Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Tools    

Leaving aside that getting good performances out of actors is clearly part of being a good director, I think he's above-average anyway. And more importantly, I think he's a significantly above-average writer, which is the one thing you omitted.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
What Yoda said. You may not enjoy his style, but hack, no way. I can't wait to see Miho again and some of the new cast is pretty intriguing.

Must be doin sumthin right
Lol what evidence is there that says RR is an above average writer? Agreed he has talent and I do like From Dusk til Dawn and Sin City but man he's gotten so lazy. My favorite thing he's done is his Four Rooms segment, honestly, and even that owes a lot to Banderas goofiness.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The man writes, shoots, edits his own films. He has talent.

Suspect's Reviews

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I still need to watch the first Sin City movie. I've been meaning to, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I like Robert Rodriguez. Not a whole lot, but I like him.

I liked the first three Spy Kids movies when I was younger, (and I still think they're imaginative movies) and I enjoyed Desperado, Machete, and The Faculty. I didn't much care for Spy Kids 4, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, or Planet Terror, mind you.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first SIN CITY, but I'll have to give this one a look as it does look to be pretty good thus far.

Looking forward to this big time. Mickey Rourkes Marv was the best performance of a comic book character, right up there with Downey Jrs Tony Stark. As Sleezy said in his Recasting the X-Men thread, he'd also be a great great Sabretooth. The guy can play a goon with his eyes closed, and its always a mind blowing performance.

I have seen some of the movie, my dad's a post production artist for Robert's movies. There is no Johnny Depp and Robert wasn't thinking about it in 2009. It will be out in August and will have no direction by Miller. My dad, who is currently working on it, says it's going to be very different from the first.

The man writes, shoots, edits his own films. He has talent.
I'll let you in on something---Robert doesn't do any post production work like editing. He steps into a post production studio, looks at the film, and puts his name on the credits. And he's a horrible writer. A decade ago he and Tarantino were good friends. Noaw compare the screenplay from Django to the screenplay for Machete Kills.
As a film student and someone who has known inside information about Robert and his filming for 15 years I know he is not a talented filmmaker. My dad works for him but even agrees.

I have seen some of the movie, my dad's a post production artist for Robert's movies. There is no Johnny Depp and Robert wasn't thinking about it in 2009. It will be out in August and will have no direction by Miller. My dad, who is currently working on it, says it's going to be very different from the first.

I'll let you in on something---Robert doesn't do any post production work like editing. He steps into a post production studio, looks at the film, and puts his name on the credits. And he's a horrible writer. A decade ago he and Tarantino were good friends. Noaw compare the screenplay from Django to the screenplay for Machete Kills.
As a film student and someone who has known inside information about Robert and his filming for 15 years I know he is not a talented filmmaker. My dad works for him but even agrees.
Well maybe youre the real McCoy or a cinema faccianado, Idk I do know Rodriguez would have to work hard to screw this project up. Like the first film its based of a comic book, and RR matched it frame per panel. I doubt he's going to go away from the original source material so he should be ok.

Robert is at best a hack filmmaker, who relies exclusively on the talent of his actors to bring anything respectable to his films.

Not to say Robert is without talent. He is a middling musician, a middling cinematographer, and a middling director. But for any for his films to stand out (most are dismal rubbish) he needs really great performances from his cast. Good luck to him. He needs it.
Bahahahaha.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Well maybe youre the real McCoy or a cinema faccianado, Idk I do know Rodriguez would have to work hard to screw this project up. Like the first film its based of a comic book, and RR matched it frame per panel. I doubt he's going to go away from the original source material so he should be ok.
Robert has screwed every project up he's done in the last decade.
I've seen actual footage of this film; it's going to be much different from the first.
Robert is known to be extremely inconsistent with his work.

First FULL LENGTH Trailer is out!

I'm still not really sure what all the stories are precisely going to be and how it will fit in the context of the first film, but it seems like it will be pumping with adrenalin just as much as the first one.

Thoughts?

I havent read the comics, but from what I heard all of the stories take place before the last movie.

Remember in the first flick when Drew (Clive Owens) walks into the bar, and the waitress says "I like your new face!" That will be explained in the sequel.

I havent read the comics, but from what I heard all of the stories take place before the last movie.

Remember in the first flick when Drew (Clive Owens) walks into the bar, and the waitress says "I like your new face!" That will be explained in the sequel.
Josh Brolin seems to be playing Clive Owen's character (Dwight) in the first film, probably before his face operation, and Marv's story should logically also be situated before his adventures in the last film. Nancy's story seems to be placed after Hartigan's death, though...

Eva Green's character seems to be part of Dwight's story and I'm still not sure how Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character comes into the picture.

@Swan: I agree. She's has the perfect looks to play a Femme Fatale!