The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Is there someone who consider this as a comedy?

Midnight Run (1988)

Highly entertaining movie. Great cast, Superb characters...

Is there someone who consider this as a comedy?
Dude, it's on the poster. Twice. Of course.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For your consideration (and enjoyment)...

This was a movie that was rather unceremoniously dumped into theaters at the end of August in 1989. That was the summer of Tim Burton's Batman, Indiana Jones at the Last Crusade, Lethal Weapon 2, Back to the Future Part II, Ghostbusters 2, Twins, Parenthood, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, When Harry Met Sally..., Dead Poets Society, and on and on. Nobody went to see Let it Ride. Its opening weekend take was less than $2-million at the domestic box office and it wouldn't break the $5-million mark. It also got mostly lousy reviews. Gene Siskel was one of the few positive voices, though it was not even reviewed on the Siskel & Ebert program (he praised it a few years later on a "guilty pleasures" episode and Roger confessed he had never seen it). I saw it. I loved it. And by the time it hit VHS and cable I was kind of obsessed with it. One of those movies I have completely memorized. Its reputation did rise a bit over the years with those who discovered it long past its brief theatrical run, though it still sits at only 27% on Rotten Tomatoes with professional critics.

But that is all just background of why you may have never heard of Let it Ride, much less seen it. I love this movie. Richard Dreyfus is perfectly cast as Jay Trotter, an unlucky gambler who has promised his wife (Teri Garr, twelve years after playing husband & wife in Close Encounters of the Third Kind) to give up betting on horses to try and save their marriage...when he finds himself with a tip on a race that can't lose. He takes $50 he had squirreled away and heads to the track for one last bet and before you know it he is promptly having the luckiest day of his life. A sunny, silly, funny comedy packed with Runyonesque characters and a wonderful supporting cast that includes David Johansen, Jennifer Tilly, Allen Garfield, Robbie Coltrane, Michelle Phillips, Richard Edson, David Schramm, Tony Longo, Mary Woronov, Ralph Seymour, and Cynthia Nixon.

Whether or not it makes many or any of your ballots I hope some of you see it just because I think it is wonderful and like to share that joy.

*coincidentally the trailer uses Danny Elfman's score from Midnight Run

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And the winner is !

At 31 pts, on 3 ballots... "Paul Blart: Mall Cop"!
Who's going to make this a one-pointer?

Suspect's Reviews

Who's going to make this a one-pointer?
So many that it will not make the one-pointers list. I predict it misses the Top 100 (gawd, I HOPE it misses the list) but gets upwards of seven or eight points.

So 63 "repeat" votes. That's not too bad.
If I read correctly, I think it's going to take repeat votes for movies just to get them on the countdown. There was some mention of movies on single list not being eligible for making the countdown?

@Diehl40 have you decided on any of that yet?

If I read correctly, I think it's going to take repeat votes for movies just to get them on the countdown. There was some mention of movies on single list not being eligible for making the countdown?

@Diehl40 have you decided on any of that yet?
The 100 films with the most points make the countdown. Your top choice on your ballot gets 25 points, your second 24, all the way down to 1 point for your twenty-fifth choice. For the MoFo Westerns list the top choice, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, had 948 points from 50 ballots (out of 67 total ballots). The 100th place film, The Sons of Katie Elder, had only 35 points from two ballots. Which is why I was against making it a Top 100 and would have preferred a Top 75 or 50, but that covered wagon left the barn ages ago.

If a single vote, even a first-placer, gets anything on one of the countdowns it's not a very good countdown.

The 100 films with the most points make the countdown. Your top choice on your ballot gets 25 points, your second 24, all the way down to 1 point for your twenty-fifth choice. For the MoFo Westerns list the top choice, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, had 948 points from 50 ballots (out of 67 total ballots). The 100th place film, The Sons of Katie Elder, had only 35 points from two ballots. Which is why I was against making it a Top 100 and would have preferred a Top 75 or 50, but that covered wagon left the barn ages ago.

If a single vote, even a first-placer, gets anything on one of the countdowns it's not a very good countdown.
Obviously...and of course I knew that, I hosted the 1930s Top 100 countdown.

BUT there was a previous mention of this countdown having a criteria of a film needing to be on at least 2 ballots and/or having x amount of points before qualifying.

BTW a Top 75 or 50 Western Countdown would've been disappointing.