Pre-1930s Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Doll

A fantastical comedy from the genesis of the very clever Ernst Lubitsch's filming career. His later style, where he would take serious subjects and spiced them with elegance, sophistication, cynicism and witty lines, would become known as "the Lubitsch Touch."
For this film there seemed an experimentation with a number of formats by an eager and intrigued Director just beginning in his craft, looking for what worked and what did not. As he grew creatively before going on to some excellent films.
This is not a critique, merely an observation on how many things caught my eye that caused me to think of other films.
Such as the opening with Lubitsch himself making the house and the hill that would be the opening scene made me wonder if this was to be similar to the fantastical, elaborate feature 1902's A Trip To The Moon.

But shifts to a kind of screwball, satire that pokes fun at Religion (monks specifically) and the run of comedic mistakes of a man who does not want to be married, getting married to a doll to fool his uncle, and the doll ends up being a real woman.
Other scenes that caused me to think of other comedic situations included: The chase of him and the eligible towns women wanting to become his bride was like a Keystone Cops set up and, at the same time, the Benny Hill Theme kept running through my noggin as it continued.
Also, the young apprentice seemed like an ideal trouble-maker for any given Little Rascals short.

All of which seem to blend into a nonsensical comedy with something intriguing just below its surface.

A rather amusing little change from the serious tones of this HoF

It's funny to watch these old romantic comedies through the eyes of a modern audience. It(1927) is very much a standard film that we've come to see time after time, the earnest though somewhat clutzy and poor girl falls for the wealthy man of her dreams. We get some typical incidents of mistaken identity and big budget hyjinks. What I think the film does very well is set up Lou's moral compass early on. I believe this is very important for Clara Bow's performance in that it gives her something to work with even though story is fairly mundane.

Clara Bow is very good in this...she's basically a one woman show because everyone else are just these shallow caricatures they feel less like people and more plot points which is the fundamental problem with the film. Bow pretty much dominants the film to the point where you don't really care about anything else, it was sort of like an old Looney Tunes cartoon where every scene was just a setup for Lou to be adorable. All the side characters just didn't feel real to me and when you look past her you have to wonder..just what exactly did I watch and will I remember this a week from now.

The Passion of Joan of Arc

With nearly all close-ups used, we witness the courtroom drama unfold within the expressions and eyes of both Joan and her "judges" who's interest is simply finding a reason to condemn her. Having already decided on her fate.

I have heard they used the actual court proceedings as dialogue, which I appreciated. Though there were, quite often, times when people spoke and we were never given a placard to fill us in on some very intense situations.

What I found amazing was, that even with a mostly up-close camera style, it never grew wearisome, except for the heartbreaking emotions that hit us so hard, having no where else to look but within her eyes or see the calculating machinations of her British captors.
And even after that, the final drawing out of the burning at the stake was the most grueling I have ever seen. Equally heart-breaking as it was mesmerizing.

HE Who Gets Slapped

Laughter - the bitterest and most subtle death to hope...

If I had not thought so, after seeing the number of Lon Chaney films I have, it is a definitive aspect of he characters that he played the tortured soul with powerful empathy and this is one of them.
At times you can see the tormented soul dangle between insanity and cruel lucidity.
While at times a bit over the top, the nuances of Chaney's many characters and the ordeal that pass over his features cannot be denied.

A harsh self-abuse of a man who, having been laughed at after betrayal by a friend/investor and his wife; dives deep into that self same abuse of being slapped and laughed at by becoming a clown in a circus.

Even in his final vengeance there remains a haunting depression to the viewing of his character and what he puts himself through. Which is played out quite powerfully.

As I've stated previously, I had only scene Chaney in make-up with such tragic figures as Quasimodo and the Phantom of the Opera, and now, now I see the torture revealed far more, having the heavy make up removed to see what was merely hinted at previously.

Wow.

Lonesome

This was a beautiful touch when they added a splash of monochrome coloring when the couple had realized they had fallen in love with one another. It was an excellent way to express it when previously we had found them being jostled about in crowds. From the subway to work to Coney Island. And then, on the beach, everyone leaves and it's them. In love.
Very nice.

For my own personal touch, I actually used a list of Motown songs as a soundtrack and they blended quite nicely with everything that occurred as our couple eventually meet and spend the day together at Coney Island.
The only disturbance is when they get separated and lose one another. Only to discover that they actually live next door to one another.

Ah, the mischief that is amour.

I do find it intriguing to see such a preoccupation with carnivals, circuses and amusement parks that seem to populate the backdrop for so many of these silent films.
Though, if I consider it, there is a similar scenario in many films today. Where action occurs during a holiday, festival or music concert. So I imagine it creates an added level of excitement to the given situation and one that continues as a useful tool in cinema.
Just a thought.

While Lonesome has a very basic premise and story it is still entertaining and an enjoyable watch.
Bravo.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916) is 100 years old and I think more of an important film than a good one. Stuart Paton clearly had a vision and will to make an incredible story and adaptation of Well's work and when you remember the age of the film you really marvel at what he accomplished and what story he was trying to tell.

What I was surprised about with the movie was that it didn't just adapt Well's 20,000 Leagues but also attempted to tell the story of Mysterious Island ironically I felt I had more problems with that part because they just didn't know how to light the actors faces. It's hard to get into a film if you can't see what the actors are doing.

But at the end of the day I was entertained.

Yup, Siddon just sent in his voting list. I will try to do the results today. They won't be fancy. Might be later tonight.
Cool, looking forward to it!

I'll really make an effort to do it tonight, hope you're online. I have to go and work outside right now.
I may be, I know 7-9 CST I won't.

I've tallied the points and we have some very interesting results!

All five of us members voted a different film as our #1 choice...and we all voted for our own films as our #1, except one of us.

Two of us voted the same movie in last place, and the other two voted the same but different movie in last place.

The bottom three films were nearly tied in points. And there was a three way tie in the middle of the pack.

And the top two films were only separated by one point.