Movie Market Outside US

Tools    

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
For those outside of the US, what's your movie market like? Are their many domestic movies made, is movie going a popular form of entertainment, how many American movies get showings, how are they looked upon?

Thanks.

Ghost In The Machine
Alive and kicking in the UK - hence our 12 Years A Slave will probably win Best Film Oscar in the USA, with our Gravity not far behind.

We make plenty of movies here, and movie going is extremely popular. Of course we love all your movies - you make them in our language!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
If your theaters get our movies, why is it that generally we don't many of yours? Or is that incorrect?

New USA movies can reach around 500k (but it's usually around 250-300k), domestic movies can get to a million. The most recent domestic movie reached 4 million profit, which is amazing but it was a very anticipated film,so..

is movie going a popular form of entertainment, how many American movies get showings, how are they looked upon?
I wouldn't say that it's very popular but yeah,people do go to movies.

All major USA movies are shown in my country, we also have some festivals so there's some arthouse stuff as well. I was never a big cinema fan so I can't say for sure but there but there was always a new movie in cinemas that I wanted to see.We get a lot of Russian films as well because of close borders and shared history, I guess.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Where are you from?

For those outside of the US, what's your movie market like? Are their many domestic movies made, is movie going a popular form of entertainment, how many American movies get showings, how are they looked upon?
Hollywood movies made up 90% of the total Brazilian ticket sales (nearly the same proportion as the US, where it is about 95%), European films usually make up most of the rest 10%. Domestic films are regarded as garbage by the population overall and only a select few manage to turn out a profit (such as Elite Squad 1 & 2 recently), most Brazilian directors live off by government subsidies and produce movies nobody wants to watch. I have watched about 100 Brazilian films, some are good but most are really cr*ppy.

Most people in Brazil watch exactly the same movies as Americans do, with the exception that European and Asian films are usually more popular in the home video market relatively, but to a small degree. Effectively, Brazil is an American cultural colony.

Movies are extremely popular but not going to the cinemas and most people only watch movies on TV or download movies: Per capita ticket sales in Brazil is 0.6 per year, compared to 4.5 in the US. But people here download stuff like crazy.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Just saw this. Informative. Thanks for the reply.

From France, the movie market is kind of strange because a lot of industrial rules and financial help goes to french production and small autors, so we still be able to see experimental films or deep and unpopular movies. But in general, this is like any other country, USA box office is like 70% of our featured films.
Sites for legal streaming, the best streaming platforms
Look at torrents français, a good source to find french torrents