The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, and Night of the Living Dead was #25 on my list. It's not my favourite zombie movie but it is the classic zombie movie. Worth it for the beginning and the ending at least.

They're coming to get you, Barbara...

I think Woman in the Dunes is a good movie but it wasn't on my list.
If The Producers doesn't make it, it may be the countdown's biggest surprise for me.

If The Producers doesn't make it, it may be the countdown's biggest surprise for me.
Then you better make sure your blue blankie is nearby, Prince Myshkin, because it ain't gonna make it.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

in early stages, before expanding my watchlist for a decade of peace & love, Night of the Living Dead was a possible #1 choice on my ballot. I revere what George Romero did for low budget horror flicks in 1968 as a basically unknown director who had previously been working on commercials.. moreso than launching the zombie genre. If i loved the zombie subgenre, i'd have put it #1. i imagined we are bringing films back from the dead in this 60's contdown. Because when i went to my local dvd store to buy some 60's films for my watchlist, the workers there looked at me all funny and didn't know what most of the movies were. I mean, they're 50ish year old films. So Night of the Living Dead would have been a fitting #1 for me at that point, the winning pick of an old decade. It ended up falling to my #24, which may be a steep drop bc i like the supernatural vintage vibe of the film

#5. For a Few Dollars More
#6. Black Sunday
#24. Night of the Living Dead
#25. Dracula Has Risen From the Grave

Great set!

Shocked but delighted that Woman in the Dunes made it this high. I expected this to come in around the first half, and even then was skeptical. Number 17 on my list. Makes it even more Suprising that Face of Another didn't make the cut at all, which made my list at a lower position than this one.

Here are my brief scattered thoughts on the film:
Woman in the Dunes is the most acclaimed of Teshigaharas films, and my personal favorite of the three. This reminds of a less horror version of Misery, with more of a raw creative motive. I find isolation to be one of the scariest concepts, and this touched some thought into me, of how far I'd go. It's a film desire, whether it's a desire to escape your current "prison", or desire of a radio. This film is also concentrated on deception. It seems character had a trick up their sleeves. And while it maybe predictable, it's still directed well enough, that climax and plot didn't matter. This film also had some detailed close up cinematography, which I enjoyed. The director seems (based on this and Face of Another) an obsession of the body, and this is shown in not only the sex scenes, but where the camera is focused.
Due to having themes that interest and terrify me this has resonated even greater with me with time.

Night of the Living Dead was never really in contention for my list, but it was certianly a great experience when I watched it completely absorbing me in the atmosphere. The symbolic film certianly deserves this position on the list.

I guess we're at the time now where the rest of the films are seeming pretty predictable, so it's no probably discussing those films that made your list but not the final countdown. I'll reveal the full fate of all the films you've been discussing once we're very close to the finish, I think doing so now ruins the spirit of things a bit. There are definitely a lot of great films that didn't make it, but that was always inevitable, I was too a little surprised that some films received so few votes, but I think overall the list is quite a good representation of MoFo tastes. For example, I expected Woman in the Dunes to be high, as thanks to the HOF and members like Harry Lime and Swan having it in their top tens, it's got a lot of exposure over the past year or two.

But a friendly reminder that you all seem to be sticking to well so far, don't reveal the position of films you expect to show up on the list. Ranking is still important, especially when it comes to the winner, so the more surprise, the better

As a HUGE fan of Westerns, I am gratified by how well they did in this poll. With the inevitable The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly all still coming in the top eighteen to add to True Grit (#72), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (#52), A Fistful of Dollars (#51), For a Few Dollars More (#22), and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (#21), that is going to make eight. Nine, if you want to count the modern day drama Hud as a Western.

That is twice as many as the '70s List, which had Jeremiah Johnson (#92), Little Big Man (#61), The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49), and McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22). Plus Blazing Saddles (#33) if you count the spoof of the genre, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94) if you count it as a modern Western. Unsurprisingly, there were NO Westerns on the '80s List (very few made in that decade), and there were two on the '90s List: Unforgiven (#12) and Dead Man (#35).

Not sure how the more tradition Westerns of the '50s and '40s will play in the next couple lists, compared to the Revisionist stuff from the '60s onward, but we shall see.
The member here certainly seem to prefer the more "stylish", violent, colourful Westerns from 60s onwards than the Hollywood classics, but hopefully as we both back we'll continue to see some strong support for them. I know they're not everybody's favourites, but there are many fantastic films that seem to be getting more exposure recently.

For example Rio Bravo I would expect to finish high, where as maybe five years ago it wouldn't have. The Searchers will definitely make it, hopefully Ford has some more films but I know he didn't make many Westerns in that decade. I'll be hoping that The Big Sky and Wagon Master get some support for each director, and that people start watching Anthony Mann films too. High Noon is one that seems to be popular around here too.

Predictions for today? The quicker you guys guess, the quicker I'll post, just so I don't get these films stuck at the bottom of the page, making it easier for everyone

The Breakdown...

The Birds

1st (25 points), 3rd (23 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 5th (21 points), 3x 7th (57 points), 8th (18 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 11th (15 points), 13th (13 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 4x 18th (32 points), 19th (7 points), 21st (5 points), 2x 22nd (8 points),

Yojimbo

2nd (24 points), 4x 4th (88 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 7th (19 points), 8th (18 points), 9th (17 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 13th (13 points), 17th (9 points), 2x 18th (16 points), 2x 19th (14 points), 2x 20th (12 points), 2x 21st (10 points), 22nd (4 points), 23rd (3 points)

Notes

Both films received the same amount of points so were divided based on the number of lists they appeared on.

2 fantastic films I didn't vote for.

As for yesterday's pair they were both on my list For a Few Dollars More at #14 and Butch at #23 (or something like that haha)