Ghostbusters Universe... Possibly Coming Soon

Tools    

Not sure whether this should be in the Upcoming subforum or what, but here goes...

Dan Aykroyd has gone to press within the past 24 hours with news about the future of Ghostbusters.

He's mentioned about Marvel and DC having their own Universes... why not Ghostbusters?
He's thinking along the lines of expansion. Instead of just a new film and fans having to live with the sequel, olde cartoons and comics series that were spawned off the back of the original film, he's on about an entirely rebooted franchise that will kick off with Ghostbusters 3.

He's talking live action TV series's's, more films's's's, comics that tie into the original films (GB, GB2 and GB3 plus the other films), having recurring characters throughout them all (personally I'm thinking it'll be like CSI and Star Trek when they had characters from one series appear in another series)...

Ghostbusters is currently owned by Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis' Estate, Ivan Reitman and... Sony Pictures.

Sony have been currently working on the franchises of The Amazing Spider-Man and The X-Men (plus a few others), and unlike Marvel for instance, Ghostbusters isn't owned by several entities (Marvel characters are owned by Marvel, Disney and Sony, which is why there are so many incarnations of the characters)... so a big new franchise rebuilt around the background of the original Ghostbusters backstory, is not out of the question.

With Murray and Reitman completely disinterested in the franchise, and Ramis' passing a short while ago, Aykroyd is now just hoping Sony go for his suggestion as basically, it's just him and Sony that are in charge.

He has stated in the past 15 hours as well, that he'd like Jason Statham in GB3.

Ghostbusters can spawn out into different directions. Plotlines, stories, characters and worlds. That makes sense....but I just don't wanna see the original remade. That would be horrendous.

I think what did it for Aykroyd, was the suggestion of an all Female cast for a new film.

I think it sparked something along the lines of "Why not? We can have a whole bunch of different takes and make an entire Universe out of it"

Different TV Series' like GB: New York... GB: Boston... GB: London... GB Wherever... then maybe tie them together in films and have various actors from the different TV Series's's team up for a big 2 hour feature fight against something that'll destroy the world.

I'm looking forward to it tbh. Maybe this'll be one TV series I can actually get behind (referring to my Shouts a few days ago when I said TV does nothing for me).

I am so sick of hearing about the future of Ghostbusters. This has been talked about for 25 years. 25 years! I wish Aykroyd would just shut the f**k up already. I personally am not THAT interested in seeing more Ghostbusters. Who the Hell cares about ghosts anymore, anyway? I thought more and more people were going atheist.

Seriously -- this man is OBSESSED with a story about people taking gun-like things and blasting away at the souls of people's deceased loved ones. Dan Aykroyd needs some major, major help.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Seriously -- this man is OBSESSED with a story about people taking gun-like things and blasting away at the souls of people's deceased loved ones. Dan Aykroyd needs some major, major help.
Who needs help more? The person who blasts people's deceased loved ones or the people who still want to see him do it 25 years after the original?

25 years since Ghostbusters II.

It's been 30 years since the original Ghostbusters movie.

It's definitely happening, Aykroyd confirmed it. He said some ******** about it being about 'what a being a ghostbuster really means' and might have female busters and ghostbusters in training featured in the films.