Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Crowded Sky (1960)

"The Crowded Sky" is another lesser known movie from 1960. It's about a commerical airplane that's on a collision course with a military jet. The majority of the movie is about the backgrounds of the people on the planes, and it doesn't really get exciting until about the last 20 minutes of the movie. The biggest problem with this movie is that it doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller, and it tries to be both, but it doesn't really succeed at either. It's easy to see some similarities to the movie "Airplane", but it's not nearly as funny as "Airplane". "The Crowded Sky" is not a bad movie, but it isn't great either.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Peeping Tom (1960)

"Peeping Tom" is a thriller about a young man who murders women, while he uses a movie camera to film their dying expressions of fear. One of the good things about this movie is that we get to see the murders from the killer's point of view, making us the "peeping tom". We see the fear in the victims' faces, but we never really see the actual blood and gore of the murders, so this is more of a thriller than just a slasher/horror movie. Carl Boehm is great as the killer, but most of the other actors aren't nearly as good. It's a good movie, but it's not great. It's a bit creepy at times, but it's worth watching.

Here to learn. And judge silently.
Mine was Velvet Goldmine.

It's like this crazy glitzy not-biopic about the rise and fall of a glam-rock popstar named Brian Slade, based on David Bowie/Iggy Pop, all narrated by a present-day reporter who's trying to figure out what happened to Slade after some crazy stuff went down that kind of roasted his career.

Featuring Jonathan Rhys-Myers, Naked Punk Rock Ewan McGregor, and Baby Christian Bale, who are all gay for each other in a wild glittery fury.

Into the Storm (2014) ~ 6/10

Not as good as 2012 or The Day After Tomorrow.. It did have some intense scenes. Cast was not well known. (I only knew the actress who played "Laurie" from "The Walking Dead")

One of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Haven't seen the sequel yet, but I heard it's even better. 9/10

Brimming with rififi!
Enemy - 5/5
Given the wide spectrum of reviews this film has received, I'm surprised that I'm not sitting somewhere in the middle with my rating; I'm even more surprised that I had such a good time with this film that I felt it warranted a five-out-of-five rating. Enemy is far from a masterpiece, but it encompasses so much of what I've come to love about cinema. The film is expressive, surreal, engrossing, enigmatic, and above all else, it's an entertaining 90 minute ride. By the way, in regard to Enemy's final scene, I don't think I've ever gasped quite like that in my life--my real-life phobia had a hand in it, but still, the imagery is startling to say the least.

The Innocents (1961)

I'm not very big into ghost stories, but I thought that this is the best that it gets. I always feel that an important key to success in these movies are the performances of the children. The two kids in this are terrific.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My fave horror film, and certainly the most-beautiful. So what about that ending? Were the ghosts real? Was Miss Giddens a savior or a nutjob?

Brimming with rififi!
Paths of Glory - 5/5
Being a fan of Kubrick, I am somewhat ashamed that I am just now getting around to my first viewing of Paths of Glory. Whenever I've heard people discuss Stanley Kubrick's body of work, I generally hear people bring up Full Metal Jacket, 2001, and A Clockwork Orange; I am now astonished that Paths of Glory isn't the indelible film that Kubrick's name is associated with. What was fascinating--beyond the film's brilliant plot dealing with aspects such as the brutality of war, politics, pride, humanity, and patriotism--was seeing Kubrick coming into full bloom. Paths of Glory shows off Kubrick's film making talents that would inexorably lead him to becoming one of the greatest film makers of all time--it was like witnessing a birth.

The Chronicles of Riddick is the third film in the series, and Riddick is the fourth.
Nope. In order: Pitch Black; The Chronicles of Riddick; Riddick. These are all full-length films, released in order to theaters as #1, #2, and #3 in the Riddick canon.

There are other bits of the Riddick universe, with Vin Diesel providing his voice: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (video game); The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (video game); The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (animated video short); Riddick: Blinsided (animated short). Although you can include these, if you want, in the whole Riddick universe, they are not full-length feature films, and therefore I do not include them. So, as far as I'm concerned, there are three films.

My fave horror film, and certainly the most-beautiful. So what about that ending? Were the ghosts real? Was Miss Giddens a savior or a nutjob?
I like to believe the ghosts were real. The kids acted very strange at times is one reason but my main thought is why would she see ghosts of people she never knew if she was crazy? I imagine that if I went nuts, and saw ghosts, I'd see ghosts of people I knew personally, or at least people I knew a little more about. I also thought that maybe the uncle wanted to stay away because he knew something was wrong. I don't know, but I like how there's no explanation.

Brimming with rififi!
Insidious: Chapter 2 2/5
This Insidious sequel has its moments of terror, but they are incredibly sparse. The film relies on cheap surprises and it chooses to resurrect an agglomeration of horror cliches rather than attempting to do anything fresh and interesting. Additionally, the latter half of the film is drowning in exposition. A short quote from George R.R. Martin sums up my feelings regarding the horror genre: "the unseen enemy is always the most fearsome." I've always found horror films much more frightening when I don't know what's going on, it allows my imagination to reign over my perception. Akin to how darkness can be an incredibly frightful element, I like to be left in the proverbial darkness; this is more than likely why Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is my favorite horror film. Kubrick provides his audience with just enough information to allow them to attempt to make sense of what's unfolding before them.

I think any subsequent sequels should star Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson, the actors that played Specs and Tucker, respectively. The producers should change the entire dynamic of the series by turning the Insidious franchise into a horror-comedy film.

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

This is a solid all around movie with a terrific cast, but nothing about it stood out for me. Combine that with a pretty long runtime, and this wasn't the easiest movie to get through.

August Underground's Mordum (2003)

Extremely sick and disturbing-not recommended for anyone-Do Not Watch! I have one more to complete the trilogy.