Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 -

The same rating as Death Proof. Now what?

Also, still waiting on a reply to this:

Mark of the Vampire (1935)

Oddball but very enjoyable thriller/comedy. It concerns a rich man's murder and the whole community's rush to blame it on vampires. Not helping matters is the appearance at an old castle of a vampiric-looking man (Bela Lugosi) and his daughter (Carroll Borland), who also put in appearances at the home of the murdered man. The man's daughter, Irena, (Elizabeth Allan) is upset to see this couple and even more upset at the appearance of what appears to be her late father, walking around. Investigating things are Inspector Neumann (Lionel Atwill) and Professor Zelin (Lionel Barrymore). Barrymore is really the whole show, stealing every scene he's in. For a bit of comic relief, there's famous character actor Donald Meek, who seems to live up to his last name in most every role he plays. Jean Hersholt, the very man who has a special Academy Award named after him, lends fine support as Baron Otto, the guardian of Irena.

This is a mystery and of course, all is not as it seems. Some things don't make perfect sense despite a sincere attempt to explain things near the climax. The last scene is fairly funny and unexpected, at least for me. A different but fine bit of entertainment.

The Gift (2015)

I thought this was like the standard, cheesy thrillers from the late 80's and early 90's. That's good for me because I could watch those all day. I liked the direction the story went in, and I thought the way the characters turned out to be was a surprise. Edgarton and Bateman are not the greatest actors, but they're two actors I always like watching. Entertaining and pretty solid.

Terminator Genisys

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 -

The same rating as Death Proof. Now what?

Also, still waiting on a reply to this:
Here:

I don't want to reignite the TCM debate that seems to divide people on here, but I've tried it a couple of times and it's not for me. On the other hand, I went in to Death Proof with low expectations and afterwards couldn't understand why it was so under appreciated. I've seen it a couple of times now and I still think it's a very good, possibly great film. If you want to take a look you can see my thoughts from a while back on it here.

So you're saying a shockingly realistic grindhouse movie from the 70s is worse then a homage to shockingly realistic grindhouse movies?
I'm saying I like Death Proof a hell of a lot more than Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I've no idea why you'd think either were shockingly realistic. Especially Death Proof which is, like all Tarantino films, is highly stylised.

A Pure Formality (1994) - Giuseppe Tornatore

It requires a very good script and acting from everyone involved to keep a film going in such a restricted setting...this one has surely succeeded in keeping it till the end, thankfully it knew how much to reveal...

8 out of 10

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Stanley Kubrick

There was always something that kept me away from this one for long, may be it has something to do with the look of it...but I am glad that I finally watched...

9 out of 10

Finished here. It's been fun.

Apache Drums
+

There's a lot to like here. Fregonese directs the picture with a steady hand, building an effective atmosphere right from the start. An ominous feeling of dread permeates the entire film, leading to satisfying and intense final act. The pacing of the film is spot on too. The depiction of the Indians is a bit questionable though. They are depicted as almost demonic entities that are evil for the sake of evil. Maybe I am being a bit too liberal here, I dunno.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
La Regle Du Jeu - 6/10

Kinda disappointing, as I compare a great film as the standard, as was "La Grande Illusion". I felt it was silly at times, trying to mock certain mores. At times, very melodramatic, but I guess certain people are.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Rules of the Game neither. At least it had deep focus way before Citizen Kane.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
La Regle Du Jeu - 6/10

Kinda disappointing, as I compare a great film as the standard, as was "La Grande Illusion". I felt it was silly at times, trying to mock certain mores. At times, very melodramatic, but I guess certain people are.

I just saw the film again with the audio commentary. Not knowing French hurts, because when I'm reading the bottom the screen, I'm missing lots of silent body language, and other things. I guess there's a lot of reference to Renoir and his films, which I'm not familiar with, as well as French history. I think there were so many names and triangles; I had to pause quite a bit, rewind, and still is pretty fast to watch a movie, read the subtitles, and try to absorb fast commentary which was very good by Peter Bogdanovic. Then again, in my head, as the film was moving, I could intellectualize a few scenes to make it fit as well....

"When the servants go with their intuition, and when the masters play "game-keeper", true chaos is formed, thus order is necessary to maintain a bourgeois society, even though repression can sometimes replace human nature." (the hallway scene towards the end)

I plan on watching this soon, and seeing how I feel then.

Few films i watched recently

Shane - 7/10

Really enjoyed this. I liked the look of this alot i'm so used to the Desert scenery in Westerns that it was a nice change of pace to see the more grassy farmland even though it was mostly set in the house or the bar. Even though it wasn't exactly an original story it kept my attention throughout, i particularly liked the fist fight in the bar, Shanes stance was hilarious but i thought that was pretty well done. My rating would be a bit higher but i thought some of the acting was pretty bad, the kid and wife in particular were pretty bad imo.

Also to Mark or anyone else who knows what i'm talking about. Do you remember a film where to characters discuss Shanes ending, whether he is dead or not when you see him slumped over a bit on his horse while passing through the graveyard? Honestly i'm starting to think i made that up but it was the first thing that came to mind when i saw that scene and it has been annoying me ever since.

The Hurt Locker - 8/10

I liked this alot more than i expected to, War films are a bit hit and miss for me and i've noticed quite a bit of backlash since its release, but yeah i loved it. I felt it was well acted, very tense with a good script. Even though you could tell that if anything was going to happen to the main two characters it would be at the end, Bigelow still managed to create a very tense atmosphere. The Sniper and Car Bomb scenes were fantastic, and i loved Bigelows (i imagine) choice to keep the scenes with Bill back with his family incredibly quiet and mundane. I also felt it packed an unexpected emotional punch too. The obvious scene being the one at the end with the guy with the bomb strapped to him, but the scenes with Bill harrassing and later abducting the dvd seller who doesn't speak much english really got to me too. Great film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Also to Mark or anyone else who knows what i'm talking about. Do you remember a film where to characters discuss Shanes ending, whether he is dead or not when you see him slumped over a bit on his horse while passing through the graveyard? Honestly i'm starting to think i made that up but it was the first thing that came to mind when i saw that scene and it has been annoying me ever since.
From The Negotiator:

Lieutenant Danny Roman (Samuel L. Jackson): "I like westerns, like Shane."
Lieutenant Chris Sabian (Kevin Spacey): "It's interesting that you pick one where the hero dies."
Lieutenant Danny Roman: "What are you talking about? He doesn't die. He rides off into the sunset, and that kid says "Come back, Shane!"
Lieutenant Chris Sabian: "That's a common misconception, in the last frame he's slumped over on his horse."
Lieutenant Danny Roman: "So he was slumped, slumped don't mean dead."