Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Walk Among The Tombstones (2014)

Liam Neeson continues his string of suspenseful action films with the gritty A Walk Among The Tombstones.
The film borrows from the 70's and 80's action films with its grainy and gritty feel and a New York City backdrop. In fact, Liam Neeson has cemented himself as the Charles Bronson, Gene Hackman, or Steve McQueen, all of whom were relevant action stars of that era, of this generation.

The movie is not Neeson's best, but it is still very entertaining with several moments that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

50 Shades of Grey - 5/10

Was a "meh" affair overall - the lead actress did a pretty good performance, but the film felt very rushed - jumping from one scene to another without any sense of progression. The film also also revealed the protagonist's 'bondage' fetish way to early and ruined the suspense. It's basically "Twilight with S&M"

This film wouldn't be on the radar if it wasn't for about 5 minutes worth of scenes with extremely light bondage (which aren't even as explicit as clips from Madonna's "Erotica" music video from 1992) - so I think this is a testament to just how much morbid curiosity motivates the average filmgoer.

I don't get it. Guido wants to make a film and he dreams about stuff and people are ********.

I don't see what makes this film loved so much (by people like the BFI and Cobpyth). It's just a bunch of "artsy-stuff, look at me!" without reason. I'm only 16 so maybe I'm not smart enough for this film yet but it bored me. Horrendous.

Special criticism goes to the scene where Guido is dreaming about all of the women that appeared in the film in a house and they argue and try to "rebel against him" yet don't do it.

Only good part of the film was the music.

Probably a "you need to watch it twice" film "to understand it."

Another fantastic Noir. I love the story telling device in this one. Burt Lancaster might be the most "over actor" I ever loved.

The Theory of Everything (2014)

Renowned physicist and author Stephen Hawking's struggle with ALS, as well as his relationship with his wife Jane, played by Felicity Jones, is well-documented in this moving biopic starring Eddie Redmayne as Hawking.

Since I personally know someone who is battling this destructive disease, I had a strong connection to the film.

Redmayne's performance is incredible and worthy of all the awards and accolades he's received.

Dreams (1990) - Akira Kurosawa

Beautiful in bits and pieces, but nowhere near his bests as a whole and as dreams they seem far too coherent and logical (could be though, they are Kurosawa's dreams after all).

6 out of 10

I don't get it. Guido wants to make a film and he dreams about stuff and people are ********.

"
Yes, you didn't get it...I wouldn't have also, when I was 16. I first saw Eight and Half when I was 21, in a film festival...no, I didn't feel it was horrendous, but it didn't leave much of an impact either...in the same festival I also saw La Strada and Nights of Cabiria of Fellini, and I liked them much more. Then I saw it again about 5 years later...and then again very recently...it just keeps getting better...you can give it a try may be after few years...

It's just a bunch of "artsy-stuff, look at me!"
Don't become one of those people that writes off everything that isn't ordinary, conventional or immediately understandable as artsy crap. You might not always like or connect with films like these from the very start, but you would miss out on a lot of great film experiences if you ignored them.

Stay open-minded and rediscover certain films again in a couple of years, when you feel your senses and thoughts have "matured" or simply changed.
You won't like every film, but at least you should give all time greats like 8 1/2 more than one chance.

I don't see what makes this film loved so much (by people like the BFI and Cobpyth). It's just a bunch of "artsy-stuff, look at me!" without reason. I'm only 16 so maybe I'm not smart enough for this film yet but it bored me. Horrendous.

Special criticism goes to the scene where Guido is dreaming about all of the women that appeared in the film in a house and they argue and try to "rebel against him" yet don't do it.

I repped your post because I respect the fact that you rated and talked about it as you felt, and didn't let its reputation confuse you.

No matter if "you didn't get it" or if "there isn't anything to get" this is still your first watch and how you felt about it after only one experience. So, you never know if you'll love it in 10 years or so. Personally I have seen many films I didn't like or understand, but ended up loving later on.

Master of My Domain

Actually I want to cry more than facepalm, but f**k it.

Hope you have better results if you ever get to see it again...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I found the movie extremely annoying. Guess Fellini's style isn't for me. I don't say it's pretentious. It simply doesn't fit my tastes.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

That guy with the Alien avatar.
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas - 3.5 out of 5. It was entertaining, definitely didn't feel like a waste of time. Still not as good as the original, and it never will be.

The boy next door
avengers
fifty shades of grey
horrible bosses 1
horrible bosses 2

That guy with the Alien avatar.
The boy next door
avengers
fifty shades of grey
horrible bosses 1
horrible bosses 2
What do you rate them? Mine goes...

1. Haven't seen it.
2. 4/5
3. 1/5
4. 3/5
5. Haven't seen it.

Guess Fellini's style isn't for me.
Fellini never had any one style though...early Fellini is vastly different from Fellini of Eight and Half, and the Fellini of Eight and Half would change a lot in the end part of his career...

I've always thought of it as a "needn't see it once" kind of film.

The others are right, though. Give it a few years. You'll see a lot more films in the years to come and you'll get to know what you like and what you don't. If you like other films like this or by the director, then it'll be worth your time taking another look at it. You still might not like it, but you'll probably see it differently even if you still don't like it.