2014 Box Office Challenge II

Tools    

I avoided The Expendables 3 like the plague since I heard it was going to be PG-13. I was on the fence with Sin City but decided to go with the animated Planes movie instead. Which seems to be a BIG difference. I am only in the hole 5 million with that flick as opposed to +100 million with Expendables 3.

Now we shall see what the final count is. IDK if that is with the bombs or not.
It is. Your bomb was And So It Goes. Only hurting you by a few million. You are going to be tough to beat but I am not saying a word this time around. With my luck Equalizer would make a billion or everyone would all of a sudden rush out to see Expendables.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm in second place, but I'm not going to get too excited as I was in second place the last one for a moment then ended up dead last.

I'm in second place, but I'm not going to get too excited as I was in second place the last one for a moment then ended up dead last.
Yeah but you were not on the Transformers train last round. This round there is no apparent movie to do that to you again. I promise nothing though. Have I mentioned that.

It is. Your bomb was And So It Goes. Only hurting you by a few million. You are going to be tough to beat but I am not saying a word this time around. With my luck Equalizer would make a billion or everyone would all of a sudden rush out to see Expendables.
Well it is Denzel Washington and Antoine Fuqua. I will be seeing it for sure.

It would be nice to come in second place. I've learned a lot from the first to the second. Like never bomb someone with some maudlin sappy teenage movie.

It would be nice to come in second place. I've learned a lot from the first to the second. Like never bomb someone with some maudlin sappy teenage movie.
Yeah. I wouldn't bomb with any sci-fi films that star the sexiest woman in the world either. Just a word to the wise.

Yeah. I wouldn't bomb with any sci-fi films that star the sexiest woman in the world either. Just a word to the wise.
Drew Barrymore's making a sci-fi films?!?!?!?!?!

Week 10:

$10,160,000

Big going ons this week. Let's Be Cops moved up a spot to fourth and As Above/So Below dropped two spots to number 6 in the weekly box office. In fact Box Office Mojo said this was the slowest weekend in two years. Despite that Sin City could not make a million bucks and Expendables barely broke that barrier.

I updated only the weekly box office numbers in the first two posts. Look for the thread to start picking for the next challenge. Coming Soon

Week 11:

$24,500,00

We are really crawling down the stretch here. No Good Deed wins the week but that means nothing to anyone. Hopefully The Equalizer will at least make a little noise in our standings in a couple weeks. I updated Weekly Box Office only.

Don't forget to sign up for round 3. Of those that have not, I have yet to hear from Teeter, Sci-Fi Slob, Jaydee, or Masterman. Hope to get a few more for this round. 12 seems like a good number and we are a few away from that. Link Below:

Box Office Challenge III

Guns crushed us . I'm still hoping for a second place. I would be pleased as punch if that happened especially considering my placing in the last round.

Week 12:

$32,500,000

Don't worry our last release of this round comes next week, so movement is coming soon. Meanwhile another YA adaptation that none of us cares about rakes in $33mil.

Want a couple more for the next round. Where you at Sci-fi?

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Planes 2
The Purge: Anarchy (CRAP movie but these flicks are made CHEAP!)
The Purge Anarchy is awesome !

Week 13:

$35,000,000

Equalizer takes the week and is our last release for this round. It looks like it will do fairly well, so Rauldc and JJ should probably not be worried about staying where they are in the standings.

Hey Slinger, remember when I said I was not saying a word because with my luck everyone would go out and see Expendables? Well, everyone went out and saw Expendables. It still is not making a ton of money, but it pulled into the black and that was enough for there to be a huge amount of movement in our standings. Including among the top three spots. Masterman is now in the lead. It looks like the bomb pick could be the difference in our winner once again. I picked Lucy for Masterman, and the movie is more than $300mil in the black.

Everything is updated in the first two posts. I will close this one out in 30 days. I will update weekly Box Office in the next challenge thread, doing final numbers for this challenge at the end of the October.

Your Challenge II Champion:

+1,097,357,000

Three of us broke a billion this round. A shame that Masterman has not been around lately, I know he would love giving us all a hard time about this. Everyone can thank me for pushing him to the top. I gave him Lucy as bomb and it made over $300 million in profit. Good enough to be the third highest earner this round. No one else had this movie. Pretty unbelievable.

In the first post on the first page you can find the totals for all the movies chosen this round. In the second post you will find the full leader board and the top five movies for this round. Thanks everyone again for participating, on to Challenge III. That leader board will be updated tomorrow.

Yeah, I took risks and I was unaware of just what that Galaxy film was, so I missed the marvel money. I've done similar on this one (though nothing like the extent) so you might get lucky again. Sadly, my experiment with Interstellar wasn't allowed.

I'm really surprised by the money that Lucy took. Was the summer really that bad for the comicbook fans?

Lucy is certainly the surprise of the summer I think. Lots of the expected stuff did great though so I am not sure the reasoning. Yeah unfortunately I kind of figured you for last when you didn't take Guardians, it was similar to what happened with Godoggo and Transformers last round.

I've not looked, if they've done well they've done well. It's just that when an action film as thin as that comes out up against the big summer hitters, and does that well, I start to think something's underperformed. Maybe it's just the star power of Scarlet? It's not something I see, so it's not something I'd taken into account.