Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Lorax (2012) Zac Efron is miscast and his character doesn't act or sound like a 12 year old. The story is alright, but they could have done more with it. I liked the colourful animation and some of the cute characters. The songs were hit and miss with Let It Grow being the best one.

Umpteenth Rewatch...Joyous and emotionally charged rendering of the 1964 Broadway musical about a milkman with five daughters who finds his life and faith challenged at every turn thanks to the realities of life around him and the realities of his daughters quietly becoming women without him noticing. Probably in my top five of best Broadway musical transfers to the big screen, this big screen adaptation spares no expense in bringing this story to the screen, minimal tampering with the classic score by Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, and a breathtaking performance by Topol as Tevye, that earned the film one of its eight Oscar nominations. And you can't beat that score..."If I Were a Rich Man", "Tradition", "Matchmaker, Matchmaker", "Sunrise Sunset", "Do You Love Me", and "To Life". This film somehow improves just a bit with each viewing.

Last thing I watched was a nine part documentary I just started to view again for the umpteenth time: The Civil War by Ken Burns. Easily one of the 5 greatest docs I've ever seen. Ken Burns is a master of the documentary drama and this one leaves you breathless.

2nd Rewatch...Quentin Tarantino hits the bullseye with this frighteningly on-target recreation of Hollywood in the late 60's centered around a television actor named Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) who is panicked because he thinks his career is circling and the drain, and his BFF and stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt), who is a lot more accepting of his fading career, not to mention Rick's fascination with his new neighbors, Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate. This is a pretty seamless blend of fact and fiction from the 60's that collide abruptly and are unapologetic in the way the constantly dodge each other. DiCaprio has rarely been better and Pitt's breezy performance as Cliff won him the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Also loved Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate, Timothy Olyphant as James Stace, Emile Hirsch as Jay Sebring, Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen, Kurt Russell as Randy Miller, and Michael Moh as Bruce Lee.
I really liked this flik too. There are some really brilliant one-liners "don't cry in front of the Mexicans Rick". It captured the zeitgeist well. Thought Brad Pitt was excellent as the jaded, laid back former stunt man. His performance as easy go lucky Cliff was a good counterpoise to Leo's neurotic Rick. Margot Robbie is utterly charming in this too. A good part for Emile Hircsh too, wish he'd get these roles more often as Alpha Dog and Into the Wild clearly show he is a very talented actor.

The Crawling Hand - 1963 scifi/horror directed by Herbert L. Strock (I Was a Teenage Frankenstein) and starring Peter Breck, Rod Lauren and Alan Hale Jr. An astronaut, believed dead after running out of oxygen, contacts ground control and rants about something having taken over his body. This is indicated by a wicked case of raccoon eyes. He convinces ground control to blow up his capsule but his arm somehow ends up on a California beach where it's discovered by a teenage couple.

I watched this like a week ago and I'm having trouble remembering all but the basic story outline. It's egregiously low budget of course and the hand being a rambling kind of appendage does the hand version of tiptoeing around while looking for it's next victim. It's preferred method of killing being strangulation it has to wait for the exact moment when a throat presents itself. There's a surprising number of these moments. Carpe Diem? More like Carpe Faucium. Anyway, the teenage guy who secretly took the hand home to his rooming house finally realizes that it's much too dangerous to have around so he attempts to destroy it.

The cast is earnest in their efforts so that's worth some points. There's an open ended closing shot which threatens a sequel but it's been over 60 years and counting so I don't think it's happening. There's no shame in watching this just to be able to say you did. People do it all the time, especially when engaging in movie related discussions.

50/100

1917 (2019)

First time rewatching this, and I was a little surprised I remembered barely anything from seeing it originally. I think that speaks to my original opinion (same score of 4), in that its a good war movie but not a great one.

I really liked this flik too. There are some really brilliant one-liners "don't cry in front of the Mexicans Rick". It captured the zeitgeist well. Thought Brad Pitt was excellent as the jaded, laid back former stunt man. His performance as easy go lucky Cliff was a good counterpoise to Leo's neurotic Rick. Margot Robbie is utterly charming in this too. A good part for Emile Hircsh too, wish he'd get these roles more often as Alpha Dog and Into the Wild clearly show he is a very talented actor.
Wow can’t believe you mentioned Alpha Dog because I thought Hirsch was the weakest part of that movie