Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Tools    

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
This is the third time a DC film has had a massive backlash. Why would anybody waste money on going to see one now?
Why did they after this first, or the second movie?. How's it had really bad backlash?. RT has 75% of its audience liking it. Plus who the hell are critics anyway?. There no more qualified to an opinion than you or me.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

No point. I'm not going to see a film where apparently a jar of urine is a major plot point.
*laughs* Fair.

Welcome to the human race...
No point. I'm not going to see a film where apparently a jar of urine is a major plot point.
It's not.

Plus who the hell are critics anyway?. There no more qualified to an opinion than you or me.
Yeah, they are.

Wrong - and not bothering to see it is your loss.

Justice League will do very very well, even after the backlash of BvS. Can you remember the backlash from Man Of Steel?. In my total honest opinion i thought BvS was better than Age Of Ultron. Ultron was weak with plot holes and over crowding throughout and yet the critics hanged out of its ass.
BvS may have made $424m worldwide in 3.5 days, but it's only massive drop-offs from here unfortunately. Keep in mind that it has opened in every single country in the world (those that have theater chains & allow Hollywood movies, at least) Its domestic OW is a bit lower than Iron Man 3's, which indicates that this will almost surely fail to crack the $400m threshold. The domestic market is still the most important, since Hollywood studios don't get nearly as high a percentage of the total gross from international territories as they do from domestic revenues. The Chinese market (the world's 2nd most important by far) was not too enthralled by BvS. Experts say that the total in that market will be around $100m, an extremely negative result (Age Of Ultron made $240m in China) Most other international markets tend to burn out pretty quickly (even faster than North America)

I am not sure whether BvS will reach the $1B worldwide that is its minimum requirement. On top of that you have a generally negative reception.

I wanted this movie to succeed very badly, but the more I think of it, it was always a very tall order. The DC universe is really difficult to put on screen. Most of the characters have God-like powers and properties and this is a massive challenge for cinematic interpretations. Zack Snyder was given more than he could handle, in my opinion.

If you look at the MCU, they had the luxury of building their cinematic universe very gradually. They started with the one character that was the easiest to put on screen. Iron Man is just another, more cheerful version of Batman. No superpowers, a billionaire who derives his hero-status from a high-tech exoskeleton. The entire MCU was built around the relatively realistic character of Iron Man. He is a character that is only an exaggeration of reality, he basically is the idealized and glorified embodiment of the US Air Force and US capitalism. Remember that with the MCU, the Hulk movie was a relative failure, while Thor and Captain America where merely hits, barely making some money back. Iron Man almost single-handedly carried the entire thing forward until the first Avengers movie in which all of the characters came together.

It's difficult to tell whether the DCU should have gone down the same patient path. Maybe it would have been the better option. Maybe they should have just stuck to their guns with a Man of Steel 2 that introduces Batman, or a Batman standalone that introduces Wonder Woman, with Superman kept in the background. Dawn of Justice was a rushed effort to cram way too much in a single movie. Keep also in mind, that most moviegoers are not really that knowledgeable about comic books (I am sure that the vast majority of people did not get the Darkseid teasing etc)

In my opinion, the DCU should have used its most famous and bankable character and build from there, Batman. On the other hand, the recency effect from the Nolan movies discouraged WB from doing that. Man of Steel came only 10 months after The Dark Knight Rises. Warner Bros found themselves in a very tight spot. The MCU was marching forward relentlessly, the Nolan Bat-flicks were extremely recent, and they wanted to get going. It was an impossible task.

Warner Bros and DC need to calculate their next moves very carefully.

Why did they after this first, or the second movie?
Because Batman taking on Superman is a novelty. If (by the sound of it) they can't even pull that off, then what can they do right?

How's it had really bad backlash?
29% on Rotten Tomatoes speaks for itself.

RT has 75% of its audience liking it.
Whereas Guardians of the Galaxy had 91% of its audience liking it AND 91% certified fresh from the critics.
Plus who the hell are critics anyway?
The experts in storytelling and filmmaking techniques, who are able to offer a critical viewpoint away from bias.

How so?. Everyone has different taste in movies and everyone has there own opinion.
Yeah, but critics are supposed to be professionals. It's their job to watch every film regardless of personal taste - as a result, they have a larger cinematic knowledge base with which to judge every film that they see. Their opinion may still be an opinion, but their experience (and potential education) plus their ability to express themselves that allows them to critique movies for a living is supposed to provide grant said opinion a certain legitimacy. This allows the public to rely on it as a means of judging for themselves whether or not a film may be worth their own time and attention. Critics don't automatically have to be the sole means of a person determining whether or not a film is worth watching, but they should be able to provide good reasons for or against actually going to see it.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Because Batman taking on Superman is a novelty. If (by the sound of it) they can't even pull that off, then what can they do right?

29% on Rotten Tomatoes speaks for itself.

Whereas Guardians of the Galaxy had 91% of its audience liking it AND 91% certified fresh from the critics.

The experts in storytelling and filmmaking techniques, who are able to offer a critical viewpoint away from bias.
RT.

Sharknado 82%
Sharknado 2 59%
Spy Kids 93%
The Blair With Project 87%
Die Hard 4.0 82%
Babe 97%
The Babadook 97%

A few movies that show the critics on RT are clueless.

RT.

Sharknado 82%
Sharknado 2 59%
Spy Kids 93%
Die Hard 4.0 82%
Babe 97%
The Babadook 97%

Emphasis on "a few". I can cherry-pick a handful of RT ratings that prove the opposite.

Also, what do you have against The Babadook?

Emphasis on "a few". I can cherry-pick a handful of RT ratings that prove the opposite.

Also, what do you have against The Babadook?
I think that we can safely assert that the critics have been excessively harsh on BvS. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed with the film, but 29%??? That is preposterous. I can name 100s of movies, far lesser than BvS that have much higher, or higher RT ratings. I am even contemplating the possibility of some kind of conspiracy. Please bare with me: let's assume that the DCU fails on the big screen, and with Warner much weaker financially than Disney, then doesn't that lay the ground for a buyout of the DC property rights by Disney for a relatively low price? Then Disney find themselves in what will practically be a monopoly position in lucrative franchises. Having Star Wars, Marvel AND DC under their control. There are literally BILLIONS at stake here, and this is more than incentive enough. Keep also in mind the massive reach that Disney boasts throughout the media industry via myriads of cross-holdings and subsidiaries.

Just saying.

RT.

Sharknado 82%
Sharknado 2 59%
Spy Kids 93%
Die Hard 4.0 82%
Babe 97%
The Babadook 97%

In your opinion but the experts all consider those good films. And a lot of your examples many average viewers enjoy (especially the Blair Witch Project).

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Not sure why Babe was included there, great film.
Probably used as the example for George Miller's greatest work.

My "it's not a conspiracy theory when it happens", is that Snyder was chosen to fall on the sword, while allowing Affleck (and other future JL directors) to avoid being bogged down by the backlash of this movie.

In your opinion but the experts all consider those good films. And a lot of your examples many average viewers enjoy (especially the Blair Witch Project).
The Blair Witch Project is definitely a good movie, as is Babadook (though somewhat overrated) The rest of them are atrocious.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
The Blair Witch Project is definitely a good movie, as is Babadook (though somewhat overrated) The rest of them are atrocious.
I was going to say, I quite liked Blair Witch

I think that we can safely assert that the critics have been excessively harsh on BvS. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed with the film, but 29%??? That is preposterous. I can name 100s of movies, far lesser than BvS that have much higher, or higher RT ratings. I am even contemplating the possibility of some kind of conspiracy. Please bare with me: let's assume that the DCU fails on the big screen, and with Warner much weaker financially than Disney, then doesn't that lay the ground for a buyout of the DC property rights by Disney for a relatively low price? Then Disney find themselves in what will practically be a monopoly position in lucrative franchises. Having Star Wars, Marvel AND DC under their control. There are literally BILLIONS at stake here, and this is more than incentive enough. Keep also in mind the massive reach that Disney boasts throughout the media industry via myriads of cross-holdings and subsidiaries.

Just saying.
It's not like most people absolutely hated it. BvS also has an average RT critical score of 5/10, which is only just on the "bad" side of the scale. If RT adheres to the logic that a film with 60% of critics giving it a positive review makes a movie "fresh" instead of "rotten" then by that extension a critic rating has to be at least 6/10 in order to be a "good" one. It's not enough to make me automatically think "conspiracy".

Alright, I just wiped a bunch of posts out. There was no good place to stop, really, so I just tried to remove the ones that weren't really making an argument and/or were just namecalling.

Not assigning blame, just asking both of ya'll to move on, at least in this particular thread. Thanks.