They SHOULD be Household Names...

Tools    

Hank Azaria

One of the hardest working actors in the business who has been doing it without a lot of fanfare or genuine acclaim. He made his film debut in 1990's The Rock and has also appeared in Pretty Woman, Heat, Now and Then, The Birdcage, Heat, Godzilla (1987), Mystery Men, America's Sweethearts, Along Came Polly, and Lovelace. Television audiences might remember him from Herman's Head, If Not For You, Mad About You, Friends, and Huff. His voice work on The Simpsons has earned him an Emmy as did his performance in the TV movie Tuesdays with Morrie. One of the best actors in the business who has rarely had his name above the title, but always does solid work.

Jane Krakowski

This multi-talented actress was first noticed in a small role in the comedy classic National Lampoon's Vacation. She went on to a role on the daytime drama Search for Tomorrow, which actually led to a career on Broadway, which finally led to her role as Jenna on 30 Rock. She sings, dances, and acts...one of the few actresses out there who actually is, to use an overused phrase, a "triple threat."

Viola Davis

My first exposure to this brilliant actress was as a defense attorney on an episode of Law and Order: SVU, but she actually made her film debut back in 1998 in the film Out of Sight. She has created a solid resume of TV and film credits since then, earning Oscar nominations for Doubt and The Help, and winning an Emmy and a Golden Globe for her current role on the ABC series How to Get Away with Murder. An actress who loses herself in every role she plays.

Alan Cumming

This flashy and fascinating triple threat performer first came to my attention on Broadway with his Tony award winning performance as the MC in a revival of Cabaret. He made his television debut in a TV series called The High Life. His film credits include Emma, Eyes Wide Shut, and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. He is currently entertaining TV audiences on Sunday nights as Eli Gold on The Good Wife. One of the industry's most underrated actors, who can say more with the cock of an eyebrow than with five pages of dialogue.

Jeremy Piven

This handsome and talented actor is best known for playing Ari Gold on the HBO series Entourage, but he actually made his film debut in the 1986 film Lucas. His other film credits include The Grifters, White Palace, The Player, Bob Roberts, Singles, PCU, Heat, Grosse Point Blank, Kiss the Girls, and Smokin Aces. His TV credits include Ellen, Cupid, and Mr. Selfridge. This guy definitely has the talent to become a household name.

Emile Hirsch

This actor, just about to celebrate 20 years in the business, is best known for playing Christopher McCandless in Into the Wild, a performance that should have earned him an Oscar nomination. His other film credits include The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, The Girl Next Door, Imaginary Heroes, The Emperor's Club, Alpha Dog, Speed Racer, and Milk. I think the right role could put this actor over the top.

Delroy Lindo

One of Hollywood's most recognizable faces with one of the least known names. Lindo actually made his film debut in 1978's More American Graffiti. He has also appeared in Bright Angel, The Hard Way, Malcolm X, Crookyln, Ransom, Feeling Minnesota, Romeo Must Die, The Last Castle, Clockers, and Dominoe. He is currently part of the ensemble cast of the neew ABC drama Blood and Oil. Another actor who can play good guys and bad guys and be completely believable in either.

Kerry Washington

She is currently ruling Thursday nights on ABC as DC fixer Olivia Pope on Scandal, but made her film debut in the 2000 film Our Song. Her other film credits include Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I Think I Love My Wife, and Django Unchained, but it looks like Olivia Pope is finally going to earn this actress the household name status she deserves.

J K Simmons

This veteran actor may be finally on his way to household name status after his performance in Whiplash, which earned him an Oscar and a Golden Globe. He made his film debut in the 1994 film The Ref and also had roles in The First Wives Club, Extreme Measures, Celebrity, For Love of the Game, The Mexican, The Ladykillers, Spiderman, Thank you for Smoking, Burn After Reading, and Juno. He also has numerous television credits, his most famous recurring roles were as shrink Emil Skoda on NBC's Law & Order and Vern Schillinger on the HBO series OZ. Household name status is LONG overdue for this guy.

JK Simmons' greatest attribute is his voice acting. He is great in Korra and Gravity Falls, as well as the English dub of Pom Poko. Honestly Whiplash was one of the first times I liked him when he showed his face.

Christina Ricci

This charismatic actress of the popping Bette Davis eyes made her film debut playing one of Cher's daughters in the 1990 film Mermaids, but really put herself on the map playing Wednesday in The Addams Family and Addams Family Values. She has also appeared in The Hard Way, Casper, Now and Then, Bastard out of Carolina, That Darn Cat (1997), The Ice Storm, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Opposite of Sex, Pecker, The Gathering, and Monster. She was part of the large ensemble cast in the HBO movie The Laramie Project and was the best thing about a short lived ABC series called Pan Am.

Harold Perrineau

His roles on the HBO series OZ and the ABC series Lost, along with his roles in The Best Man and William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet have earned this actor a place on this list.

Two great choices there, Gideon. Two actresses I always love to see on screen because they always bring more to their role than what's on paper. I'll admit that it doesn't hurt in the case of Jane Krakowski that I find her extremely attractive. With Laurie Metcalfe it was her role in JFK . It's a film I've always loved and have on my 100 and, in that ensemble piece, led by Costner's Garrison, I came away thinking mostly about Donald Sutherland's X and her role as Susie.

For me, Jane is Elaine from Ally McBeal. Though the first time I can remember noticing her was in an episode of Due South (which is a programme I loved.)
Never watched Ally McBeal, that's probably why I probably didn't even mention it.

Donal Logue

This Hollywood veteran who is currently playing Detective Harvey Bullock on the Fox drama Gotham began his career in a 1990 TV movie called Common Ground. His other film credits include Sneakers, Gettysburg, The Crew, Disclosure, Miami Rhapsody, Eye for an Eye, Dear God, Metro, Blade, Runaway Bride, Reindeer Games, Almost Heaven, and 9 Full Moons. He has been a recurring character on TV shows like Copper, Terriers, Life, The Knights of Prosperity, and Law and Order: SVU. A face you've seen everywhere but were probably unable to put a name to.