did a very effective job of setting it up as a clash of ideologies.
Ya totally lost me.

Snyder is one of the most inconsistent filmmakers working today. I do like a couple of his films-- Watchmen and, yes, Sucker Punch is a total mess but I love it for some reason. Dawn of the Dead was competent but nothing special. 300 is gayer than I am, and I'm pretty gay. Man of Steel gave me a migraine. I don't really have much to say about BvS, it's an improvement over Man of Steel and has glimpses of a better film, but I just have fatigue from all of this comic book adaptations. I mostly thought it was funny how there is this big build up to them battling it out, it lasts 20 minutes, and then it's over. Then the ENDLESS Doomsday CGI bukake fest starts and you realize there's still about a decade's worth of overblown action to sit through and at that point I left the theater for a smoke and watched a guy get carried out of the theater in a stretcher. Watching that was far more interesting than the actual movie. There is just way too much **** going on and it was unfocused as all get out. Plus since I've never read the Batman or Superman comics, I had no idea who certain characters or creatures were like those flying wasp desert men or the random guy that shows up in the dream sequence covered in lightning.

I give it a plus for allowing me to gaze upon Henry Cavil's bare chest for one scene, some well-done action sequences (mainly the opening and the car chase) some smooth editing there. Not sure how I feel about Eisenberg but you can't fault him for not trying to do something different and bringing some semblance of life to the proceedings.

But the film itself is just one huge cluster**** and I checked out fairly early, I really couldn't follow it after the first hour or so.

This post of mine is as dumb and nonsensical as the film itself. Restraint Zack Snyder ! RESTRAINT! look it up.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

I expected a lot better tbh

I expected a lot better tbh
Again, I'm not much of a comic book movie universe cluster****whateveryouwanttocallitfan, but when the comic con trailer came out it definitely sparked my interest. Then that second trailer came out and my interest had never plummeted so quickly before. I didn't even go in with any expectations, there's been far worse, but it's still pretty bad. My movie pal gave it 4.5 out of 5 on letterboxd and we keep arguing over this. He's young though, so I'll give him time. hah

Again, I'm not much of a comic book movie universe cluster****whateveryouwanttocallitfan, but when the comic con trailer came out it definitely sparked my interest. Then that second trailer came out and my interest had never plummeted so quickly before. I didn't even go in with any expectations, there's been far worse, but it's still pretty bad. My movie pal gave it 4.5 out of 5 on letterboxd and we keep arguing over this. He's young though, so I'll give him time. hah
I swear, MoS was nearly as anticipated as Star Wars during the time that that first trailer was out. The second one was so terrible; spoiled everything.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Dunno how you can call it a great movie, the final motivation for Batman wanting to kill Superman didn't even work. Initially he distrusted him but then ,after the bombing in DC, he clearly knows that Lexcorp is responsible.

And yet, he still spends so much time and money and energy trying to kill Superman? WTF

And since when was Gotham a couple miles from Metropolis? LOL

WW subplot was just filler.

And two answer one of your questions, I don't think that was a dream sequence. It showed the Flash, meaning that he had somehow manipulated time to get a warning to Batman. How that links into the story? Who the **** knows since the story was barely understandable.

Also Martha...just ****in Martha.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"