JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
You are probably just a bit burned out, so it will be so much better when all-re-energized, your reviews will be even better. Looking forward to it.
Don't say that!!! I don't need the extra pressure of you expecting better on my back!

But seriously thanks. And thanks to all the people who repped V for Vendetta. Was a very nice surprise a few days ago to come on and see that overnight the rep had jumped from 4 up to 10. Even if there's some pity rep in there I don't care!

Oh and I just updated my reviews index on the first page so may as well post it here as well. Let people see if they've missed anything

A
All the President's Men -

The Amazing Spider-Man -
+

An American Werewolf in London -

The Andromeda Strain -
-
The Assassination of Jesse James... -
-

Assault on Precinct 13 -

The Avengers -

B
The Beguiled -
+
Black Swan -
++
The Boys from Brazil -
+
The Bridge on the River Kwai -
++

Broadcast News-
+
Bullitt -
-

C
The Candidate -
+

Capricorn One -

Charley Varrick -
++
The China Syndrome -

Coma -
+
The Conversation -
+
Coogan's Bluff -
+

D
The Day of the Jackal -
+
Dead Ringers -

Deliverance -

Dirty Harry -
-
Disturbia -
+

Dog Day Afternoon -
-
Dreamscape -

Duel -
++

E
The Eiger Sanction -
-

The Enforcer -
++
Escape from Alcatraz -

F
Franklyn -

Frenzy -

G
The Game -
-
The Gauntlet -

Glengarry Glen Ross -
+
The Green Lantern -
+

The Grifters -

H
Half Nelson -

Hedwig and the Angry Inch -

The Help -
-
Hopscotch -

I
The Ides of March -
+
In the Heat of the Night -
+
In the Line of Fire -
+
The Incredible Hulk -
++
J
Jeremiah Johnson -

Joe -
+

L
Lars and the Real Girl -
+

The Last of Sheila -

M
Magic -
++

Magnum Force -

The Manchurian Candidate -

Midnight Cowboy -

Mr Deeds Goes to Town -

The Muppets -

My Week With Marilyn -
++

The Mysterians -

N
No Country for Old Men -

No Way Out -

O
The Omega Man -
+

P
The Parallax View -
++

A Perfect World -
+

Play Misty for Me -
++

Pleasantville -

Point Blank -
-

The Prince and the Showgirl -

R
Rashomon -
+

Rear Window -
-

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -

S
Save the Green Planet -
+

The Silent Flute -

The Silent Partner -

Sleuth -
+

Some Like it Hot -
++

Sonatine -

Spy Game -
+

The Stepford Wives -
+

Sullivan's Travels -
++

T
Take Shelter -
+

There Will Be Blood -

Thor -
++

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot -
++

Three Days of the Condor -
++
Throne of Blood -

Tightrope -
+

U
Unforgiven -

V
V for Vendetta -
+

W
The Warriors -
++
Water for Elephants -
+
We Need to Talk About Kevin -

X
X-Men: First Class -

One that you could do for me is John Carter

I watched it for the 4th time yesterday I have decided it could become a cult B grade movie in the future I like a bit of cheese a huge fan of Flash

Now I have read your list forget it Because you are................

BURNT OUT

Well I tell you what Nebbit, seeing as it's you I will get around to watching and reviewing it at some point. But just because it's you you understand!

I actually did kind of fancy watching it, and I do enjoy a good dollop of cheese!

I watched it for the 4th time yesterday
Wow, I think that means that about 12% of all John Carter's viewings are as a result of you!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I liked V For Vendetta a lot when I was a kid, Hugo Weaving is great in it, and so is Natalie Portman, which should be recommendation enough.

Seriously, a bit belated, but add me to the group of those saddened about your break from reviews. Disillusionment and self-depracating are two of my most constant feelings when writing my reviews, so I have something of an understanding to how you feel about your whole situation.

Seriously, a bit belated, but add me to the group of those saddened about your break from reviews. Disillusionment and self-depracating are two of my most constant feelings when writing my reviews, so I have something of an understanding to how you feel about your whole situation.
Thanks you very much. I'm touched by how many fans I see to have. I will be returning to them at some point I promise. And it's nice to have a kindred spirit in terms of questioning and undermining one's self.

I liked V For Vendetta a lot when I was a kid
Way to make me feel really old at just 25! You should not be able to talk about being a kid with a film that only came out in 2006!!! How dare you!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Rian Johnson

Written by
Rian Johnson

Starring
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Bruce Willis
Emily Blunt
Jeff Daniels
Paul Dano

Looper

WARNING - Some very slight spoilers ahead.

Plot – In the year 2044 a special group of individuals exist who go by the name of 'loopers'. These men are in the employ of the mob. In 2074 time travel has been invented but is immediately made illegal, with only crime organisations having means to use it. They do so by sending people they want eliminated back in time to the loopers who make them disappear. They do this until their future selves are sent back and they kill themselves in an act called 'closing the loop'. Joe Simmons (Gordon-Levitt) is one of these loopers, and one day his future self (Bruce Willis) is returned but is able to escape. A large hunt begins to catch and dispose of both the young and old versions of Joe. Young Joe is determined to catch his older self, while Old Joe has a quest of his own.

Is it possible to really like a film and give it a highly respectable score, and yet still be rather disappointed by it? Just I feel really quite torn about this film. I went in with exceptionally high expectations, perhaps too high to realistically be matched, and just felt that they weren't met. I'd say a large degree of that is down to the fact the film isn't quite what I expected based on what I knew of it and the promotions for it. I was expecting an intelligent but action packed sci-fi thriller. And for a while that's exactly what I got, but then it takes a turn into something I wasn't really expecting. But I'll get to that later.

It's certainly a fairly intelligent and logical film, keeping within the logic it creates for itself; I mean yes in a film of this type you are always going to be able to find little plot holes and logic flaws if you really look hard enough. And Rian Johnson is up front about this with a confession of sorts when Bruce Willis decrees that he doesn't want to discuss this time travel nonsense because he'll end up with a headache and they'll be there all day drawing diagrams to work it out. And Jeff Daniels' character joins in by stating he doesn't want to talk about it because “This time travel crap fries your brain like an egg.” One thing I did really admire and enjoy was the fact that the world the film it is set in is a very well realised and fleshed out world. A world with its own lexicon ('loopers', 'closing the loop' etc), modes of transport (hoverbikes), drug culture (an eyedropper narcotic) and weaponry (the brutal, retro looking blunderbuss). And then there's the fact that 10% of the population have developed telekinetic powers.

While the film does feel very fresh and inventive there is no question of it being completely original. In particular it feels very much in the same territory as the likes of the first Terminator and another Bruce Willis flick, Twelve Monkeys. While it may be a sci-fi, time travel flick it's not of the fantastical nature, it's much more of the gritty and grimy type. In many ways it's actually another film noir from the team of Johnson and Levitt (who made previous noir film, Brick) just with a large dose of science fiction thrown into the mix.

If you're looking for an action spectacular then you may very well be disappointed. You don't get the the big stunts or numerous explosions that populate most blockbusters. A lot of this is down to the film having a degree of being grounded in reality. As a result the power of the action scenes comes as a result of the acting, and there is a great shootout scene where it's the fury within Bruce Willis' Joe that propels it to a thrilling place. That's not to say the film doesn't have some noteworthy moments which capture your attention and inflame the imagination. There is a quite astonishing scene were a character on the run is methodically erased in stages as his younger self is tortured. First his fingers begin to vanish, then facial features and finally his limbs. Now we never actually see anything in terms of them being ripped away in a gory fashion or anything like that, but it doesn't make it any less disturbing. Even if the logic of the moment is somewhat suspect when you reflect on it later.

Like a few films in recent years, Looper feels very much influenced by the global recession and its fallout. As Levitt and Paul Dano (a fellow Looper) drive through the city we clearly see that the streets and its people have been ravaged by poverty, and this has created a dog eat dog mentality among the people. And as cynical people will tell you is the reality for our world as well, the only people who seem to be prospering in this world are those of low morals. And in particular the idea of Emily Blunt's character having to protect her farm property with a shotgun from vagrants feels very much like something from the time of the Depression.

As for the performances of the cast I have no complaints, they are all very strong. Joseph Gordon Levitt continues to impress and cement his place as one of Hollywood's hottest talents of the moment, and one of my personal favourites. He is just so ineffably cool, seemingly relishing his dark character who attempts to find redemption towards the film's close. Willis, someone I've always been a big fan of anyway, really brought the goods in my opinion. He has some instances were he is just completely kick-ass, but for the most part he drops the wink and the smile that he often displays and instead brings out the sad, wistful nature which he is really quite good at. It's just a shame that JGL and Willis don't have more screen time together. For the most part it's just one scene which plays into the generational divide, even if it's the same character! Old Joe sees Young Joe as an idiot, and the feeling is pretty mutual. Playing rather against type both Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels give great support. Daniels in particular seems to be having a ball in a rare outing as a villain. Oh and while his role is disappointingly small, I was once again left impressed by Paul Dano as Seth, a fellow looper.

Now we get to what I alluded to in my opening paragraph. I have to admit I'm just not entirely sure what to make of the film's third act. When Levitt's Joe arrives at the farmhouse of Emily Blunt; in addition to the pace slowing, all of a sudden the story of Levitt and Willis feels like it is somewhat shelved in favour of the tale of a mother trying to protect and raise her son. In particular Bruce Willis feels terrifically underused for this rather large portion of the film. It's also here that one of my major hang-ups about the film rears its head. After only being mentioned very briefly near the beginning of the film, the idea of telekinesis comes to great prominence in the plot. The whole concept of it just felt like a bit of a cheat to me. I went with the time travel element as it felt like they had laid out a logic for it, but the telekinesis angle just felt tossed in without reason and was illogical to this world. It felt a bit cheap to me. In that sense it reminded me a bit of The Prestige resorting to a place of pure sci-fi to tell its story (at least that's how I remember it, only seen it once a good few years ago now so may be remembering it wrong). And it was never even explained; are we just to assume it's the next step in human evolution? Despite all of those complaints it's tough for me to complain all that much about it as in it's own way it does feel natural and necessary to the story.

Conclusion – Back at the start I wondered whether it was possible to really like a film and yet still be disappointed by it. Well it would appear so. A lot of that is definitely down to the direction the story takes which caught me off guard. I just didn't grab onto the secondary plotline with as much interest as the original looper storyline of JGL v Bruce Willis. Perhaps when I return to the film and know what is coming I will find a more satisfying over-all result. I get the feeling it might be a film that rewards on a second viewing, and I certainly hope so.

Thanks mate. Not sure when I'll try and return full time, but for the moment every now and then I'll pop up with one. Either because I try and write something short and it just spirals like V for Vendetta, or because I see something which just sparks a lot of points in my mind I'd like to make such as Looper.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Barry Levinson

Written by
Ronald Bass
Barry Morrow

Starring
Dustin Hoffman
Tom Cruise
Valeria Golino
Jerry Molen

Rain Man

++

Plot – Charlie Babbitt (Cruise) is a struggling car dealer whose business is under threat. Hope for him and his business comes in the unlikely form of his father's death. Despite being estranged from him, Charlie still believes he should benefit from his father's inheritance which totals $3 million. He is stunned however to find that all he has been left is an old car, while every penny has been left to an unnamed beneficiary, who turns out to be Raymond Babbitt (Hoffman) an autistic brother he never knew he had. In a bid to gain what he believes is his fair share of half the inheritance, Charlie removes Raymond from the mental institution in a form of kidnapping. Needing to make it back to Los Angeles the two become unlikely travel mates, and over time a relationship begins to develop and Charlie find himself changed by the experience.

Finally got around to watching this film, and what I found was a terrifically charming and surprisingly amusing film propelled along by two terrific performances. There are two elements without which the film would fall down; the writing and the actors. I say this because in many ways there isn't a lot to this film, there isn't a great deal that happens in terms of big plot points. It's quite a small personal tale of two characters and the effect that one of them has on the life of the other. So the writing and performances have to be of high calibre to keep our interest piqued throughout. And both succeed with flying colours. The script is highly impressive, mining the premise both for laughs and for the great heart of the story. And while I don't have the experience to say for definite, it certainly feels like the script was well researched on the subject of autism and as a result it feels realistic and respectful.

However even a wonderful script would have been completely wasted if it didn't have the performances to back it up, particularly in the potentially tricky role of the autistic Raymond. And Hoffman is phenomenal in the role of the autistic Raymond Babbitt, completely inhabiting the character. It really is amazing; after a while I kind of forgot I was even watching a 'performance'. Indeed if you were to show this film to someone who was unfamiliar with Hoffman, it would probably be quite easy to convince them that the makers of the film had hired someone with an actual mental disorder. He's that good. However almost due as much credit is Tom Cruise as Raymond's selfish brother Charlie. I think this is the kind of role where Cruise is very good. With his pretty boy good looks, cheesy grin and apparently large degree of self confidence I think he is quite easy to dislike. So this kind of role where he plays a sleazy douchebag fits nicely. His character arc in many ways is what makes the film, and he pulls it off admirably. The film is actually pretty damn close to being a two hander, with only one or two other characters given anything more than mere seconds of screen time. Valeriea Gorino however is able to provide quite a sexy spark as Charlie's girlfriend of a sort.

I also admired the fact that the film doesn't go for a cheap happy ending. Instead we get a bittersweet ending; the kind of ending that needs to happen. Raymond's autism means that he can't really have a character arc, he has to be the same at the end of the film as the start. We may be desperate for him to acknowledge Charlie in some kind of way; we want him to give him a hug, we want him to wave from the window, hell we just want him to look up from his beloved TV shows long enough to glance at Charlie. But he doesn't. And that's the right way to end the film.

I was also surprised by just how funny I found the film to be. Thankfully it doesn't really try to mine any humour at the expense of Raymond and his condition. The laughs come from just the things that Raymond says which are just naturally funny, but for the most part it comes from Charlie's incredible frustration at Raymond's behaviour. Speaking of Charlie's frustration, one other thing the film really did was make me appreciate even more the incredible efforts and sacrifices people have to make in terms of having contact with people like Raymond. So the patience that families have for people with mental difficulties must be incredible. And as for people who choose to dedicate their lives to working with people like Raymond – what an amazing decision to make.

A couple of other things just quickly. As it plays out as a classic road movie for most of the time Levinson is able to capture some beautiful scenery as the characters cross America. And I loved Hans Zimmer's rather quirky score. Oh and the film also attempts to find an answer to that question that has eternally puzzled mankind - “Who exactly is on first base?”

Conclusion – This is a phenomenally well acted film about a potentially dangerous subject that is able to avoid the numerous pitfalls it could have fallen into and emerges as a funny, touching and occasionally heartbreaking piece of drama. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to see it. And if anyone else is like me and is putting off watching it, I would tell you to wait no more.

I just love to see that Save the Green Planet! is the highest rated movie in this thread. I also recommend that you do a review for Memories of Murder, one of Tarantino's favourite movies (and one of mine as well).

Glad you liked Rain Man... I remember saying you hadn't seen it.

You made a better review of it than I did though!

I just love to see that Save the Green Planet! is the highest rated movie in this thread. I also recommend that you do a review for Memories of Murder, one of Tarantino's favourite movies (and one of mine as well).
Well not quite the highest; Avengers got a 5, Warriors a 4.5++ and a couple more tied with 4.5+ (Lars and the Real Girl and In the Line of Fire) but damn close!

I did blind buy Memories of Murder a while back so may very well look it out sometime soon

You made a better review of it than I did though!
Well of course I did! As I told you before, you may write more reviews than me but it's all about quality over quantity!

To be fair however, even if my review were 'better' it was your review and rating that encouraged me to finally watch it; surely that's the highest mark that a review can attain - to make someone go and watch a film.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Last weekend Rain Man was on PBS so I saw it again for probably around the tenth time. I think I appreciate it more everytime I see it. I agree with you about the humor; It's a really, really funny movie without ever coming close to anything offensive.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Good to see you really liked Rain Man. It's one of my all-time favourites, and along with Magnolia, it's probably the best I've seen Tom Cruise act.

Good review, as always, JD. I'll be interested to see what you think after you've seen Rain Man a few more times. In my experience, the more someone watches it, the more they think of Cruise's performance. Personally, I think the film dies without his performance. That's not to belittle Hoffman's performance, however, as you mentioned, it's Charlie Babbitt's personal journey that's at the centre of the film. Due to his condition, Raymond isn't able to change in any meaningful or significant way, meaning the whole thing rests on Cruise's shoulders.

One minor quibble. Valeriea Gorino plays Charlie's girlfriend, not Raymond's.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Tim Burton

Written by
Scott Alexander (script)
Larry Karaszewski (script)
Rudolph Grey (book - Nightmare of Ecstasy)

Starring
Johnny Depp
Martin Landau
Sarah Jessica Parker
Patricia Arquette
Bill Murray

Ed Wood
(repeat viewing)

++

Is this the ultimate love letter in the history of cinema? Tim Burton's ode to Edward Wood, aka the worst director of all time, is a beautiful and touching bit of hero worship. It's been a favourite of mine for a long time now. On my top 100 list I posted here I placed it at exactly #100 but at the time I hadn't seen it for a few years. Revisiting it now confirms that it should be a lot higher.

The film's greatest achievement is in turning Ed Wood from the laughing stock and worst director of all time that he was, into someone to root for and admire. Yes his ambitions may have far outweighed his talent. And yes his films perhaps weren't that good; awful even! But how can you not admire a man with such a love for film, and such a desire to create magic up on the screen. A man who poured all his heart into his films. How much more preferential is that to the numerous directors since then and who are still around today that produce one soulless film after another, seemingly designed purely to make as much profit at the box office as possible. Michael Bay – I'm looking at you!

This is a film that could very easily have been played up to its rather sad potential. After all it's a story about a series of ridiculous characters who despite their best intentions ultimately failed when it came to movie making. Burton however finds great hope and aspiration in their efforts. These people and the films they made have been ridiculed and pilloried for decades, but Burton shows these people, and Wood in particular, to be rather inspirational figures. Individuals who fight and scrap with everything they've got to fulfil their dreams and get their ideas up on the screen. These are people who just love cinema and want to be a part of the magic. Burton shows them great respect and gives them back a sense of dignity. No doubt Burton sees Wood as something of a kindred spirit. A director with bizarre ideas who could easily be described as 'kooky' it's easy to imagine Burton sympathising with Wood's efforts to get his creations on screen. After all, studios can't exactly have been falling over themselves to get their hands on some of Burton's outlandish and quirky concepts.

Film trivia – While the film may be successful at capturing the spirit of Ed Wood and his films they are worlds apart in terms of their production values. Ed Wood cost more to produce than every single one of Ed Wood's films combined. And it's estimated that the opening titles and credit sequence for Ed Wood cost more than the entire budget of any one of Wood's real films.
Johnny Depp is delightful in the title role, perfectly capturing the wide-eyed wonder of a child for film and the infectious energy he attacked each project with. He's just so easy to root for. So much so that you hope the film is leading up to Ed's triumphant Oscar win for Best Director, but sadly that's not the path his career took. And Depp looks excellent in monochrome, in fact after this I think he should have demanded that every film he made be filmed in black and white! However as good as he is even he can't grab the limelight from the wonderful Martin Landau who gives an absolutely fantastic showing as the legendary Bela Lugosi. He provides glimpses of the iconic character actor that Lugosi once was, but shows the pathetic and pitiful individual that he sadly descended to in his later years. A washed up drug addict unable to get any work, he tries to retain a sense of pride and dignity. His performance is by turns hilarious and heartbreaking. Landau's line delivery is just fantastic, especially when it comes to cursing! My personal favourite moments are when he furiously cracks up over Boris Karloff, and his reaction to the rubber octopus.

Ed Wood surrounded himself with an eccentric group of oddballs, and they are terrifically brought to life and realised by the quirky cast that Burton assembled. Jeffrey Jones is terrific as TV psychic Criswell, and former professional wrestler George “The Animal” Steele just has so much characters in his face alone. And then there's Bill Murray. While it's a fairly minor role that he has Murray makes every second of it count, delivering laughs with pretty much every single line he has. It may sound strange to say (it even sounds strange to me! ) when you consider some of his leading roles in films like Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, but this is damn near close to my favourite Bill Murray performance/character.

Film trivia – One of the things that really drew Tim Burton to the project was the relationship between Ed Wood and Bela Lugosi, and the parallels he saw with his own friendship with Vincent Price late in Price's life.
In terms of its direction and cinematography the film is damn near perfect. It both looks and sounds exactly as it should. The black and white photography is gorgeous and it's hard to imagine how it could even have been contemplated to film it any other way. It's impossible to think that had it been done in colour it would have been anywhere near as effective as it us. I especially love the shot at the film's beginning as the camera pans over Hollywood and has it lit only by flashes of lightning. And while it's not a constant laugh right I do find the film to be terrifically funny at times, especially in the moments were Landau's Legosi loses his cool

The film is fairly minimal when it comes to plot, meandering through Wood's resume of films one after the other; culminating with Wood's opus, Plan 9 from Outer Space. What breaks this up and greatly adds to the film's heart are the three relationships that Wood found himself in at this time. There's his strained and ultimately failed romance with his actress muse Dolores Fuller, portrayed by Parker. It's Wood's revelation of his penchant for cross dressing that seems to put the final nail in the coffin of their relationship. And then there's his romance with Patricia Arquette's Kathy O'Hara, a relationship that seems to be his saving grace. However without a doubt the film's most satisfying and touching relationship is the friendship that develops between Wood and legendary horror star, Bela Lugosi. As a man he grew up idolising Wood is clearly heartbroken to see the predicament that Lugosi now finds himself in. As a result he does all he can to resurrect both his career and his life in general.

So all in all a wonderful piece of film making. Although I do have one note of caution. This is a touching tribute to the man considered the worst director of his, and perhaps, all time! So does that mean in about 30 years time some visionary director is going to create a film of appreciation to the new worst director ever, Uwe Boll? *shudder* Now there's a scary thought!!!

Conclusion – I love this film. While I probably wouldn't call it my favourite Tim Burton film (I believe Edward Scissorhands may still hold that accolade) I do believe it's his personal masterpiece, a lovingly crafted film. A film for anyone who has ever had a dream that they just can't quite attain. Indeed if I wasn't so reticent at handing out perfect ratings this would be a prime contender for a five star rating as it's just about perfect in what it sets out to accomplish. It's so good that not even the involvement of Sarah Jessica Parker can ruin it!

Good review, as always, JD. I'll be interested to see what you think after you've seen Rain Man a few more times.

One minor quibble. Valeriea Gorino plays Charlie's girlfriend, not Raymond's.
Thanks man. Really wouldn't be surprised if it was able to become a real favourite on repeat viewings. Was it close to your top 100 by any chance?

Oh and thanks for that. Will go back and edit just now

Always good to see such love for an HK 100 entrant. That said, you rated it too low.
You're probably right. I should stop pretending I'm a serious film critic who holds the 5 star rating in such high esteem that I only gave it to select films. It's the same with negative films. I recently gave The Birds a 3- score based mostly on Hitchcock's skill when it came to direction but also the fact that I felt I couldn't greatly criticise one of his films given the high esteem he's held in. If I was giving it a score purely on my enjoyment it would have been lucky to get beyond a 2/5 at best.

Oh and as yourself and Deadite are such big fans of Ed Wood I hope you both enjoyed my review. I was actually quite happy with it myself, and given my self-doubt and insecurity I've shown of late that's saying something!