Road to Perdition

→ in
Tools    

I really enjoyed Road to Perdition, as I predicted I would. I didn't love it; it was a brilliant piece of filmmaking or anything, but it kept me enthralled for the most part.

But the question, I think, is why.

I'm sure it is no secret by now that I want to be a filmmaker when I leave school. For this reason I find it very easy, if I am not enthralled by a film, if I am not being engrossed by the story, I can easily find something else to latch on to that will carry me through to the end.

For much of Perdition I was less interested in story [I consider story and plot to be seperate, just by the way; story includes characters and motivations as much as plot specifics], I had no real interest in either of the Michael Sullivan's for the most part, but I loved Jude and I loved Paul. As a result I found myself either waiting for their scenes to arrive, or bathing in the visual style.

I found it interesting to note the comparisons between Perdition and American Beauty, visually. Hall uses the rain in both films to give the illusion of weeping rooms and weeping people when the shadows of the rain get cast across the faces of characters. It was also interesting to note the ever rightward pan; a montage that pans right slowly before disolving into another shot that keeps the pan moving. This appears in American Beauty when each character hears the gunshot, and as Lester discusses the most beautiful things in his life. In Perdition the montage in which the two Michael's rob all the banks did the same. I was suprised; it is a very, very obvious technique when you are looking for it, and here was Hall reusing it again for a major sequence.

That being said there were some astounding visuals; the scene between Newman and Hanks in the street, in the rain. The shots of Jude as the train passes. The shot at the end; the reflection of the lake in the window as Hanks looks out of it. The out of focus shot on Conner Rooney. The door closing revealing Conner in the bath. My personal favorite; Jude Law's entrance. Sure it was a direct wink to Vertigo, but please. What an entrance. What a shot.

But at the same time, how quickly was I able to reel all of those shots off? Surely I shouldn't have noticed them so much, surely I should have cared about Michael and Michael? Instead I noticed the nuance of the cinematography; the small puddle of blood that flows from the bullet, ever so slightly, catching a glint of the candlelight, as it rests in the bowl, things like that. Surely the character should have meant more to me.

Well, they didn't. But I didn't mind. I didn't need the emotional connection because the filmmaker in me just leapt to the technical side, basically from the beginning of the film. A two hour lesson in cinematography was still worth my money.

So yeah.
I enjoyed it.

Besides eqsuisite cinematography and good music...this film really blew...

As soon as the opening shot faded up u knew the ending...besides that...the story was just boring...

Acting was fine but when isn't Tom Hanks fine?

Bad movie...

Eqsuisite, hey?

Can't get enough of that eqsuisite stuff. Bring on the eqsuisite...

EXQUISITE...Happy now?

Whats yessum...?

Only for the weak
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I really enjoyed Road to Perdition, as I predicted I would. I didn't love it; it was a brilliant piece of filmmaking or anything, but it kept me enthralled for the most part.

But the question, I think, is why.

I'm sure it is no secret by now that I want to be a filmmaker when I leave school. For this reason I find it very easy, if I am not enthralled by a film, if I am not being engrossed by the story, I can easily find something else to latch on to that will carry me through to the end.

For much of Perdition I was less interested in story [I consider story and plot to be seperate, just by the way; story includes characters and motivations as much as plot specifics], I had no real interest in either of the Michael Sullivan's for the most part, but I loved Jude and I loved Paul. As a result I found myself either waiting for their scenes to arrive, or bathing in the visual style.

I found it interesting to note the comparisons between Perdition and American Beauty, visually. Hall uses the rain in both films to give the illusion of weeping rooms and weeping people when the shadows of the rain get cast across the faces of characters. It was also interesting to note the ever rightward pan; a montage that pans right slowly before disolving into another shot that keeps the pan moving. This appears in American Beauty when each character hears the gunshot, and as Lester discusses the most beautiful things in his life. In Perdition the montage in which the two Michael's rob all the banks did the same. I was suprised; it is a very, very obvious technique when you are looking for it, and here was Hall reusing it again for a major sequence.

That being said there were some astounding visuals; the scene between Newman and Hanks in the street, in the rain. The shots of Jude as the train passes. The shot at the end; the reflection of the lake in the window as Hanks looks out of it. The out of focus shot on Conner Rooney. The door closing revealing Conner in the bath. My personal favorite; Jude Law's entrance. Sure it was a direct wink to Vertigo, but please. What an entrance. What a shot.

But at the same time, how quickly was I able to reel all of those shots off? Surely I shouldn't have noticed them so much, surely I should have cared about Michael and Michael? Instead I noticed the nuance of the cinematography; the small puddle of blood that flows from the bullet, ever so slightly, catching a glint of the candlelight, as it rests in the bowl, things like that. Surely the character should have meant more to me.

Well, they didn't. But I didn't mind. I didn't need the emotional connection because the filmmaker in me just leapt to the technical side, basically from the beginning of the film. A two hour lesson in cinematography was still worth my money.

So yeah.
I enjoyed it.

This is very old I know, but I thought that was a great review Silver. I too found the story to be lacking at times, but found myself impressed by the camera work. I wouldn't call this movie GREAT or anything, but definetly a good movie. All characters played their parts well, it's good that young people like me get to see why Paul Newman is considered to be so great. The show-down with him and Hanks in the church, and the epic event that takes place later that night is the highlight of the movie.

WARNING: "The Road to Perdition" spoilers below

Notice how when Newmans bodyguards are shot the gun makes no sound, and you only see the bodies fall. But when Newman is shot you hear sound but don't see the body fall? I dunno why but I thought that was great.

Evolution in Progress...
I'll be brief.... I liked the movie alot.

It stuck in my head for a long time... so I won't need to buy it
and I wouldn't buy it unless i saw it for cheap (sorry I'm a college student!)
But I definetly told all my friends to see it at least once! It is worth that, good theme, good moral question posed, good Hanks, good Jude, semi-decent oldest son (hehe) All in all GOOD like chicken

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I too will say shortly that I loved this movie.

Jude Law really stood out for me as the villain...minly because I loved how all of the scenes he was in were handled. I also loved Paul...he was great, and Tom, who made a great anti-hero. (although everyone was really good)

The direction and look of the film were just so great....I loved it's structuring...a great movie.

Evolution in Progress...
OMG... I completely forgot about Paul. And he had my favorite speech in the movie, where he and Tom talk about how they both knew that neither of them were going to heaven and how he could do the right thing for his son. Can't believe I forget something like that. My bad

The scene in which Hanks brings down Newman and his guards in the rain is my favorite scene from any movie ever. Just the way it is shot and the way the sound is mixed is totally amazing to me.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
The scene in which Hanks brings down Newman and his guards in the rain is my favorite scene from any movie ever. Just the way it is shot and the way the sound is mixed is totally amazing to me.
That was a beautiful scene. There are so many great scenes...plus it is so heartbreaking to see two essentially good people in such a bad line of work...they even talk about how they've damned themselves...It is a very emotional movie. I loved it.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Er, well thanks for the advice...but I did. If you re-read what I wrote, I said as an adaptation of the source material it grades an 'F', and as an overall movie it grades a C- from me. My problems with it were legion above and beyond how different it was from the graphic novel.
I read the novel and it wasn't...too...different. I'll grant you there were some major changes, but on the whole I thought the movie improved upon the graphic novel.

I don't dig letter grades, but I'll give it an A.

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Tom Hnaks was great in Road to Perdition. The movie has some great parts. The ending was just sad

I actually found the ending to be quite triumphant.

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
I actually found the ending to be quite triumphant.
True. But the ending was something unexpected.

SPOILER

WARNING: "Road to Perdition" spoilers below
A father and a son go to Road to Perdition alone to forget everything that they've been thru. Once they get there, they see nobody at the beach home. The father goes inside while his son is playing with the dog. There is a moment of silence while Tom Hanks is looking out the window and all you hear are the waves. All of a sudden... bang! He's shot several times. And you know he's not going to make it. The kid comes in finding the photographer [the guy who shot Tom] taking pictures of his ill dad. The photographer gets shot and dies. So will Hank, but not before he can have his last words with his own son. Real sad ending.

EDITED: To Add Spoiler Tags

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Originally Posted by T-850
True. But the ending was something unexpected.

SPOILER

WARNING: "Road to Perdition" spoilers below
A father and a son go to Road to Perdition alone to forget everything that they've been thru. Once they get there, they see nobody at the beach home. The father goes inside while his son is playing with the dog. There is a moment of silence while Tom Hanks is looking out the window and all you hear are the waves. All of a sudden... bang! He's shot several times. And you know he's not going to make it. The kid comes in finding the photographer [the guy who shot Tom] taking pictures of his ill dad. The photographer gets shot and dies. So will Hank, but not before he can have his last words with his own son. Real sad ending.
Why did you feel it necessary to write down the ending?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Why did you feel it necessary to write down the ending?
Start smoking again Lordy, for lord's sake start smoking - (Or at least chew one when you're feeling fractious )