Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Tree of Life -

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence -

Well, I didn't hate it. Like its predecessor, it's going to take a while to process. I am unsure whether or not the deliberate blending of CG animation and line-drawing animation works all that well in the film's favour.
The CG was pretty horrible indeed. I think it's one of the worst Oshii films. Still very good but not at the level of gems like Patlabor 2.

Miyamoto Musashi (1961) - Tomu Uchida
The first in a somewhat forgotten series of six films tracing the life of Miyamoto - a well known figure from Japan's history it seems. This film is basically about him learning to become a samurai and it's a role made for a Mifune or a Nakadai ... but unfortunately they aren't in it. The cast is still pretty good with, among others, Chieko Naniwa and Rentaro Mikuni who have had supporting roles in many classic films from that era. This is quite a restrained Samurai film and whilst it was well made it didn't really engage me. It was decent but nothing more.

I am reading an incredible Manga about Musashi. Vagabond is the name. One of the best Manga I ever read.

Mogambo (1953)

Clark Gable stars as a game trapper in Kenya, who gets an unexpected guest at his camp in the (fine) form of Ava Gardner. They romance of course, and all of Clark's employees approve of the new arrival. But Clark doesn't want a woman hanging around (fool!) and sends her down river with the captured animals. So...along comes a documentary maker and his wife (Grace Kelly), who are all prim and proper British till Kelly falls for Gable, too. He starts to romance her behind the hubby's back, then Ava returns, her boat having run aground.
There's jealousy, snide barbs thrown by Ava, Clark punching out an incompetent worker, natives threatening to attack, animals threatening to attack, cute baby animals, attempts at catching baby gorillas for the zoo, clueless hubby unaware that his wife has the hots for Clark, and just tension, tension, tension. Directed by John Ford but far from his best. Still it's entertaining and when you've got the one-two punch of Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly, or vice-versa, you've got a winner.

Dumb and Dumber To (2014)

While nowhere near as good as the first movie, this sequel is nowhere near as bad as I'd heard. The 20-year gap in stories is explained at the first, with I thought was a fairly funny joke. The story concerns Harry (Jeff Daniels) needing a kidney transplant and getting Lloyd (Jim Carrey) to help him track down a daughter that Harry never knew he had. Again, as in the first movie, they run afoul of bad guys (Laurie Holden and Rob Riggle) who want to do away with them and the girl they're looking for so they can get Holden's husband's inheritance. Once again, the two stars' stupidity fouls up the plans of the villains. Plus, there's mistaken identity, a character who
WARNING: spoilers below
uses camouflage ala "skin art" where they blend into everyday surroundings like a rock wall or a soda machine without someone knowing they're there,
the young lady in question they're searching for being a smoking young hottie, an 80's-90's star making an appearance
as the girl's mom
and a great death
involving someone in a hearse.

I laughed quite a bit throughout this movie. I didn't feel it was just a cash grab. I like most Farrelly Brothers' movies so this one worked for me.

Across the Pacific (1942)

Take cast members of The Maltese Falcon, Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet, and the director, John Huston, and you've got all the elements for a winner. It's not a classic like their earlier movie, but it's still pretty compelling stuff. Set before WWII, Bogie plays a man who's kicked out of the American Army and refused service in the Canadian military because of
his supposed theft of money. Is he really guilty or is he undercover? If you know Bogie, you know the answer.
He gets passage on a Japanese steamer which is where he meets Astor and Greenstreet and few other characters who figure into the proceedings. It's mainly tension and espionage, with the big action saved for the final third. I liked it quite a bit, and I think if you like Bogart even a little, you'll enjoy it.

I thought dumber to would be a lot worse as well. Heard so much bad crap about that but it was a decent flick.

The girl that they got to play the daughter was really cute. great smile.
obviously it wasn't anywhere near the first one but who really thought it would be ?

Welcome to the human race...
The CG was pretty horrible indeed. I think it's one of the worst Oshii films. Still very good but not at the level of gems like Patlabor 2.
Arguably, out of the four Oshii films I've seen I'd call it the worst, but the spread is pretty small.

Master of My Domain
There Will Be Blood -

The funniest movie of the last ten years.
I drink your sarcasm. Sluuuuuurp.

Master of My Domain
Oh yeah I forgot I laughed my ass off throughout that entire film. Sorry for making fun of your solemn statement.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Blacklist; Season 1
++ Did a binge watch of this, I've got season 2 on request at my library and anticipating both this and the 3rd season starting at the end of the month on NBC.
This is a very well written, VERY likable series so far. The diverse cases remind me of the high caliber story lines of Fringe. DEFINITELY a new favorite for TV shows

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Entourage (Doug Ellin, 2015)

Entourage is one of my all-time favourite TV Shows so I was incredibly anxious to watch this!
It may have a empty plot, with almost no actual narrative happening during 100 minutes, but who cares? It made what I was hoping for, it kept the series spirit and that's the most important thing! Seeing all the group reunited again was amazing especially Ari, probably the coolest guy on TV recent history!
It may receive some extra points for nostalgy but I freaking loved it!

Also, that last scene after the credits... Sequel?

+

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

I am not a fan of musicals whatsoever, but I love good ole fashion revenge stories plus the music in this wasn't over the top (Like the violence is lol) like most musicals so I could stand it. This is one of my favorite performances by Johnny Depp.