GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

Could you not just look through a Criterion release list or have I misunderstood you here? If not I'm sure you could filter it to just European Criterion's then possibly further to Eastern European Criterion's.
i know you can google "Albanian Criterion Films" and it will come up with a list.. but not sure about doing Eastern Europe...

i know you can google "Albanian Criterion Films" and it will come up with a list.. but not sure about doing Eastern Europe...
The first list is just 7 and the second is only a few more but if none of them are the one you are looking for I'm sure a few more minutes of dedicated googling will turn up more for you

http://www.criterion.com/lists/27584...uropean-cinema

https://www.kanopystreaming.com/prod...ian-collection

The first list is just 7 and the second is only a few more but if none of them are the one you are looking for I'm sure a few more minutes of dedicated googling will turn up more for you

http://www.criterion.com/lists/27584...uropean-cinema

https://www.kanopystreaming.com/prod...ian-collection
I have a site that is of European Cinema.. over the past 50 or so years.. I just need to sit down and look thru all the Eastern European country sections ..

thank you tho.

I have a site that is of European Cinema.. over the past 50 or so years.. I just need to sit down and look thru all the Eastern European country sections ..

thank you tho.
Are you positive it's released on Criterion?

Are you positive it's released on Criterion?
Yeah Im pretty sure.. My friend and I enjoy more criterion releases than most.. thats usually what I suggest to him.. as we enjoy art house type films.. The whole film was amazing from the imagery to the story.... just overall a great film.. . and Im sure it was from a Eastern European country....

Cool. Hope you find it. There's nothing worse than forgetting the title of a great movie.
if Minio doesnt know I will post for rest of forum

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm taking a break from the 1960s movies and the Hall of Fame movies, and I've been watching a bunch of guilty pleasure movies, so don't expect many masterpieces in the next group of movies.

The End (1978) - This comedy movie stars Burt Reynolds as a man who finds out that he's dying, so he decides to kill himself. He ends up in a mental hospital where Dom DeLuise is a mental patient who is determined to help him die.

You wouldn't think that a movie about dying could be funny, but this is one of the funniest comedies ever. Dom DeLuise steals the movie in one of his funniest roles. The supporting cast includes Sally Field, Strother Martin, David Steinberg, Joanne Woodward, Norman Fell, Myrna Loy, Kristy McNichol, Pat O'Brien, and Carl Reiner, but my favorite is Robby Benson as Father Dave.

I've probably seen this movie over a hundred times, but this guilty pleasure movie makes me laugh every time I watch it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The End-1978.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	20802  

Hot Stuff (1979) - This comedy movie stars Jerry Reed, Dom DeLuise, Suzanne Pleshette, and Luis Avalos as detectives who decide that the best way to catch the criminals is to have the crooks come to them, so they take over a pawn shop and keep records of all of their transactions, until it's time to arrest all the criminals.

This movie starts out funny, and it gets even funnier as it goes along, but it slows down a bit towards the end of the movie. Overall this movie is hysterical, with some of the craziest criminals around. The whole cast is great together, and if you're a fan of Burt Reynolds movies, you'll probably recognize some of the supporting cast, (although Burt himself does not appear in this movie).

This is a great guilty pleasure movie that shouldn't be missed.

Attachments

Name:	Hot Stuff-1979.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	20803  

Little Darlings (1980) - This teen movie stars Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol as two teenage girls who meet at summer camp, and they compete to see who can lose her virginity first. Armand Assante and Matt Dillon co-star as the guys they set their sights on.

This movie is fun on one level, but it has an underlying layer of seriousness as well. There are scenes that will make you laugh, and scenes that will make you sad. One of the things that I like about this movie is that while the girls are excited about the competition, the movie doesn't glorify sex.
WARNING: "SPOILER ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
It shows the different reactions of the two girls after one girl succeeds in getting her guy, but the other girl doesn't get her guy, and their reactions are not what you would expect.

Kristy McNichol steals the movie with a fantastic performance. She and Matt Dillon make an adorable couple. Tatum O'Neal is a bit young for Armand Assante, but their age difference works well in this movie.

This isn't a great movie, but it's a good movie, and one of my guilty pleasure movies.

Attachments

Name:	Little-Darlings-1980-Poster.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	20804  

Just One of the Guys (1985) - This teen movie stars Joyce Hyser as Terry, a girl who wants to be a journalist, but after she doesn't get an internship job, she thinks that it's because she's a girl, so she decides to prove it by switching high schools and pretending to be a guy. There she meets Rick, (Clayton Rohner), a shy guy who she helps by encouraging him to talk to girls, but in the process, she falls in love with him, but he asks a different girl to the prom.

This movie has a lot of the typical high school kids, including the shy guy who likes the beautiful girl who's destined to be the prom queen, but she's dating the school bully, (William Zabka), who's destined to be the prom king. And then Terry shows up and shakes up everyone's world. She has help from her best friend Sandy, (Sherilyn Fenn), and her sex-crazed younger brother Buddy, (Billy Jacoby).

There are some very funny scenes, and some heartbreaking scenes. The plot is a bit far-fetched, but overall this is a good movie.

Attachments

Name:	Just One of the Guys-1985.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	20805  

Teachers (1984) - This movie is about a school that is being sued because they graduated a student who can't read, but they haven't learned what they did wrong because they're in the process of doing it again. It stars Nick Nolte, Judd Hirsch, JoBeth Williams, and Ralph Macchio.

Nick Nolte is great as the only teacher in the school who seems to care about the students. Ralph Macchio's performance is a bit overacted at times, but he does a pretty good job as a rebellious student. Richard Mulligan is hysterical as a mental patient who basically just walks into the school one day and begins teaching a history class. Morgan Freeman, Allen Garfield, Crispin Glover, Laura Dern. and Royal Dano round out a great supporting cast.

This is a fun movie with a serious message. It even has some great songs on the soundtrack.

+
Attachments

Name:	Teachers (1984).jpg
Views:	633
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	20806  

Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969) - This western comedy movie stars James Garner as a man who takes a job as the sheriff of a dangerous western town because he needs the money.

James Garner is superb in this movie. Even though he's a sharpshooter and he could easily beat the bad guys with his gun, he uses wit and wisdom to catch the criminals, and charm to win the girl. Jack Elam is very funny as his deputy, and Bruce Dern is great as the criminal who's arrested and kept in jail, even thought the jail cell has an open window and no bars holding him in. The rest of the supporting cast includes Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan, and Harry Morgan.

I highly recommend this very funny and underrated movie.

Attachments

Name:	Support Your Local Sheriff-1969.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	20807  

Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) - Although this movie has most of the same cast as Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969), it is not a sequel to the earlier movie. The story is completely different, and the actors all play different roles.

In this movie, James Garner plays a con artist who convinces the townspeople that his sidekick Jug May, (Jack Elam), is a famous gunfighter, but his plan gets complicated when the real gunfighter hears about it and shows up to confront the impostor.

This is a very funny movie, but it's not quite as funny as the first movie. James Garner and Jack Elam are terrific, and Suzanne Pleshette is great as Garner's romantic interest. This movie stands up well on its own, but it pales in comparison to the first movie, so I would recommend not watching them back-to-back.

Attachments

Name:	Support Your Local Gunfighter-1971-wide.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	20808  

Much more interesting movies (to me) than all the sixties crap you've been watching. I've not seen any of them (with the exception of Support Your Local Sherrif which is a favourite of my best friend. Can't say I care for it, though) but at least most of the posters don't put me off from the get go.

Much more interesting movies (to me) than all the sixties crap you've been watching. I've not seen any of them (with the exception of Support Your Local Sherrif which is a favourite of my best friend. Can't say I care for it, though) but at least most of the posters don't put me off from the get go.

I like a lot of the 60s movies that you consider "crap", but these are the type of movies that I like to watch when I just need to take a break for a while. They're not great movie masterpieces, but they're just feel-good, guilty pleasure movies.

What are some of your favorite guilty pleasure movies?

Have you seen Wild In The Streets (1968)? I just watched that last night. It might be the lamest film I've ever seen! We need a Lame Movie Hof!

I've never heard of Wild In The Streets (1968). It looks like it has a pretty good cast. Is it worth watching even though it's lame?

A Lame Movie HoF might be fun, but it might tough to pick nominations. You need to find a movie that's lame, but also good enough to beat a bunch of other lame movies. That could be a pretty fine line.

I think we should have a HoF for Guilty Pleasure movies.