Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Get Shorty (1995) 8/10
I really enjoy movies about gangsters and movies about the film business, so this one was right up my alley. It's smart and funny, it has witty dialogue and interesting characters played by an excellent cast (John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, Danny DeVito, Delroy Lindo)

The Next Three Days (2010) - Paul Haggis (American Thriller)
Two thirds of this is a vey interesting movie. A woman is jailed for murder and her husband plans to break her out. Whilst on the surface it's a bit silly it was actually handled well - particularly the fact that we didn't know whether she was guilty. That ambiguity in relation to her guilt really elevated the whole story ... and then in the last third it all got really silly and there was a whole scene explaining whether she was in fact actually guilty or not. This could have been a movie that you could think about for days afterwards but no, they had to make everything nice and simple.

As disappointed as i was with where the film ended up, it still deserves credit for making me care enough to actually be disappointed. Two thirds of very good plus one third bad equals a bit above decent i guess.

-

Petulia (1968) The movie is disjointed with flashbacks and forwards. A strange film, so stylistic and cinematic masterpiece... worth keeping!

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Promise (1996) - Luc & Jean-Pierre Dardenne (Belgian Drama)
My second movie by the Dardenne brothers and I'm impressed so far. This is a somewhat depressing story of a 15 year old boy working with his dad helping/taking advantage of illegal immigrants. The great thing about this is the characters. There aren't really good guys and bad guys - there are just people making choices and it's largely up to the viewer to decide how they feel about them.

Overall it was perhaps slightly rough around the edges but I liked it a lot.

+

Glad you liked it, Sane! I give it half a popcorn more, but I see your rating is leaning towards that. What was the other Dardenne you have seen, and how would you rate it?

And yeah, it's exactly their depiction of human beings making choices in a questionable enviroment, instead of just taking the easy route and portraying the various characters as good or bad.

Master of My Domain
Jules and Jim (1962)

A love triangle and two buddies. Two simple elements used in a vast number of films, and Jules and Jim has them too. Great thing is, this film turns those things into totally different ways, having a style of it's own but never losing the original shape. It's a love triangle but very cold and thrilling, it's a duo/buddy film but the two friends Jules and Jim, have deep relationship but are constantly silently watching each other in nervousness and inner hate, and not, let's say jump off a cliff together while screaming.

I would also like to comment on the cinematography, which I think was awesome. I really liked it. The swift movements and swings that follow the action and the characters in one continuous take to tell a story is something I'm a fan of. Example, the famous 'smoke train' scene. Instead of just showing a few puffs the camera moves circularly around while the music (btw, great soundtrack) imitates a sound of a puffing train. It could've been easily removed from the film, but it wasn't.

Overall, Jules and Jim is a huge important piece in the giant French New Wave era, a true masterpiece. The strictly character driven style and camera movement and unique direction which results sudden mood changes and a rapid transition from one scene to another isn't for everyone, but everyone should give it a try.

I was sure this a movie you would love. Guess not. did you know about the plot beforehand?
the poster by itself tell the entire plot so it's a little bit dissapointing for me

the poster by itself tell the entire plot so it's a little bit dissapointing for me
Wouldn't say the entire plot, but yeah I guess that is a pretty stupid poster to make for such film. I do think though, despite of that reveal, there's plenty of fun twists and turns throughout to enjoy and get surprised by.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sala Samobójców (Suicide Room 2011)

Feels movie with an awesome soundtrack.

"closed world, open wounds"
haha WTF it's one of the most hated films in Poland
i really dislike it too
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You Can't Take It With You - 9/10

I think I've done a review of this before, so I'll keep it short. It's a film that reflects my values, my vision of America, which is much different now than it was in the 30's.

Wouldn't say the entire plot, but yeah I guess that is a pretty stupid poster to make for such film. I do think though, despite of that reveal, there's plenty of fun twists and turns throughout to enjoy and get surprised by.
it's not bad tho... my expectation were just too high probably

Ballad of a Soldier (1959) - Grigory Chukhray

Propaganda film...but brilliant making-wise...one of those war films that one should never miss...

8.5 out of 10

Recently we watched the movie 'God is Not Dead'. The movie is very good and though provoking.

Glad you liked it, Sane! I give it half a popcorn more, but I see your rating is leaning towards that. What was the other Dardenne you have seen, and how would you rate it?

And yeah, it's exactly their depiction of human beings making choices in a questionable enviroment, instead of just taking the easy route and portraying the various characters as good or bad.
The other one was Two Days, One Night. I rated it slightly higher due mainly to Cotillard's performance. Next up is Rosetta which I think I will like a lot.

How is it propaganda?
glorification I would say...even the jeep that initially refused had to come back...

propaganda is not always a bad thing, I didn't use it in negative sense either...there are many great films that are propagandists...there is of course, a value judgement attached...

Care for some gopher?
Spaceballs (USA, 1987, Mel Brooks) -

The storyline itself is not that interesting and i didn't like the two protagonists "Lone Starr" and "Barf" but there lots of great jokes and hints to other non Star Wars movies in this film so i ended up liking the movie quite a bit.