B-Movie HoF II: The Sequel!

Tools    

Honestly though, concerning quality, i wish everyone in these hofs had access to 4k scans of every title. Ive hated movies until i’d seen them in hd. I know that may sound superficial but its like night and day sometimes, the experience. Im not saying hunters blood would make people insta fans on blu ray. Silly is silly. But, in relation to something like The Child, im almost sure i would have dug that more had i access to a better print of it. Something aesthetically significant deserves presentation unfettered by unsightly digital artifacting.

@MovieGal

I gave both of those movies 3/5 which really isn't low and definitely not terrible. Both of those were really close being good.
I guess reading your review, it seems you didnt think highly of the films.

I, myself, enjoy any gore film involving sacfices to a God.

The Wicker Man (1973) is one of my #1 films. Two films hold my #1 spot within the English Speaking films.

I guess reading your review, it seems you didnt think highly of the films.
Yeah, I guess it's just my tendency to focus on the negative. Still, both of those reviews explicitly say that the films are close to being good (really good in the case of November). I totally get that my write-ups can seem more negative than they actually are which is a reason I've been adding those "close to being good" things in some of them lately. I just find it easier to complain than praise

Also I have to emphasize that "close to good" doesn't mean it's bad. It's bad - OK - good scale I'm referring to with OK ranging from 2 to 3 popcorn.

@Joel

I was assuming you were joking. You weren't the actual target of my post

blah blah blah it's pretty hard to respect someone who only seems to enjoy a fairly myopic and limited view of cinema. I don't know if this is attention seeking or your part that you need to stand out from a crowd by being the negative guy. It would be one thing if you had great recommendations but you don't, often times your noms come in at the bottom of the class so my issue with you is why are you wasting our time?

So thank you for sucking the joy out of the B-Movie hall of fame.

blah blah blah it's pretty hard to respect someone who only seems to enjoy a fairly myopic and limited view of cinema. I don't know if this is attention seeking or your part that you need to stand out from a crowd by being the negative guy. It would be one thing if you had great recommendations but you don't, often times your noms come in at the bottom of the class so my issue with you is why are you wasting our time?

So thank you for sucking the joy out of the B-Movie hall of fame.
Siddon, you're the only person fussing here in this HoF. So what's this all about anyway? Is it that PahaK didn't like one of your movies? So what...I seem to recall you hating movies that were great in my book. And I've hated movies that other people loved. The only thing we're required to do is to give an honest opinion on the movies and be civil about it.

I like you PahaK...even if you hate my movie, you've never insulted me...and you never got upset when I hate your movie. And that's the way it should be

Funny how the guy who gives negative reviews to everyone has given positive reviews to your last two noms.

Siddon, you're the only person fussing here in this HoF. So what's this all about anyway? Is it that PahaK didn't like one of your movies? So what...I seem to recall you hating movies that were great in my book. And I've hated movies that other people loved. The only thing we're required to do is to give an honest opinion on the movies and be civil about it.

I just listed my reasons I mean I have more, but shock of shockers you didn't read it.

Also I don't have an issue with people disliking movies, I have an issue with someone complaining about 80-90% of the noms(which I've never done). I'm giving my time and energy to this site I expect at the very least honest reviews, but if someone is posting as a gimmick or a sock puppet for another poster than you are wasting my time and I have an issue with that.

Funny how the guy who gives negative reviews to everyone has given positive reviews to your last two noms.
Good grief What you wrote smacks of sour grapes. Pahak is consistent in what he likes and what he dislikes. I trust him that he's fair, he has often not liked my movies. But now I suppose I have to prove how silly a claim of favoritism is.

This is PahaK's voting results for the 3 HoFs that he has finished, quoted from his own post. I typed our names next to our movie noms.

16th HoF
Without further ado here's how I voted:

1. Poison for the Fairies
2. Three Monkeys
3. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
4. Frances Ha
5. They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
6. Wait Until Dark
7. 3:10 to Yuma
8. Call Me By Your Name
9. Waterloo Bridge Citizen Rules
10. Mr. Freedom Siddon
11. Naked
1930s HoF Part 1
I slept a bit longer than I expected so missed all the results fuzz. I'm happy that The Scarlet Empress won as it was also my favorite. My ranking was:

1. The Scarlett Empress
2. Child Bride
3. Pepe Le Moko
4. Bride of Frankenstein Siddon
5. Gunga Din
6. Bachelor Mother Citizen Rules
7. Make Way for Tomorrow

Ended up putting Pepe above Frankenstein despite of the ratings I gave. Pepe was one of those movies that started to feel better after the actual viewing was over

BTW, did I make a new record with my nom as it seems that everyone else ranked it last?

Also I'm not yet sure if I participate in part 2. Nothing to do with my success here, of course. We've had a heatwave in Finland (most of the Europe, I think) for almost a month now and it's threatened to continue for about another month. I hate heat and I'm not sure if I'm up to going through another patch of 1930s films in this weather when watching good films is difficult at times. Also I've come to notice that my planned nom is probably seen by quite a few already. Need to think this through.
1930s HoF Part 2
My votes:

01. Humanity and Paper Balloons
02. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Citizen Rules
03. The Goddess
04. The Roaring Twenties
05. The Thin Man
06. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
07. Of Mice and Men
08. It Happened One Night
09. Mad Love Siddon
10. Red Dust
11. Virtue

Top three was clear but the order among them was really tight. 4th and 5th were also easy but their order again wasn't. Bottom three I didn't like.

NIce HoF but it also showed that I really don't like 1930s movies that much. I was planning to watch more for the countdown but didn't feel like it so unfortunately I'll pass the countdown.

@pahaK, I will say that I did not agree with your opinion that Hunter's Blood had horrible acting and writing. I think the acting is what made the movie stand head and shoulders above another movie of this kind (we know how those go - they're incomprehensible). So at least HB laid it out comfortably with dialog that drove the story and built the characters, which is another rarity. I think the script was a Deliverance knock-off but aside from that, it is its own universe completely and takes it further in some ways, namely the gore and suspense (thank God not the sodomy!).

This is a case where I feel that quality of presentation plays a part. If I'm watching something (of course I can only speak from experience , which could come off snobby), it has to be looking good so I can invest in it. If it looks ****e then I kind of tune out and become labored and annoyed.

I'm not saying this is what happened to you, I may only be lightly suggesting it played a part. Then again, you say you like VHS dupes so that probably isn't it.

But yeah, man. Totally disagree on Hunter's Blood with you. I think it's a classic in every sense and very funny, mostly unintentional.

I had to get that off of my chest.

I'm all for some healthy debate. Actually, that's been missing from this Hof. But other stuff like personal stuff, not at all. That's never missing. I mean, it's usually there, but no one is missing it. Though I do feed into a few members' antics here and there, and create my own. Not too sorry for that, though.

This is a case where I feel that quality of presentation plays a part. If I'm watching something (of course I can only speak from experience , which could come off snobby), it has to be looking good so I can invest in it. If it looks ****e than I kind of tune out and become labored and annoyed.

I'm not saying this is what happened to you, I may only be lightly suggesting it played a part. Then again, you say you like VHS dupes so that probably isn't it.
I'm not bothered by bad A/V quality as long as the dialogue is clearly audible (even that doesn't matter if there are subs).

But yeah, man. Totally disagree on Hunter's Blood with you. I think it's a classic in every sense and very funny, mostly unintentional.

I had to get that off of my chest.
Unintentional comedy is really hit & miss with me (and as you might expect with some leaning towards the miss). There were some funny lines in Hunter's Blood but it just kept hammering the same message over and over (arrogant city boys, stupid rednecks, rinse and repeat) becoming really awkward.

But hey, it's fine to have different tastes. All my reviews are completely In My Honest Opinion so no one else has to agree with them. And just to make it absolutely clear I review every single film based solely on its subjective entertainment value - I don't care whether others like a film or not and I'm definitely not going to adjust my scores to better fit in or pamper someone (not you, btw) who can't handle differing opinions.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Meanwhile. . .

Watched Night of the Creeps, and enjoyed it, and will get a review up sometime this weekend.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Night of the Creeps

This is one of those B flicks I really should have seen back in the day and pretty sure I would have fully enjoyed it at the time.
Not to say I didn't at this late stage, I really did. The sarcasm, the pithy side remarks, especially by the real star of the show, the burnt out detective still broken up from seeing his slaughtered girlfriend with some of the best lines of the film. "Thrill me." Classic.
There was a lot of funny scenes and spoofing of 50s horror films as well as horror films in general. Hell, even the alien ship in the beginning looked pretty snazzy.
I think my one and only complaint in this movie is Chris. To be honest, Cynthia would have done better with JC in my opinion, but that's a very minor nitpick for a very fun and enjoyable flick.