This actor was born for this role

Tools    

This thread got me hooked...I promise this will be the last one, at least for today

Steve Buscemi as Carl in Fargo ("Are we square??!" )
And speaking of Steve Buscemi in Fargo, Peter Stormare as Gaear Grimsrud in Fargo.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
John Hurt is very funny when he's talking about his 'potential' casting as Gandhi.
Honestly, looking at who they approached prior to Kingsley, he was an okay choice (Kingsley). I guess there were no prominent enough Indian actors at the time. Shocking.

Boldly going.
Honestly, looking at who they approached prior to Kingsley, he was an okay choice (Kingsley). I guess there were no prominent enough Indian actors at the time. Shocking.
Kingsley is of Indian (Ismaili Muslim Khoja) descent. He won the Academy Award for best actor for Gandhi.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Kingsley is of Indian (Ismaili Muslim Khoja) descent. He won the Academy Award for best actor for Gandhi.
I'm aware.

Ronald Lacey as Arnold Toht in Raiders of the lost ark. One of cinema's truly creepy villains. The casting for this entire movie was extraordinary.
What I love about him is that if you look at him as the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder (I'd struggle with that, never mind Rowan Atkinson), you wouldn't know it was the same person. I was watching the series again recently and on the commentary I think it's Tony Robinson that says that Lacey is one of those actors who understood the tone completely and was so brilliant for that reason. He was also great in the Sherlock Holmes episode The Sign of Four, where his character is just as grotesque but he's much more recognisable.

What I love about him is that if you look at him as the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder (I'd struggle with that, never mind Rowan Atkinson), you wouldn't know it was the same person. I was watching the series again recently and on the commentary I think it's Tony Robinson that says that Lacey is one of those actors who understood the tone completely and was so brilliant for that reason. He was also great in the Sherlock Holmes episode The Sign of Four, where his character is just as grotesque but he's much more recognisable.
"Your BOTTOM will wish it had NEVER BEEN BORN!"

"Your BOTTOM will wish it had NEVER BEEN BORN!"
The one that sticks out for me is "I am a colossal pervert" as the Bishop starts to massage the 'doomed' Blackadder's shoulders, as well as "Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity – have you ever considered a career in the Church?".

And "You have looked in wonder at your last dawn Blackadder!" is a nice line. I preferred Richard Curtis in those days.

Ronald Lacey as Arnold Toht in Raiders of the lost ark. One of cinema's truly creepy villains. The casting for this entire movie was extraordinary.
"I'll tell you everything."

"Yes. I know you will."

Leslie Nielsen as...

Dr. Rumack in Airplane!

and Lt. Frank Drebin in Naked Gun
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Christopher Reeve as Superman:
I think what made Christopher Reeve so good as Superman was that there was something slightly otherworldly about him, at times you could almost say eerie (the music helps too, and it gets me every time). Having that combined with his stature and physique it's hard to imagine anyone better.

Boldly going.
Well, if he won an Oscar for Best Actor for this role, I guess his acting was more than just "okay".

Since Gandhi was raised in British-controlled India, and Gandhi attended university in London, and the film was produced by a British company, the casting kinda makes sense.

In the commentary, the film makers mention that multitudes followed Kingsley around in India during shooting, and that his reception by the people of India was largely positive. It helped people remember the man and those historic times.

Not "shocking" at all.

I think what made Christopher Reeve so good as Superman was that there was something slightly otherworldly about him, at times you could almost say eerie (the music helps too, and it gets me every time). Having that combined with his stature and physique it's hard to imagine anyone better.
I loved Reeve in the role but unlike most people, I thought his interpretation of Clark Kent was the most interesting part of his performance...Clark had a goofy, unassuming, clumsy charm that was completely endearing...I love when he's arranging for half his check to be sent to his mother and Lois makes the remark about sending money to his gray haired old mother and he replies that she's silver-haired...every time I watch that scene it melts my heart.

I loved Reeve in the role but unlike most people, I thought his interpretation of Clark Kent was the most interesting part of his performance...Clark had a goofy, unassuming, clumsy charm that was completely endearing...I love when he's arranging for half his check to be sent to his mother and Lois makes the remark about sending money to his gray haired old mother and he replies that she's silver-haired...every time I watch that scene it melts my heart.
Oh yeah – of course. And his Daily Planet Clark could easily be from the Forties, as could a lot of those characters really.