Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Expendables (2010)

I know the third movie is coming out in August, but I'm just now seeing the first one. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Action is the only thing that really matters here, what with the flimsy setup to take out a bad guy general and the bad-guy-in-a-suit who really runs things (played by Eric Roberts). As the poster shows, there are quite a few well-known supporting players making up Stallone's squad. Willis is the CIA honcho who hires Stallone and co. for the gig, and Rourke is the zen-type tattoo artist who gives advice (of a sort) but doesn't go into battle with the gang. Lots of good action, and Stallone isn't afraid to show that he's aging and can't quite handle every big baddie that he has to fight. This one has just got me enthused for the next two.

I wasn't a big fan of the first Expendables, but I really enjoyed the sequel, primarily because of Van-Damme.

Judging by the trailer for the third one, Stallone is already running out of action heroes to throw into the movie. I mean, Kelsey Grammar? Did I miss the decade where Frasier was a gun-toting, muscled-up vigilante?

Silent Running (1972)

I didn't see anything wrong with this movie, and I like Bruce Dern. I just don't usually like movies set in space. Unfortunately, this wasn't an exception.

Minnie and Moskowitz (1971)

It has it's moments and does a decent job of blending comedy and drama. My problem with it was that I found the two main characters to be more annoying than interesting. With the whole movie being about their relationship, that limited how much I could enjoy this film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Minnie and Moskowitz (1971)
My problem with it was that I found the two main characters to be more annoying than interesting.
My reaction to all Cassavetes movies, but I thought this one was more likable than most.

My reaction to all Cassavetes movies, but I thought this one was more likable than most.
I know he didn't direct it, but what did you think of Mikey and Nicky?

The Hunt by Thomas Vinterberg

-W.O.W. A Masterpiece imo . incredible performance by Mads Mikkelsen and one of my first Denmark movie . I'm very surprise with this flick and look forward to look others Mads Mikkelsen movie .
9.3/10

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I went and watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. There's a longer review in the signature, if not, it's fine, I'll post it up on here when I get a chance. Here's my conclusion:

It is films like Days of Future Past that truly shows what superhero movies are meant to be. It isn't as simple as a mutant going back in time to stop a couple of robots, but something with a lot more depth than that. The X-Men movies have always had subtexts about equality, and inspiration taken from actual events in history, but it has never been stronger in this film.

Godzilla 2014

I have never watched the 50's versions of Godzilla but I had seen the 1998 version which I thought was ok. I actually preferred the 1998 version of Godzilla over the original as I thought it put a modern twist on the franchise. I did however like how hey kept it nostalgic with his creation with the sound and design the 1998 one is just my preference. Visually this movies was pretty good with a lot of detail going into Godzilla. The story was good as well although I thought it did drag in some parts. I also liked that they didn't put too much American spin on a Japanese creation and placed some of the story in Japan.

Overall I would recommend watching this as it hold ups to blockbusters coming out this year.

4/5 Stars

X-Men: Days of the Future Past. Surprisingly, the story line had real twists to it and was full of substance; had gone to watch it expecting lots of action sequences and I wasn't disappointed. But the intricate details of the story had me riveted throughout and the movie is what you would call a complete package. Just one complaint though: Halle Berry has hardly any role.. Just a bit in the beginning and then in the Sentinel fight sequence in the end. Badly wanted to see more of her

My rating for X-Men: Days of the Future Past ===> 4/5

█ █ █ █ █
Le Notti di Cabiria

From halfway on, i was all tears, but also happy, after all.

The Hunt by Thomas Vinterberg

-W.O.W. A Masterpiece imo . incredible performance by Mads Mikkelsen and one of my first Denmark movie . I'm very surprise with this flick and look forward to look others Mads Mikkelsen movie .
9.3/10
Yes, this is a very good film. If you haven't already done so I can strongly recommend you give Festen (The celebration) your consideration. It's a dogme classic, which might be a little off-putting at first; it has the feel of a home video, though in my opinion that gives it an edge. It's by the same director, Thomas Vinterberg, and deals with similar themes.

The Trip to Italy (2014). As a UK viewer I got an opportunity to see this in its feature form. Its actual format is a six episode TV series, following on from 2010's The Trip. The rest of the world will only see this as a feature, which I suspect will lose some of its weight. It's basically two comdeians, Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon going on a trip to review restaurants whilst goading each other with who-can-do-the-best-impression-of-Al Pacino, Michael Caine, Christian Bale etc. There's also some darker elements at play, with discussions about growing older and being overlooked by the opposite sex.

It's very funny, very English, and strangely comforting. I honestly don't know how viewers outside the UK will be able to fully appreciate this because some of the references are distinctly British (impressions of Michael Parkinson or Ronnie Corbett won't resonate much beyond this sceptred isle).

8/10

Opening Night (1977)

This was excruciatingly slow and I'm quickly getting tired of Gena Rowlands playing a character who is off in some way. I really like John Cassavetes as an actor, but as a director, a mixed bag.