B-Movie HoF II: The Sequel!

Tools    

The Editor is a Argento homage I don't know if this qualifies as a B-film. Everyone in this film over acts on purpose which I think is antithetical to the idea of a competition like this. Ironically had the film been played straight with a different set of actors I probably would have liked this.

The plot of the film is a series of murders happens on the set of a horror film. As each lead dies the editor has to recut the film, the editor in the story is a crippled man who has a narcisitic wife (Paz de la Huerta) and a crazy director (Udo Keir). The writer/directors play the leads...one the editor and the other the crazy investigator.

The film in a film thing doesn't really work because they use the same level of special effects. Had they changed the tone of each type of story I think the film would have been elevated. To me that is were the film really falls apart because it's a lovely shot film. I also enjoyed all the nudity the sexiness of the film kept me engaged with the story. You have a number of attempts at humor but none of the jokes to me seemed to land.

depending on how this HoF goes, I may try and lay a stake into B-Movie HoF III: The Beta Band. It'll be an homage to Beta Band's in-title only album called Hot Shots 2, of course riffing off of the film Hot Shots Part Deux.

It will be a specialty HoF because the only noms can be part 3's of a film or franchise/series..and they must be B movies, of course.

Maybe I outta just start the thread and stake my claim this weekend? lol

Title may need a bit more refining so not quite ready yet.

I've seen The Editor, too. I guess I kind of just chalk it up to being borderline slapstick and completely lunatic-driven. It's an homage first and foremost, but also a silly comedy poking fun at giallo. A parody. Not everything works but it sure had me laughing a lot, which I do remember enjoying. Here's my initial review of it.

The Editor(2014)
Directors: Adam Brooks/Matthew Kennedy

Oh my God, how do I even talk about this movie?

The Editor is a "mystery" horror film centered around a film editor who somehow, someway - gets surrounded by grisly murders that parallel the film he is cutting together. The look of "The Editor" is that of some old Argento and/or Soavi production, but also leaps into its own thing with characters popping up who seem to be just there to deliver badly dubbed lines. On purpose, of course. Tim and Eric go yellow, or Reggie Watts writes Bava. Not quite but...

Oh, this is definitely a comedy. I'd say it stands on the edge of complete slapstick. As if Airplane! and Profondo Rosso got together and had a baby. I was laughing my ass off throughout, and probably would have laughed harder had I more energy. Things just kind of happen. Someone's voice gets way, WAY loud for no particular reason at the end of a sentence. People impulsively shout for no apparent reason. Guys smack girls around just to lay down the man-law once in a while. This movie is totally insane, and it knows it.

This film is not for everyone, that's for sure, but it has a decently rendered design and lunatic narrative that celebrates the old gruesome giallo films of Dario in an even more twisted way because now the violence is turned up to 11, just because it can be. It wants to make you sick. Normally, I'd bow out of this sort of thing but the movie is just so damn funny I had to jot a few things down about it. I miss comedies like this. Not necessarily edgy Italia-Murder-Fashion comedies (since I believe only one exists!), but screwball comedies that have actual funny stuff within the running time. That helps!

@Siddon raises a point when he brings up whether or not these noms should be doe eyed authentic b pictures, or whether they are allowed to be parodies of b pictures. I think for the fun of that the line should be blurred as all the noms seem appropriate, if a bit glaringly obvious to some, myself included.

The Editor is an actual B picture. It wasn't a top hollywood production, and it certainly doesn't have Tom Cruise signing autographs at its probably non existent press run. So, I think it's safe. Its intentions are to spoof b pictures, but it still maintains a modest budget and some inherent flaws, as also mentioned by Siddon, that I think can qualify it as a contender.

Same with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Just my thought on it, anyway.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
@Siddon raises a point when he brings up whether or not these noms should be doe eyed authentic b pictures, or whether they are allowed to be parodies of b pictures. I think for the fun of that the line should be blurred as all the noms seem appropriate, if a bit glaringly obvious to some, myself included.

The Editor is an actual B picture. It wasn't a top hollywood production, and it certainly doesn't have Tom Cruise signing autographs at its probably non existent press run. So, I think it's safe. Its intentions are to spoof b pictures, but it still maintains a modest budget and some inherent flaws, as also mentioned by Siddon, that I think can qualify it as a contender.

Same with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Just my thought on it, anyway.
Oh I nominated this, and pretty much for the reasons you describe! I look at it as a sort of love letter and parody of B movies that's so over the top. Plus it has actors in it who frequent the B movie circle like Laurence R. Harvey and Tristan Risk and it was made on a tiny budget. I totally understand why people might be sceptical to call it a B movie, but Astron 6 (who made it) are pretty famous for slapstick, low budget B films. I decided to nom it though because I thought it was totally ridiculous and I had so much fun it with in a way I do with old Brinke Stevens and Linnea Quigley flicks

depending on how this HoF goes, I may try and lay a stake into B-Movie HoF III: The Beta Band. It'll be an homage to Beta Band's in-title only album called Hot Shots 2, of course riffing off of the film Hot Shots Part Deux.

It will be a specialty HoF because the only noms can be part 3's of a film or franchise/series..and they must be B movies, of course.

Maybe I outta just start the thread and stake my claim this weekend? lol.
Cool by me if you host another B Movie HoF, so far you're doing fine

@Citizen Rules ..maybe we should stake our claim to ours....
We already have

No thread is made to mention what it is... .
I guess you could mention it here and say dibs or just keep it a secret until you're ready to do it. Or did you mean start another HoF right now? I couldn't join another at the moment, I'm in 3, Russian Films, B Movies, 17th Hof

No.. not starting it right now.. however I was playing around with some ideas... I will message you about it.

Oh I see Joel already made another HoF thread for the B movies Part 3. We never made HoF threads far in advance, I don't think it's necessary. But if you want to make one, then it's up to you of course.

Oh I see Joel already made another HoF thread for the B movies Part 3. We never made HoF threads far in advance, I don't think it's necessary. But if you want to make one, then it's up to you of course.
@Joel did that to get out of ours..

at @Joel

Ha! It was more just bookmark an idea but honestly i dont wanna capitalize on anyone elses chance to run a b movie hof so..consider it a parked joke.

Ha! It was more just bookmark an idea but honestly i dont wanna capitalize on anyone elses chance to run a b movie hof so..consider it a parked joke.
I'm cool with you hosting again. I've already come up with a half dozen more B movies to nominate...so you got to host again

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules I'm glad you liked the movie. For years I've tried and failed to get people to see it, so it makes me really happy to see others here appreciate it so much.

I love the design you put together for the tomato!

Copyright laws be damned Dragon Lives Again takes a dozen characters sends them in hell to fight Bruce Lee. Now you might be asking yourself how Popeye, Bruce Lee, Dracula, and The Man With No Name manage to embody a shared universe. When does a character cross over into this underworld, certainly James Bond is still alive so why is he in this hellscape. It's best not to think about it.

Frankly this film would be my number #1 runaway winner if it didn't have the tiny problem of the plot being completely incomprehensible. It's a silly film and it has great ambition, I love the sets and the Hong Kong Kung Fu aesthetic to it but the only time I was actually engaged with the plot was with the female characters.

So yeah I don't know where this is going to fall on my ranking, the ambition and audacity of this film is so good but the pacing and script issues make it tricky to judge next to the most comprehensive films I've seen so far.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Editor

"B-Move" Rating

Finishing this one up. Writing this as I watch it actually.

"Where were you the night of the murder?"

"I was at home washing my hair....and shaving my p*ssy"

*Guy lifts up skirt.*

"Your story checks out".

Lots of nudity, playful with colours especially red and blue and decent gore effects. Obviously trying to parody and homage Argento's style, maybe too much as I found the bad dubbing to be distracting. The entire way the film plays out makes it come off as a student film with a decent budget. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something that caught my attention.

Whenever I see Paz de la Huerta, for some reason I think of sleaze. This film had that feeling all over. I laughed a few times, but I wish it were funnier. Lots of the comedy didn't land for me. The Editor is more comedy than horror and more parody than B-Movie. The type of movies it wants to parody fit the bill mores than this one.

Was I into the story? Not really. Was I into the comedy they were aiming for? Not really. Had the humour been more consistent, this could have been a lot more enjoyable. I'll say this though, I would never had watched this film had it not been for this HoF. I can probably say that about a few other titles here as well. I'm glad I did though.

Suspect's Reviews

@Citizen Rules I'm glad you liked the movie. For years I've tried and failed to get people to see it, so it makes me really happy to see others here appreciate it so much.

I love the design you put together for the tomato!
That's the neat thing about HoFs, you can nominate a movie you really love and then others will watch & discuss & vote on it. I hope you're liking your first HoF, and will join more