B-Movie HoF

Tools    

I started Humanoids today at a buddy's house, but we had to quit about 20 minutes in. Will finish within the next few days. Liked what I saw but I have a feeling it'll get even better.

The Dungeonmaster

I was caught off guard when I saw that this was directed by 7 different directors, but it works well with each being responsible for a different segment. Richard Moll, who I never would have recognized on my own, is a hoot as the villain, and the other two actors also do a nice job with the cheesy dialogue. One thing that I liked was that the movie almost constantly reminded me of scenes from other movies. This would normally be a bad thing, but it worked well with this movie. I enjoyed watching this.

Verdict: A bad movie, but a good nomination

Humanoids from the Deep -
+

I had a blast watching this. I haven't watched a b-movie in more time than I'd like to admit, so it was a refreshing and nostalgic watch. On top of that I watched it with my buddy, someone who really gets into movies while watching them. He had read about the rape scenes, so we constantly wondered who would get raped by the humanoids while watching. It's a great movie to watch with people, especially if they're into movies like this. Really good nomination.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Monsters (Humanoids From The Deep)

Some movies have great posters, this film has a great poster. Just the right amount of sexiness from the female, the right amount of horror from the ominous eyes preying on her and the right amount of cheese with that tagline. Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, the poster is a lot better than what the movie delivers, but the film is still fun in its own awful way.

For starters, it nails the b-movie trash genre perfectly. Bad costumes and gore effects, even though this is where all the money went. Bad ADR which fits right at home with every other b-movie. Thrown in sex scenes and naked women, this film has that in spades. What it also decides to throw into the mix is a lot of animal deaths and a weird unfinished subplot involving land dispute between the locals and the natives. I could have done without the dog deaths, even as cheesy as they were and what was the purpose of introducing the land dispute and not finish it off? We get that there is tension between the Natives and some of the locals, but give it a conclusion.

A lot of redundant shots, close ups of someone aiming down the barrel of a gun, close up of the chest on the humanoid getting shot. Why no head shots? Was it out of their budget range?

I laughed a lot during this film, which was fun. This is a comedy.

Fits the theme perfectly, great nomination.

Suspect's Reviews

High Kick Girl! (2009)
(Recommended by Zotis)

I'm not much into martial arts films so I wasn't planning on liking this. Not much of a story as a teen girl wants to become a better fighter. It's just an excuse for a nonstop barrage of fight scenes, mostly inside a gym setting. The girl is pretty good; she's cute and has personality. One thing they did a lot that I got a laugh out of, was to replay in slow motion different parts of the fights, immediately after they happened. High Kick Girl is completely devoid of blood and nudity, not good for a B movie, but it is amusing in a cheesy sort of way.

Verdict: Fair

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Miami Connection

This was exactly the kind of movie I was hoping would be nominated for the HoF. The film is about a martial arts rock band who get into trouble with motorcycle cocaine ninjas. The film was completely insane from start to finish, and every second was hilarious. The acting was terrible, the story was horrendous, and the result was incredible. This movie also probably has the greatest 80s soundtrack of all time. I will definitely be nominating the song Friends in the next Song Tournament.

Quality Rating -
-
Entertainment Rating -
+

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I tried something new for this HoF. In the nomination post I added all of the current reviews that have been written for each film. I did this because I was having trouble finding the reviews for my film in the 8th HoF, so I thought this was a neat idea. Let me know what you guys think of the it!

I tried something new for this HoF. In the nomination post I added all of the current reviews that have been written for each film. I did this because I was having trouble finding the reviews for my film in the 8th HoF, so I thought this was a neat idea. Let me know what you guys think of the it!
Really great idea. I may try that next time.

The Toxic Avenger

I was a teenager in the 80's working at Video Hot Spot. I got fired because I wouldn't stop recommending this movie to families. Luckily, I got another job down the street at One Stop Video. This used to be one of my favorite movies back then. I don't feel the same way about it now, but I got a huge kick out of watching it again. It really is a one of a kind, and it has everything you could ask for in one of these movies.

Verdict: Good

That is such a good story Cricket. It reminds me of a guy I knew who worked at Blockbuster Video. He would literally tell customers to watch the movie they were going to rent online, and he'd give them the specific url and instructions. Like a month later Blockbuster went out of business.

But what does IMDB ratings have to do with quality or whether something's a B movie?
I surely would have nominated Joy Ride instead of Ghost Ship if we could nominate a movie with 6+ of rating

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I surely would have nominated Joy Ride instead of Ghost Ship if we could nominate a movie with 6+ of rating

Because I had nominated my backup pick first and then asked nicely about The Toxic Avenger, and an exception was made because it basically is the definition of b-movie? Don't be salty because Troma is awesome. I wouldn't constitute either of your picks as a b-movie tbh dude, maybe cult movies, but not B-movies.