Movie Tab

Tools    

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Amadeus
"Well, there it is."
1984 | Milos Forman
A+++
One of my favorites of all time.

"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion, their patron saint."

Did you get the 2-disc special edition DVD? I want it. I salivate over it every time I see it at Best Buy. And soon--mark my words--I shall have it.

Tonight:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - and I thoroughly enjoyed it, for so many reasons. Johnny Depp continues to amaze me.

And I couldn't choose just one quote:

"This is a set-up. This smells like a set-up."

"Okay. I'm going to freak right out."

Did you get the 2-disc special edition DVD?
I did.

It's the Director's Cut, so there's about twenty extra minutes of stuff in there, most of which I felt could have [and should have] been left out. But I'm not complaining. It's still a freakin' masterpiece in so many senses of the word.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I saw:

Bringing up Baby: (First time)
Actually, when the movie started out, I was quite annoyed with Kate's character. But as the movie went on, I liked her more and more, and, by the end, I loved her. Much like Cary Grant. A GREAT movie.

Panic Room: (First time)
Fincher proves, yet again, the be a masterful director. The film was suspenseful, we directed, well acted, well paced....heck, it was just a really well made film. I loved it. Although not quite as good as Se7en or Fight Club (but close), it further solidifies Fincher as one of my favorite directors and Forest Whitaker as one of my favorite actors.

Mulholland Drive :: very cool
Snatch :: meh
The Pianist :: excellent
Just Married :: oh my god, i dont know how this even got in here! , needless to say, it was TERRIBLE

Dancer in the Dark ***.5
Snatch ***
The Pianist ****

***The Thing***

(John Carpenters) A truely brilliant film. Unlike so many other horrors this one actual uses some intelligent script and plot writing. High amongst my favourite movies I cannot reccomend this more then any other horror movie or in any other genre for that matter. Kurt Russel is in one of his better performances here and the other actors also perform great in their respective roles. The film actually keeps you guessing on what is going to happen and some of the scene's make you really open your eyes. I also like the subtly comedy in places that still enables the characters to act as expected under the circumstances.

Greased Lightning

An O.K film. Of note to those interested in a morallistic side of racism but far from the finest that is on offer. Acting and scenary are average but not cringe worthy. Not a film I'm likely to go out of my way to watch again but one I would watch if there was nothing else more favourable to my tastes. ~C~

North by Northwest
"Something wrong with your eyes?"
"Yes, they're sensitive to questions."
1959 | Alfred Hitchcock
A++

I haven't posted movies her in so long... *looks around wistfully*

Clue
"And monkey's brains, although popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often found in Washington, D.C."

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
"Side? I'm on nobody's side, because nobody's on my side."

Spiderman
"This story, like any other story worth telling, is about a girl. That girl. Mary-Jane Watson. The girl I've loved since before I even liked girls."

Final Destiantion 2
(GAH! Low on sleep. Can't think of a quote.)

Being John Malkovich
"Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich." (I know I've used this quote before, but I can't help but use it when I picture John Malkovitch in a dress. )

The Usual Suspects
"I mean, like, orka fat."

Arsenic and Old Lace
"He looked so peaceful when he was dead." (I think that's how it goes...)

My Fair Lady

Originally Posted by Gracie
Clue
"And monkey's brains, although popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often found in Washington, D.C."
That was an anarchic film and I loved it.

Deadly Friend

Hahahahahaha. This is suppposed to be a horror film from the maestro Wes Craven. Anyone who dislikes Kristy Swanson will like some of this. She's maybe in it but........
The deaths scenes though a little unrealistic were certainly different. Robbie the Robot has some competition. ~ C- ~

Cat's Eyes

Disjointed but this trilogy of plots is interesting. For once the best part is saved 'til last. ~ C+ ~

there's a frog in my snake oil
Erm, Mission Impossible 2 (how embarressed am i after some of the great films mentioned recently?!) - thought John Woo did his visual-cracking thing - and that for a piece of brain-fluff the Genetic-engineering aspects combined with potential future amoral business spin-offs was a nice little projection to build the bicep-flexing around.

Erm C + **

Put me in your pocket...
The Horseman on the Roof (1995)
With Juliette Binoche and Olivier Martinez...beautiful people, intriguing story, romance and honor...I loved it.

The Spitfire Grill (1996)
A really good tear jerker. I loved it.

Originally Posted by Aniko
The Horseman on the Roof (1995)
With Juliette Binoche and Olivier Martinez...beautiful people, intriguing story, romance and honor...I loved it.
And such a great ending, too. I need to rent that again.

Tonight, I finally watched Frantic.

I'll say, "Eh." If I'd wanted to watch a Hitchcock film, I'd have watched a Hitchcock film. Polanski's good, but this was just okay.

"Has everyone else had their wife kidnapped?"

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Underworld-(First time) I was a little worried when walking into the theater, as th reviews have been very mixed, but I found that it was a very entertaining movie. It was a popcorn movie, and, as with most popcorn movies, had some major errors, but I'd say it was a good movie. I was pleased.

~The Substitute~

A**Kicking teacher teaches drug dealers a lesson. This film was a lot of fun. Thankfully it didn't go too deep into smarm and stayed focused on the plot and action. If all teachers were like 'Smith' then school would have been a heck of a lot more interesting then it was. A film that entertains. ~B~

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
1966 | Sergio Leone
A++

The thing I hated most about Bernardo Bertolucci's Novecento was the dubbing of the English actors into Italian, knowing full well that had it been an English version, the Italian actors would have also been dubbed, into English.

At the start of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I could feel myself, again, getting slightly annoyed by a "technique" that obviously plagued Italian cinema, or at least some of it, for some time. Luckily, the story and the characters, unlike in the Bertolucci film, are enough to slowly but surely distract you [fully at times] from the mess of mismatched lips and voices.

The three lead performances, especially [of course] that of Eli Wallach as Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, are perfect, and the music is the best you'll ever get, bar that of Bernard Hermann in North by Northwest.

Matchstick Men - very cool. NIcolas Cage is very funny in it.

Cold Creek Manor - don't waste your time or money. Just go watch either the Shining or Cape Fear and you'll have a better time. Becasue this movie basically just ripped them off, plus it just was boring.

Bandits
"Do you smell burning feathers?"
2001 | Barry Levinson
C+

I'd like to give it higher, if only for the inspired performance of Billy Bob Thornton, but it just didn't get there, and it bored me.

On the up side, I thought Bandits had one of the best trailers in the last couple of years. Sad to think a film can be surpassed by its own trailer.