Ant-Man

Tools    

Madness. First the ant-sized teaser teased the human-sized teaser which teases the Agent Carter teaser which will tease the first trailer. Lol. I think the healthiest, sanest thing to do is to stop reading movie news and just watch the damn thing when it comes out.

The ant sized thing got a smile out of me, though.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
My prior comment was in regards to the "ant sized" trailer. It scores high for originality, almost as much as my disappointment after watching it.

My prior comment was in regards to the "ant sized" trailer. It scores high for originality, almost as much as my disappointment after watching it.
Well it was original, although I wouldn't recommend people try and watch it.

Trailer out:

WARNING: "Ant-Man" spoilers below
looks shite.

Not currently on fire...
Meh.

I imagine this will be one of those films, like Dune (1984) where people will always surmise over what could have been, had the original director still been attached.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
It makes me wonder why Marvel felt compelled to release this trailer? Given Marvel's track record, I was really surprised at the complete lack of any "aw-shucks" moments.

The ant-sized teaser was kinda stupid.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

Of all the superheroes they could've chosen, "Ant-Man" seems like a really strange pick - I'd never even heard of him until they announced this film.

Of all the superheroes they could've chosen, "Ant-Man" seems like a really strange pick - I'd never even heard of him until they announced this film.
He (Hank Pym anyway) was one of the original founding Avengers (along with the Wasp). By default, he should have appeared at the same time as the Hulk, Iron Man, and the others. And his powers weren't as lame as it's displayed here, as he's an intelligent biologist unlike Tony Stark (engineer) or Banner (nuclear physicist) and he has the ability to grow into a giant too as Giant-Man (the Wasp would also acquire this ability).

He (Hank Pym anyway) was one of the original founding Avengers (along with the Wasp). By default, he should have appeared at the same time as the Hulk, Iron Man, and the others. And his powers weren't as lame as it's displayed here, as he's an intelligent biologist unlike Tony Stark (engineer) or Banner (nuclear physicist) and he has the ability to grow into a giant too as Giant-Man (the Wasp would also acquire this ability).
K...

If they even join Ant-Man into The Avengers film(s) in the future, and Paul Rudd does play him, Michael Douglas' will still have to have some kind of role into the films. He plays Hank Pym the co-founder of The Avengers themselves. So having Ant-Man with The Avengers without Pym involved in anyway whatsoever would be kind of a travesty.

Plus in the movie,
WARNING: "Ant-Man" spoilers below
Yellowjacket plays Ant-Man's nemesis
yet in the comics Yellowjacket is one of Ant-Man's alter egos and one of Hank Pym's "other personalities". Another change from comics to screen as usual.

"Kind of a travesty", lol. As if adherence to the source material were more important than everything else, than execution even, as if having Pym in an Avengers movie because that's what happened in the comics is more important than having him there for a good reason, or leaving him out because it doesn't make sense for a particular story.

Most long running superhero comics are pulpy rubbish, and that's from somebody that enjoys them. If film directors, who are making two to three hour spectacles costing hundreds of millions, which couldn't be more the opposite of pulp, think they can improve upon these stories then I say bloody well let them, and the comic book nerds be silenced. It would be a "travesty" if genuine artists like Synder, Singer, Whedon, the Russos and the rest were too much influenced by the whims of the nerds.

They have already changed a great deal for the better, such as the creator of Ultron, which makes more sense, at least in the MCU, as being Stark, not Pym. I hope they continue to adapt and alter stories as they see fit, to make a more coherent universe and more effective stories. They need to be good movies above everything else.

Marvel and DC both alter their source material in the comics anyway, in the form of alternate universes and retellings and reboots.

"Kind of a travesty", lol. As if adherence to the source material were more important than everything else, than execution even...
Marvel and DC both alter their source material in the comics anyway, in the form of alternate universes and retellings and reboots.
Yes "kind of". And they do alter some material but they have to keep most or at least a majority of it, to make the films enjoyable to true Marvel fans. Although the films are enjoyable no matter what.

Paul Rudd is great in almost every movie I've seen him in from a comedic stand point. But I can't see him as a super hero....but if Disney believes in Rudd (and they've been pretty successful thus far) then I'm very optimistic for this movie. I do love how they are picking a lesser known Marvel character to the general populace even though he was a founding member of the Avengers.

Reminds me of a certain villain from the old (1994) spiderman tv series called "The Fly" haha.