Music's just right...

Tools    

What movie has the perfect soundtrack? I don't mean scores, but music made by groups, bands, or singers. I'll start the thread with my vote for...

The Royal Tenenbaums

This is one of the many reasons I love this movie so much. When there are poignant moments in the film, or spots where the mood has to be played out for our ears, the songs picked out by Wes Anderson couldn't be more perfect. The songs are what make up some of my favorite moments in the film. For example; when Margo gets off the Greenline bus in slow motion, or when Richie does the deed in the bathroom. Without the songs, I don't know how moved I would have been.

So list a movie that you feel has just the right sound, and tell us why.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

There are a few that stand out as having ridiculously fitting themes:
  • Star Wars
  • Unbreakable
  • Signs
  • Ocean's Eleven
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  • E.T.
There are more...but those ones stand out to me right away as being particularly fitting. While Ocean's Eleven isn't the best...it might be the best-suited to the flick of all those above.

The Fat of the Mailbox
Train Spotting

A Life Less Ordinary

Clockwork Orange

Blue Velvet (I say this becasue I love the Roy Orbitson (sp?) song, 'In Dreams', and it goes so well with the movie)

Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas

Originally posted by Yoda
There are a few that stand out as having ridiculously fitting themes:
  • Star Wars
  • Unbreakable
  • Signs
  • Ocean's Eleven
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  • E.T.
There are more...but those ones stand out to me right away as being particularly fitting. While Ocean's Eleven isn't the best...it might be the best-suited to the flick of all those above.
Good list of movies with great scores, but that's not what I meant...

The Fat of the Mailbox
what did you mean then? hmm?

The Fat of the Mailbox
me nither

I know, I know...I'm a boring individual.

If only I had been more specific... A (I mean A movie with non-score type music...)

GoodFellas (1990)

Could have picked virtually any Scorsese movie, as for me he is the undisputied master of soundtrack selection. GoodFellas is chock-full of great examples.

Tony Bennet's rendition of "Rags to Riches" that rolls under the opening credits and then the blue-eyed young Henry watching the cab stand across the street after the immortal line "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster...." is absolutely perfect. Limitless choices - just about all of Sinatra's Capitol catalogue might have worked, but "Rags to Riches" is dead on, encapsulating the narrative we are about to witness...as well as a comic counterpoint to what we just saw Tommy and Jimmy do in the trunk of Henry's car.

Scorsese loves to help define period with period music, and the use of The Cadillacs' "Speedo", Johnny Mathis' "It's Not for Me to Say" and The Shangri-Las' "Leader of the Pack" and "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" among many others do this impeccably.

But some of Scorsese's most brilliant use of popular music is in juxtapositioning it with the action on the screen. One of my absolute favorite examples of this is Donovan's wistful "Atlantis" on the jukebox as Tommy and Jimmy suddenly and brutally beat Billy Batts within an inch of his life. Wonderful. Another magic use of a track is the pretty piano break from Derek & the Dominoes' "Layla" as we see the carnage left in the wake of Jimmy's paranoia and unwilingness to share after the historic Luftansa heist. Also gotta mention The Drifters' "The Bells of St. Mary's" playing softly as Tommy whacks-out Stacks in slow-motion.

During Henry's final manic day of freedom among pasta sauce, cocaine, guns and helicopters, the brilliant kinetic editing is fueled in part by alternating Harry Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire", The Who's "Magic Bus", Geroge Harrison's "What is Life?" and The Rolling Stones' "Monkey Man". Fan-frippin'-tastic stuff.

And then like the Tony Bennet crooning that opens the picture representing the romance and nostalgia of the Mafia from afar, another perfect musical summation ends it: Sid Vicious' wailing version of "My Way", as the rat Henry Hill laments about being an anonymous shnook in some suburban Witness Protection Program Limbo where he can't even get a decent red sauce with his pasta (and the comic CODA image of Tommy in pinstripes firing into the camera ala Edwin S. Porter's The Great Train Robbery). The romance has been stripped away from that boy's blue eyes, just as Vicious' cacophony strips away the memory of Frank Sinatra's anthem.

Fu*ckin' brilliant.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I was going to say GoodFellas, Pulp Fiction and Almost Famous, the latter of which I think is truly astounding.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
I think "Grosse Point Blank" has a particulary apt 80`s soundtrack that fits in really well with the tone and theme of the movie.

A novel adaptation.
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
... and Almost Famous, the latter of which I think is truly astounding.

It's unfair to say that, though. Crowe jus took the hits, and personal favorites from the generation the movie spanned. None of the music fit the film espescially well, and.... and...

Well, good soundtrack selection if you plan on using contemporary music, is to take songs that fit the movie amazingly well, or truly fantastic songs that few have heard. If it fits into neither of these, I refuse to give any credit to the filmmaker.

He got me with Tiny Dancer, though... He nailed both categories with that one.

Oh god I hate Cameron Crowe, I don't even know why.

Put me in your pocket...
I'm a huge fan of the old musicals...their songs would count wouldn't they? ^_^;;;

The Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, Gigi, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, West Side Story.....I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you.

These movies also had great songs....

Shrek

The Austin Powers Series

Tarzan (Disneys' Version)

Some of the James Bond Opening Songs (I'm too tired right now to pull them out of my head)

Is this what you were looking for LordSlaytan?